Quantcast

Random new bike thread

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How many people use air shocks because they think a spring will break?
I've actually broken a rear shock spring plus a couple of Fox 40 springs. But now I run air shocks because they came on the bike and changing them is expensive.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Broke a few Fox springs a decade or so back too. so not entiely uncommon

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Damn i was considering the 141 as my next trail bike, but that top tube is horrendous. I thought that look was discarded 5 years ago.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Water bottle oriented design needs to die a fast death.
How big of a water bottle is that thing designed for?

1708100792495.png

Also, did you know that you can buy a titanium dust pan from king cage?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
amazed that stuff like this gets produced. does absolutely everyone in the company lack a sense of aesthetics? nary a dissenter that was willing to speak up during the design process & say "hey guys, maybe that silhouette isn't so great?". kinked top tubes are (almost) universally shunned. they've always been ugly. DO NOT DO THEM. i shake my head.

at least it's quite a bit more expensive than the last iteration & really heavy (40lbs)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The lines themselves are one thing but why so many companies decide to paint their bikes in colors ranging from sad green to diarrhea. Keep it Raw if the only colors you can think of only make sense on 1970s German Army Trucks.
This all started maybe 6 years ago when a Santa Cruz product manager passed by the "last chance" aisle in the paint section of Costco. Most of their colors -along with Specialized's- would look better on patio furniture or a fence.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

View attachment 207840

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This all started maybe 6 years ago when a Santa Cruz product manager passed by the "last chance" aisle in the paint section of Costco. Most of their colors -along with Specialized's- would look better on patio furniture or a fence.
With big brands I get it was their "clever" plan to push people to buy more expensive models. Nice paintjob at the top model Giant or Spesh but entry level bike were painted by someone who thinks wood paneled stationwagons are sexy.

This is not an excuse for a brand which basically offers 2 bikes but this is a bit of a German thing looking at the "amazing" paintjobs for some other company. Ghost graphic designers deserve jail time for what they did to those bikes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

View attachment 207840

What is that corn brush bullshit, I want a carbon fiber brush to sweep shit into my ti dustpan.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Damn i was considering the 141 as my next trail bike, but that top tube is horrendous. I thought that look was discarded 5 years ago.
Raaw doing specials on their Jibb at the moment. Could be an option

Was really keen to see the new Privateers but sheesh. I'm not fast enough to get blurry race pics - I need the bike to look ok to make up for the rider.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
am I the only one not jazzed about these high-pivot idler-equipped bikes? I just don't see the need... I may very well be in the market for a new bike in the next year or two, so I am interested in what the market is offering... also not jazzed on the weight of these new bikes. Mine is in the 30-31lb range, and still durable. why are they heading in 35lb range for a 150-160mm trail bike?!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
am I the only one not jazzed about these high-pivot idler-equipped bikes? I just don't see the need... I may very well be in the market for a new bike in the next year or two, so I am interested in what the market is offering... also not jazzed on the weight of these new bikes. Mine is in the 30-31lb range, and still durable. why are they heading in 35lb range for a 150-160mm trail bike?!
Easy there, you're sounding like a last-gen Scott buyer. Have I mentioned lately how cheap used Ransoms are?