Quantcast

PSA: In Stock / On Sale

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Don’t you need the performance elite to get compression adjustment? Beyond open, trail, pedal? I mean on a down country bike that’s actually a pretty good shock, I like it more than the double barrel in line.

But you can get dps factory shocks used for like $150, they just need a rebuild. The only thing to watch out for is that the ifp pressure is like 350 on them so you need a shock pump that goes to 500 to rebuild them.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Factory DPS doesn't really have much more meaningful compression adjustment. The little black dial just lets you fine tune the compression plate height, pretty minimal change. Not really worth the extra ka$hima up charge from performance elite.

Stock IFP pressure is 500psi on all DPS shocks. If you don't go that high the lever adjustments are not likely to work correctly (open, firm, lockout).

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Oh shit you’re right the ifp is that crazy high. It’s too bad that you really can’t rebuild these at home because of it.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Oh shit you’re right the ifp is that crazy high. It’s too bad that you really can’t rebuild these at home because of it.
rockshox has a 600psi chock pump that I use to rebuild my DPS shocks.

I don't go all the way to 500psi on mine since I don't use the lockout. I actually even remove the lockout plate. So far 300psi has worked ok for me. It might allow cavitation but I am not aware of it...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Appreciate the look. Ideally searching for that middle-ground trail shock with a reservoir. Came off a Monarch Plus...it was...fine, and I really liked the 1-2-3 flippy switch. A 1-2-3 flippy switch with more compression in open and less in trail would be perfect, but I'd be OK with an adjustable open setting too. I'm running a DHX2 which is superb but also 3x the weight of the monarch.

There's a CCDB Coil IL on jenson for $250, and the manitou mara IL for $220 (from manitou). They also have the mara pro, but I'm not confident it will fit my frame. I think a 4 way compression adjuster should be OK, but separate Hi/lo with a climb switch is tops.

50% off: https://hayesbicycle.com/products/mara-pro
Mezzers on sale: https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/forks

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Appreciate the look. Ideally searching for that middle-ground trail shock with a reservoir. Came off a Monarch Plus...it was...fine, and I really liked the 1-2-3 flippy switch. A 1-2-3 flippy switch with more compression in open and less in trail would be perfect, but I'd be OK with an adjustable open setting too. I'm running a DHX2 which is superb but also 3x the weight of the monarch.

There's a CCDB Coil IL on jenson for $250, and the manitou mara IL for $220 (from manitou). They also have the mara pro, but I'm not confident it will fit my frame. I think a 4 way compression adjuster should be OK, but separate Hi/lo with a climb switch is tops.

50% off: https://hayesbicycle.com/products/mara-pro
Mezzers on sale: https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/forks
Are those Mara shocks as the previous Manitou ones, in terms of the negative chamber being filled up only when you put the shock together and not equalizing everytime you cycle them as it's the norm with RS/Fox/Suntour/DVO?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Skip the ccdb. It’s $180+shipping to rebuild it every year and they don’t sell the tools or parts to rebuild it yourself.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are those Mara shocks as the previous Manitou ones, in terms of the negative chamber being filled up only when you put the shock together and not equalizing everytime you cycle them as it's the norm with RS/Fox/Suntour/DVO?
Yeah, @HAB did a review for blister and said midstroke was lacking, but otherwise it sounded reasonably positive. I think it's one of those "If it works for your bike" deals.

Skip the ccdb. It’s $180+shipping to rebuild it every year and they don’t sell the tools or parts to rebuild it yourself.
True, but that's about the cost for every shock out there. Rebuilding my monarch would be $160 without a custom tune, and I'm willing to bet a CCDB would last longer than this little thing between rebuilds at least.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I’m not sure it would last longer. They didn’t put enough thread engagement for the 3 screws that hold the piston to the rod in and mine worked out the first time after less than 50 hours. Thankfully cc warrantied it and the rebuild but when they made a point to say my warranty was still only going to be good from the purchase date I kind of got the hint that this was going to happen again and again and replaced it with a used dvo topaz that I can rebuild at home.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
OneUp has 30% off pedals going at the moment. Says only for 24 hours, not sure when it started.

Can grab the plastic ones for $40cdn, not bad.

The rebuild kits and parts also look to be on sale.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I’m not sure it would last longer. They didn’t put enough thread engagement for the 3 screws that hold the piston to the rod in and mine worked out the first time after less than 50 hours. Thankfully cc warrantied it and the rebuild but when they made a point to say my warranty was still only going to be good from the purchase date I kind of got the hint that this was going to happen again and again and replaced it with a used dvo topaz that I can rebuild at home.
Do you like the topaz? I'm tempted by a Suntour Triair which seems pretty similar, but I'm not up to rebuilding my own shocks yet. My makeshift shaft clamps for the roco allow the shaft to just spin and I eventually gave up...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I had a TriAir for 3 years in my Rallón. A notable improvement over the Fox CTD it originally brought. Since seals were much easier to source here in Argentina than Fox or RS ones, I rebuilt it a couple of times, and played a lot with the volume spacers and piggyback volume/pressure until I found my happy medium. It resisted bottom out pretty well, and I never felt like it was overheating or fading. The rebound was a tad slower than I liked though.

Especially when brand new, those seals were

A solid cheap option. Also, they seem to be always on sale on Germanz sites such as R2 Bike or Bike 24.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Do you like the topaz? I'm tempted by a Suntour Triair which seems pretty similar, but I'm not up to rebuilding my own shocks yet. My makeshift shaft clamps for the roco allow the shaft to just spin and I eventually gave up...
pretty happy with the ripmo topaz tune on the trail pistol. I don’t have to choose between the lsr I like on tech and the lsr I like on jumps like I did with the cane creek. The compression tune in open feels pretty close to the tune I had on the CC, trail just feels like open but without any small bump compliance, and pedal mode is for sissies.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

some oddball tire sales amongst their bikes that they peddle

27.5 x 2.3" High Roller II or Ardent Race 3C or Ikon EXO for $37.88
29 x 2.2" Ardent Race 3C EXO or 29 x 2.3" High Roller II 3C EXO for $37.88 as well
29 x 2.6" DHR II EXO or DHF EXO for $47.88

SX Eagle 12 speed rear derailleur for $41.88, SX shifter for $23.88
NX Eagle 12 speed rear derailleur for $64.88
XT M8000 11 speed rear derailleur for $62.88
XTR M9120 12 speed rear derailleur for $77.88

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

some oddball tire sales amongst their bikes that they peddle

27.5 x 2.3" High Roller II or Ardent Race 3C or Ikon EXO for $37.88
29 x 2.2" Ardent Race 3C EXO or 29 x 2.3" High Roller II 3C EXO for $37.88 as well
29 x 2.6" DHR II EXO or DHF EXO for $47.88

SX Eagle 12 speed rear derailleur for $41.88, SX shifter for $23.88
NX Eagle 12 speed rear derailleur for $64.88
XT M8000 11 speed rear derailleur for $62.88
XTR M9120 12 speed rear derailleur for $77.88

That website looks like a magazine ad from 1993

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Some pretty crazy prices on Suspension stuff for the two other Australians.
Guess when you factor in multiple trips to the post office to send the Fox stuff back it's probably still not that good a deal.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just ordered 3. Never realized that they came with the tool.
Was all over one of those until I checked my headtube length.
You need 210mm from bottom of crown to top of stem.
I have 200.

Well fuck.

At least I picked up a new front Exo+ MG DHRII for 92 and two TLD and one Fox Ts for another 60, so not bad overall.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I don't know if it is a result of the "state of the industry", but PB buy/sell is currently full of sponsored athletes offloading new gear for pennies on the dollar. I have not seen it to this extent in many years.

Picked up some new Maxxis DHR2 DH & DD casing tires for $45 each, brand new full face for about 1/3 current retail, etc.
It's new gear offload season for the Pros and a massive buyers market.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Wow. Really? BOGO deal? On a full bike? Jeebus. I can probably sell my Ibis and get 2 Kona's for "free".

I've heard the Process is a good bike. Or how do the Canadians say it? Prooocess :)
Isnt it BOGOF, pronounced Bog off.
Generally going down the bogger. Meaning shits gone bad.
Wow record profits arent being reported anytime

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
man, i forgot how entirely sane bmx pricing was. so i can get a couple complete bmx's for ~the price of a fancy (ie, sram trans) derailleur. nice.