Quantcast

race decision

i cant decide on what wheelset to ride at sea otter and thought maybe you guys could help.
first you should know that sea otter is extremly muddy this year and might even be raining.
my two wheel sets are:
hope hubs on 24" Arrow racing DHX rims with 2.35 IRC Kujo DH tires
or 26" D321's on ringle hubs with a 2.75 timberwolf in front and a 2.7 Nokian Gazz. in the rear.
Now i was thinking with all the mud a 24" wheel might do better getting through the mud and accelrating out if your stuck.
what would you run and why?
also this is all on a foes fly with a 888

L

luelling

downhilldemon said:
i cant decide on what wheelset to ride at sea otter and thought maybe you guys could help.
first you should know that sea otter is extremly muddy this year and might even be raining.
my two wheel sets are:
hope hubs on 24" Arrow racing DHX rims with 2.35 IRC Kujo DH tires
or 26" D321's on ringle hubs with a 2.75 timberwolf in front and a 2.7 Nokian Gazz. in the rear.
Now i was thinking with all the mud a 24" wheel might do better getting through the mud and accelrating out if your stuck.
what would you run and why?
also this is all on a foes fly with a 888
My personal preference would be to run a 26" with a 2.0 mud tire (maybe 1.9). I just think its faster, and I've had bikes with 24" all the way around. Again, personal preference though.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
dhkid said:
aren't 24 in wheels not allowed in dh races? i am prolly wrong but i thats what i thought.
In pretty much all cases 24's would be a disadvantage. They are legal in every race I have heard of.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
downhilldemon said:
i only have the 2.7's or i would

Go by the Michelin tent first thing when you get there. Ask for a guy named Steve White. Ask him to hook you up with some Mud’s or Comp 16 2.2s. It will cost you half the cost you could get them in the store, but will be worth it. Do it first thing or they will all be sold out fast, being that it will be raining. I bet if its raining there the Michelin riders will be running the Comp 16s. You may want to try a Mud on the front and a Comp 16 2.2 on the rear.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Even when it's dry out, smaller tires are way better at Sea Otter. I used a 2.2 Continental Diesel in front and a 1.9 Nevegal in back last year. It worked great, best combo I've tried in the last decade.

As far as PeeOtter in the mud, I'd stick with a 2.2ish front tire and a small rear tire. I don't think mud tires are really necessary on that sandy DH course. There's only one tricky corner on the course, the sandy bermed one near the top, and you don't want to bog down for a pedally DH just to be safe for one corner.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
bikenweed said:
Even when it's dry out, smaller tires are way better at Sea Otter. I used a 2.2 Continental Diesel in front and a 1.9 Nevegal in back last year. It worked great, best combo I've tried in the last decade.

As far as PeeOtter in the mud, I'd stick with a 2.2ish front tire and a small rear tire. I don't think mud tires are really necessary on that sandy DH course. There's only one tricky corner on the course, the sandy bermed one near the top, and you don't want to bog down for a pedally DH just to be safe for one corner.
Forgot about all the sand out there... Oppps!!!! Only been out to Cal. twice to ride. Yes he is right smaller is better in those race conditions. It you do go see Steve at Michelin, ask him what all the guys are running out there. Then get that.