Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that makes sense at first, until we remember that the mayan calendars isn't based on days like the gregorian calendar (and the Julian calendar, which was similar, when leap years started), but on solar alignments (solstices), not days. The december 21 2012 date that people is saying is doomsday is just the date on our calendar which happens to coincide with the end of the mayan calendar; it aligns because it is the winter solstice. leap years/days has nothing to do with it.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
that makes sense at first, until we remember that the mayan calendars isn't based on days like the gregorian calendar (and the Julian calendar, which was similar, when leap years started), but on solar alignments (solstices), not days. The december 21 2012 date that people is saying is doomsday is just the date on our calendar which happens to coincide with the end of the mayan calendar; it aligns because it is the winter solstice. leap years/days has nothing to do with it.
Very good point.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
"our dorm room stay clean"

If you are going to be in college and write a bitchy little letter your grammar better be perfect.
You missed at least 5 other spelling/grammar f-ups, too.

And your correction isn't proper grammar, either. :busted:

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its not the end of the Mayan Calendar either.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091106-2012-end-of-world-myths.html

The Maya calendar doesn't end in 2012, as some have said, and the ancients never viewed that year as the time of the end of the world, archaeologists say.

But December 21, 2012, (give or take a day) was nonetheless momentous to the Maya.

"It's the time when the largest grand cycle in the Mayan calendar—1,872,000 days or 5,125.37 years—overturns and a new cycle begins," said Anthony Aveni, a Maya expert and archaeoastronomer at Colgate University in Hamilton, New York.

The Maya kept time on a scale few other cultures have considered.

During the empire's heyday, the Maya invented the Long Count—a lengthy circular calendar that "transplanted the roots of Maya culture all the way back to creation itself," Aveni said.

During the 2012 winter solstice, time runs out on the current era of the Long Count calendar, which began at what the Maya saw as the dawn of the last creation period: August 11, 3114 B.C. The Maya wrote that date, which preceded their civilization by thousands of years, as Day Zero, or 13.0.0.0.0.

In December 2012 the lengthy era ends and the complicated, cyclical calendar will roll over again to Day Zero, beginning another enormous cycle.

"The idea is that time gets renewed, that the world gets renewed all over again—often after a period of stress—the same way we renew time on New Year's Day or even on Monday morning," said Aveni, author of The End of Time: The Maya Mystery of 2012.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I'd show this pic ot my wife to creep her out, but I hope to one day go on vacation in Australia and I'm thinking this might be a deal breaker. :think:
Good news that photo is not from Australia. Dunno where the Tehran Times gets its photos from but I think I have seen that photo before and it was from Bangladesh or somewhere.

Bad news this photo was
art-wagga-20web2-420x0.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much, snakes and spiders are the equivalent of bears or cougars in North America, yes they are dangerous and could kill you but millions of people go into their habitat every day and with a little bit of common sense bad interactions are extremely rare. Tell your missus to worry about our drivers instead.

Last edited: