Quantcast

Random new bike thread

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
isn‘t squamish the outdoor capital of the world already?
moar = betterer!

or is this just an american thing like with base ball?
the phrase was Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada, and it was actually a scheme by a bunch of residents who put up the signs on the highway without permission before a long weekend or something so they wouldn't get removed right away....they didn't get removed right away and it stuck for a long time.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Myself, I prefer the meme that says "Canada: We are bigger and on top" :D

I blame the google machine for not finding it. But if you do search for that phrase, there is plenty of Canada fun to be had.

Anyways, speaking of new bikes and Canada. I bought a kids bike for my 9yo girl. 24", Norco, hot pink. It's pretty sweet. She'll love it. But did you know they and most bike companies are phasing out kids bike with no suspension, in favor of kids bikes with all the suspension? The LBS said I pretty much got the last kids bike with no suspension in the country. For me, I'm like, there's no way I'm buying a 9yo a full squish and all the cost it'll take. Plus she'll grow out of it in a year. And won't even care about forks and shocks. She'd rather have a basket mount on the handlebars. You know, for important things like stuffed animals. Are you listening, bike industry?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I will for ever be grateful to you for releasing Red Green into our world.

I didn't know about Red Green. Thank you, I will watch that for sure.

Trailer Park Boys is another worthy contribution of Canada to make the world a better place to live in; up there with Rush, Maple Syrup and Poutine.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

I blame the google machine for not finding it. But if you do search for that phrase, there is plenty of Canada fun to be had.

Anyways, speaking of new bikes and Canada. I bought a kids bike for my 9yo girl. 24", Norco, hot pink. It's pretty sweet. She'll love it. But did you know they and most bike companies are phasing out kids bike with no suspension, in favor of kids bikes with all the suspension? The LBS said I pretty much got the last kids bike with no suspension in the country. For me, I'm like, there's no way I'm buying a 9yo a full squish and all the cost it'll take. Plus she'll grow out of it in a year. And won't even care about forks and shocks. She'd rather have a basket mount on the handlebars. You know, for important things like stuffed animals. Are you listening, bike industry?
“kids bike” covers all sorts of ages, Woom bikes have a great range. Cleary seems to be ok.

I just salvaged a specialized hot rock from a neighbors recycling pile and it’s a beast. It’s going to hang in the rafters for a while until my kids are big enough to ride it.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
“kids bike” covers all sorts of ages, Woom bikes have a great range. Cleary seems to be ok.

I just salvaged a specialized hot rock from a neighbors recycling pile and it’s a beast. It’s going to hang in the rafters for a while until my kids are big enough to ride it.
Yeah, I've done the Woom thing. I've bought 3 bikes from them. Can't say I'll buy another. The Norco was cheaper and had better components.

I'm probably moar excited about her new bike day than she :)

Between all the neighbors and kids, I"m pretty sure we've swapped around a ton of bikes. For the cost, the latest of Woom's are the most disappointing. And just wonky. QC has been apparently thrown out the window. If you need that special tool to tighten their stem/headset/proprietary contraption, I've got one for ya.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But did you know they and most bike companies are phasing out kids bike with no suspension, in favor of kids bikes with all the suspension? The LBS said I pretty much got the last kids bike with no suspension in the country.
Find a new LBS.
#That's utter bullshit
Plenty brands do rigid and hardtail kids 24 and 26" wheel bikes

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Find a new LBS.
#That's utter bullshit
Plenty brands do rigid and hardtail kids 24 and 26" wheel bikes
I know. It is BS. But that's what the dude said. I was surprised, cuz it makes no sense. And I agree, there are other places to get a kids bike. But really I was buying a 24" hot pink fully rigid bike for me. You know, for the pump track :D

I will say Norco's site was quite useful. Even tho they discontinued that model, I could still pull it up and they said there was an LBS near downtown Denver that has one in stock. And they actually did! Yay! Birthday present done! Thanks Norco!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know. It is BS. But that's what the dude said. I was surprised, cuz it makes no sense.
I wouldn't have been able to stop myself laughing at the dude and more than likely have told him to fuck off. :rofl:
Probably a good thing I almost never go into any other LBS except for a few friends work in.
TBF it's no worse than some of the absolute nonsense some bike company reps come out with.

I will say Norco's site was quite useful. Even tho they discontinued that model, I could still pull it up and they said there was an LBS near downtown Denver that has one in stock. And they actually did! Yay! Birthday present done! Thanks Norco!
Glad you're sorted!
Got a decent condition silver and pink 24" hotrock here In keep meaning to sell/give away. I don't tend ride it much :girlwink:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

do you get early rider bikes over there?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No reason we couldn't have a damper "standard". They all thread into a crown and bolt into the lowers.

Then we could get new boost dampers or dampers that you can feed brake lines through.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
do you get early rider bikes over there?
You mean like the Striders? No pedals, aka "balance bike"?

Yes, she started on that. Best thing evar if you have the kids. She learned right away how to lean and turn and balance. Now getting her to wheelie, manual, bunny hop. I'll keep you posted :) She's probably not going to be a Rachel Atherton... There's always golf and tennis...:)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No reason we couldn't have a damper "standard". They all thread into a crown and bolt into the lowers.

Then we could get new boost dampers or dampers that you can feed brake lines through.
Well that's just ****ing crazy-talk.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Yes, she started on that. Best thing evar if you have the kids. She learned right away how to lean and turn and balance. Now getting her to wheelie, manual, bunny hop. I'll keep you posted :) She's probably not going to be a Rachel Atherton... There's always golf and tennis...:)
no, these:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't know about Red Green. Thank you, I will watch that for sure.

Trailer Park Boys is another worthy contribution of Canada to make the world a better place to live in; up there with Rush, Maple Syrup and Poutine.
What about "Corner Gas"?
I liked that show.

Kill golf and tennis.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
no, these:

Never heard of them. But super cool. Can't say I agree with their prices, but still really nice looking bikes. Like really nice. I almost want one. Almost...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Multiple reviews of the new Altitude stating the concentric pivot loosened up on them, requiring pulling the crank and using a proprietary tool to tighten back up - good luck with that mid ride. Rocky is recommending loctite. :think: