Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Plenty wrong with this, but most obviously- why not a single speed? Would be a fun option for quick commutes and city A-B riding, but gears are pretty unnecessary on e-bikes of that nature.

26 or 27.5 would also up the fun somewhat.

Clearly the product manger brief, and my ideas are pretty far removed from each other

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wheelies mate.
Gears definitely help with wheelying on a motor

Buy two. Singlespeed one. And see for yourself what I mean.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Doesn’t apply to the launch elite, only the pro and d3o. So $120 knee pads and $90 elbows.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why the fuck would anyone want a fisher price lacing tightener on their shoes when they're riding flat pedals?

The greatest benefit of flat pedals is the ability to wear footwear that doesn't make you look like a complete dork. although it does seem to be a look *cyclists* go out of their way to achieve. :blink:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why the fuck would anyone want a fisher price lacing tightener on their shoes when they're riding flat pedals?

The greatest benefit of flat pedals is the ability to wear footwear that doesn't make you look like a complete dork. although it does seem to be a look *cyclists* go out of their way to achieve. :blink:
Because asshole, I have nerve damage in my fucking feet and they feel better than laces.

God damn but you are a judgmental petty little boy - grow the fuck up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah. I have nerve damage in my left foot after a complicated break and dislocation 23 years ago. After surgery and being completely re-built it also became a different shoe size to my right foot. Sorry to hear you couldn't get laces to work for your injury. They actually allow me the freedom to alter tightness between each set of eyelets giving me far more ability to ease off pressure where required. good ol' fashioned laces also allow me to wear two shoes of the same size. in a way the BOA system simply couldn't.
Thanks for educating me

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Aw look the bawbag can laugh. Not a civil comment, just think others misfortune is funny.

You need help cunt.

Laugh away again, cause that's all you got.

On ignore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not that it matters now but my laughing emoji reaction was at the put down. Not the injury.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
have they started making boa cables that don't break after two years?

serious question, I just ignored anything with them after everything I had from snowboard boots to bike shoes failed between 5 minutes and 20 months

they feel great on pretty much everything when trying them on and using them at first. But I'm pretty sure that was the only design goal

......like rockshox forks

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm not a fan of boas. They are quick and neat. But if they break, you're fucked. If they don't really fit your feet, you're fucked. And you just spent like a gazzilion dollars on something that you can't really fix or remedy, without spending more bazzilion dollars. Uh...Fuked. For the record I'd tried a few Boa shoes. Yeah. Not a fan. And I did say "a few", so yeah. IDK, Size 12 US. Shimano and SpecialEd. Just not a fan.

I am sad I don't have more Shimano DH shoes with laces laying around anymore. I cleaned out the closet. Oh, wait. No, I have 1 pair. And they're awesome. Will tell the wife to bury me with these shoes. But I know she won't. :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not a fan of boas. They are quick and neat. But if they break, you're fucked. If they don't really fit your feet, you're fucked. And you just spent like a gazzilion dollars on something that you can't really fix or remedy, without spending more bazzilion dollars. Uh...Fuked. For the record I'd tried a few Boa shoes. Yeah. Not a fan. And I did say "a few", so yeah. IDK, Size 12 US. Shimano and SpecialEd. Just not a fan.

I am sad I don't have more Shimano DH shoes with laces laying around anymore. I cleaned out the closet. Oh, wait. No, I have 1 pair. And they're awesome. Will tell the wife to bury me with these shoes. But I know she won't. :)
I had to replace one boa and thats one too many. They don’t really seem to get the right spots as tight/secure as Id like. But I guess the only thing shittier are boa knockoffs that are trying to get around the patent with an even worse system…like Northwave.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
have they started making boa cables that don't break after two years?

serious question, I just ignored anything with them after everything I had from snowboard boots to bike shoes failed between 5 minutes and 20 months

they feel great on pretty much everything when trying them on and using them at first. But I'm pretty sure that was the only design goal

......like rockshox forks
boa cables broken so far: 0
fiven ten laces ripped so far: 3

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The one dude I know who runs BOA shoes out of preference carries a spare BOA mechanism in his pack on longer rides. They swap pretty quickly but looks annoying to have to do.

@sethimus dude I've run FiveTens for like twenty years now and I've had soles fall off and all sorts of shit and never once broken a lace. What the hell are you doing? I'm on the Speshy 2Fo thingies now and actually prefer them, although I've also heard good things about the Fox flats.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i have the 2fo dh now, but would prefer them to come with the same metal boas like their clipin gravity shoe. or at least be offered a choice. the only brand who offers both on the same shoe are ride concept, didn’t like their fit though

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Pretty sure boa mechanisms/cables are lifetime warranty.
AND IT STILL SUCKS!!

I actually can't take credit for that. That's what the crowd yells at the local hockey farm team up here when an opposing player is announced that he can get out of the penalty box. :D

Announcer: "Number 23 for Sacramento is now back on the ice."

Crowd: "AND HE STILL SUCKS!!"

Good times. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My Impacts have the sole falling off but the laces are fine

ski boot marketing has led to a new thick Boa being created fwiw. Perhaps that will trickle down, like pee

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Since we're on the subject of shoes... what SPD/clipless shoes these days have wide toeboxes? Been working on unfucking my feet up and finding that my toes no longer fit my 5.10s.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I like everything about the 2fo except on longer or real chatter descents, my arches will hurt. Anyone else get that too?
I got tired feet with the 2fo dh. The sole is too stiff for me. The roost model is what I got instead. I also now got much better feel for the bike under my feet with them than with the dh's.
On both models I didn't like the ergonomic insoles and switched them for a much flatter one. That alone could make your arches hurt?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Planet Cyclery has been blowing out Nukeproof bikes the last few weeks. 50% off a lot of stuff.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I like everything about the 2fo except on longer or real chatter descents, my arches will hurt. Anyone else get that too?
Not really a problem on the arches underfoot, more like the top of the foot/arch. The 2fo's w/ boa never really fit me well. It would always dig into the upper part of my foot/arch. And as soon as you took them off, big ol' marks from the funky tongue/boa would be engrained into the top of my foot.

And in the ski industry, they would say I have a 'low volume' foot. Which means it's pretty flat and narrow. Anyways, I've tossed my 2fo's.

You could try some orthotics? You know, arch support insoles. The Good Feet Store, Dr. Scholls (sp?), your local foot bro, etc.

I'm sticking to my old/new Shimano shoes. None of which is BOA.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
On one hand, I've broken every pair of laces that come in Impact Pros after about a year. On the other hand, I broke both BOA laces on a pair of RC Tallacs in less than a year. BOA is neat looking and nice for getting the tension just right, but I also feel like I spent way more time fucking with the tension than I ever do with laces that are knotted. And when I have broken a regular lace out riding, it's no big deal to tie it back together and keep going. Not so with BOA.

2FOs of all flavors are painfully narrow to me, and it's made worse by a little strip of plastic (like a tire bead insert) that runs up along the edge from the sole. The rubber is pretty great though, I'd say it's got slightly higher surface tackiness than Stealth even. If they ever fix the sizing to match Impacts or Shimano, I'd ride them in a heartbeat.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Maybe I will be fucked, but my one experience with Boa has been without issue.
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi clips that are about 4 years old, are wearing great, fit fantastic and no problem with the Boa. My flats are a pair of really sucky Northwave Clans and some 510 Impact pros that are done. (Even shoe-goo will not hold what is left of the soles.) Neither set with laces feel as good as the Boa on the Pearls. You would think that you could get a better fit with laces, but so far that has not happened.

I would like to try some 510 Freerider Pros and maybe some RC Tallac which come both laced and boa. Need to make a list.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just scooped these up for $45: https://www.cycleloft.com/product/specialized-2fo-roost-clip-385961-1.htm

They feel OK so far, but only one short test ride. Allegedly the 2fo come with the body geometry foot bed, which has a high degree of arch support. I did feel like there was more space up front, but I don't know that I'd call the toebox spacious. Very surprising shoe for $45, super light, reasonably stiff, and I'm finally starting to leave my XC dork roots behind. maybe

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i have the 2fo dh now, but would prefer them to come with the same metal boas like their clipin gravity shoe. or at least be offered a choice. the only brand who offers both on the same shoe are ride concept, didn’t like their fit though
Fox does the Union flat in laces and BOA option

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Specifically, my issue with Boa, apart from reliability and inability to easily fix, is:

Since it's one big long strand running through, it's impossible to tighten areas individually. Great example is my snowboard boots. I can crank the Boa thing down all day long and make it real tight, to the point where it seems like it's about to break, but it doesn't specifically tighten my instep, if that was the loose area. Like if my toes are tight and my shin cuff is tight and I want to cinch down the instep more. Or really, any part independently. It leaves the boots much more loose and I get less control IME. I don't always do this with laces, but when it comes to things like ski and snowboard boots...it is exactly where I want that control.