Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That is the one with the electronic suspension control. Talk about being ahead of its time.
If I remember correctly the point to the electronic control was to soften things up for small bump compliance, forks of the time had stiction problems. A few years later travel increased, stiction was solved and everyone worked towards platform damping to prevent bobbing, which on a certain level does the same thing as stiction.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Seems a little smarter than that?

The new K2 Smart Shock with a "brain." The K2 Smart Shock is the world's first bicycle shock with a "brain." The sensor in the shock reads piston speed and location, and sends the data to the smart circuit. The circuit returns a signal to the piezo valve, flexing the valve in a millisecond to increase or reduce oil flow. that's 1/1000 of a second! The end result is increased tire-to-ground contact, letting you push yourself past the edge and come back in one piece. the "brain" thinks for you, so you can concentrate on riding. Not on bracing for bumps.

A piezoelectric, or piezo, is a ceramic material that can be mamipulated with electricity. In other words, shock the valve with a bit of juice and it opens; cut off the current and it snaps shut. The result is increased tire-to-ground contact, letting you concentrate on riding. Not bracing for bumps.

With conventional shocks, damping has always been a compromise: Set it up stiff, and the bike performs poorly in trail chatter. Set it up plush for rocks and roots, and you risk getting spit off on high-speed impacts. Smart Suspension maintains control in all speed and terrain extremes by compensating for any impact in the blink of an eye.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
This was my first full suspension (except i ran an elastomer "shock"). My father insisted that a 21" frame would be just right for a 13 year old, resulting in a lot of ball banging once i started dirt juming and downhill racing.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My buddy just picked up a Challenger RT Scat Pack in Sublime. Sick car.

When I was growing up in Detroit the streets were full of Mopars (and everything else).
I basically grew up dragging on woodward or gratiot, first in the back of my dad's cars then in my own.
good times.

/coolstorybro