Quantcast

PORTLAND Thread

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Rode syncline today, it was perfect so we tried Post Canyon. Rained the whole time. We drove around alot using the gfra map to find some of the new trails.

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Anyone know how the trails are?
Twisted, you said that it rained yesterday. Was it the downpour type rain or just sprinkles. Do you think the trails would be tacky or just plain slippery?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Dammm, good urban riding yesterday. Rode around with my friend eric and toshi all afternoon, got a free pizza from schmizza because they said it was burnt (it was almost perfect...) and then rode at night with twisted and saw him do some crazy wicked stair gaps. Now I'm seriously thinking about a hardtail.

Awesome riding with you guys, we'll definitely have to do it again.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by frizanko
Anyone know how the trails are?
Twisted, you said that it rained yesterday. Was it the downpour type rain or just sprinkles. Do you think the trails would be tacky or just plain slippery?
twisted told me it was raining to the point where they had to stay in the car and drive around, if that helps at all...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by zane
Dammm, good urban riding yesterday. Rode around with my friend eric and toshi all afternoon, got a free pizza from schmizza because they said it was burnt (it was almost perfect...) and then rode at night with twisted and saw him do some crazy wicked stair gaps. Now I'm seriously thinking about a hardtail.

Awesome riding with you guys, we'll definitely have to do it again.
it was good riding with you and eric as well. today i am nursing my poor, old back. :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Toshi
it was good riding with you and eric as well. today i am nursing my poor, old back. :D
dude, you're only like 3 years older than I am. If you're old that makes me almost old, and that's not cool. But yeah, I'm sore too from pedaling my squish bike. I want a hardtail!

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Hey guys, just got back from riding. Went to the new Forest Grove skatepark, then the dogwood park dirt jumps in Cornelius, then Beaverton skatepark.
Toshi, I think you would like the F.G. park, lots of trialsy type obstacles. My friend Kevin who does that kind of stuff had a good time. They are in the process of building dirt jumps at the park as well.
Zane those stair gaps were nothing, wait till next time!
Post Canyon, very wet, slippery obstacles, lots of puddles, but some of the trails were fine.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
i went down to ride the stuff on the discovery trail today to find it was all torn down. I know a few people from here like zane got to ride some of the more recent stuff. There wasnt lots there, but there was enough to have some fun. Whoever pulled it out did a lot of work hauling out all the wood and filling in all the holes and such which means it was probably the city.

On a different note... does anyone want to do some riding this week at larch or leadbetter or someplace fairly local?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
wow, that's pretty lame about discovery. Last time I was there was about 3 weeks ago, it was looking pretty good. Except there were a ton of little kids on bmx machines trying to build stuff- they had already torn down the ladder drop in the 2nd area so we scared them away with our big bikes.

eknomf- Answer your phone! I tried to call you this past weekend to go ride some urban, and 3 weekends ago to hit up larch (it ended up raining...). I have your mom's number, PM me a different one if you're not there anymore.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
yeah i think part of its demise was due to the fact that poorly built stuff was popping up right by and in some cases on the walking trails.. probably because of some of the kids you saw. And im not usually around to answer my phone so you usually have to leave a message.
edit- my number is 360-571-2292 for where i usually am

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Speaking of Vancouver, the Wendy's jumps looked really good when I saw them a week ago.
Anybody want to ride urban Portland thurs. ? Give me a call after 3:30, leave a message if I don't answer.
Tim
cell (503) 307-3586

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
DOOD!!! I went to the Grotto in portland yesterday after a trip to universal for some new grips, and that place looks DAMN GOOD. I mean the rhythm set is like 20 jumps long and it all flows together. Once I get my hardtail I'll be there trying to remember how to ride trails...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
You pretty much need a bmx to ride there. All the jumps are real tight together and none are really that big, I did much better on my bmx there.
Leaving to ride right now, bye.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
does anyone have plans for heading out to PC or something this weekend. I want to ride some of that stuff now that i have a bike working again.

frizanko- theose wendys jumps are on 4th plain by the vancouver mall behind wendys and a firestone tire store. They are a few blocks east of the 4th plain and andreson intersection

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The Wendy's jumps are located in Vancouver on fourth plain across the street from Barnes and Nobles, Dick Hannah auto mall, and Winco Foods, behind the Wendy's. Heading east on fourth plain turn right (south) at the light (might be 78th st). There is a tire shop and a Blimpy's, park on the side street.
The jumps are really sandy so it is best to go there when it is wet out. I started these jumps back in '91 and have tried to design in good water runn-off to keep puddles away from the trails. I haven't lived there or worked on them in years so don't blame me for any weird stuff.
Here's an old picture of me at Wendy's. This jump is long gone but there are some nice other ones there.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I'm hitting PC saturday, wanna hook up? I might actually take my downhill bike this time because I actually found some new drops that might be alot for my xc bike.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Originally posted by TWISTED
I'm hitting PC saturday, wanna hook up? I might actually take my downhill bike this time because I actually found some new drops that might be alot for my xc bike.
Saturday would work for me. Are you thinking of shuttling.. because that would be much easier with dh bikes. If so we should probably try and get a few more people to make it easier.. so any other monkeys thinking of riding PC? Do you know the trails very well? I know most of the mid to lower parts pretty well but ive been wanting to go see the work thats been done one the very top few trails

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
PC Sat? I was thinking about hitting it on SUnday, but I'd like to ride with a group too. Hey Eknomf how's the DJ? got it fixed and full of oil yet? man that was a weird break eh...

Toshi...where are ya? what are your plans? Anybody else...Frizanko?

Cheers

Dave

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Dave, check your e-mail. I want to go , but Jeremy is being difficult and refuses to go untill he gets his Fetish built. I have to help him move a huge pile of dirt he had brought in for some stuff we're buildin behind his house too... If we can get it done tomorrow I could prolly do something Sunday... Or maybe we could do something a lil closer in tomorrow like Leadbetters.
BTW this weather isnt supposed to last much longer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Get_Some
PC Sat? I was thinking about hitting it on SUnday, but I'd like to ride with a group too. Hey Eknomf how's the DJ? got it fixed and full of oil yet? man that was a weird break eh...

Toshi...where are ya? what are your plans? Anybody else...Frizanko?

Cheers

Dave
hi dave. unfortunately i'm in no position to ride, as i have the total of 0" of suspension distributed among my 3 bikes at the moment. the z1 is apparently lost on its way to marzocchi by the fabulous usps, and i don't have a 20mm front wheel else i'd stick the monster on the evil... :dead:

if someone has an extra 20mm wheel they are just dying to loan me then i'll be up for post canyon or whatever... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by frizanko
Toshi, When are ya supposed to be getting your Canfield?
it was supposed to be last week! soon, in any case.........

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I talked to marzocchi and they said i have to send it in to get it fixed. Part of the internals were connected to the part that ripped off i geuss. Ill be riding my new full spspension bike.

twisted - what time and place do you want to meet tomorrow? I might have another friend who would come with too.

toshi - if your wanting to come ride pc i have a 20mm front wheel you could borrow from my hardtail.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by eknomf
I talked to marzocchi and they said i have to send it in to get it fixed. Part of the internals were connected to the part that ripped off i geuss. Ill be riding my new full spspension bike.

twisted - what time and place do you want to meet tomorrow? I might have another friend who would come with too.

toshi - if your wanting to come ride pc i have a 20mm front wheel you could borrow from my hardtail.
pm sent. i now have no excuses not to ride :mad: so will show up wherever/whenever specified

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
Damn Toshi I thought you'd have the damn Cannfield by now, so you finnaly killed the z1 eh :D I would have thought it was toast after our last PC session !BANG! ;)

so ekonmf (was it Ryan? sorry man I'm terrible with names) what kinda squishy did you get ?

Sat won't work, I have to go pay speeding tickets and go to the dump, but I'm up for Sunay as long as it's not flooded out.

Frank, did you go to Primus on Tuesday? man if you didn't you missed one hell of a show :D

AHH dammit, now everyone's readdy to ride, so what are your plans guy's I really want to hook up again...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Eknomf we'll be heading out towards PC around 9 or 10 (I think).
Get_some or anybody else, if your free let's go ride urban pdx tonight.

Tim
503 307-3586

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by TWISTED
Eknomf we'll be heading out towards PC around 9 or 10 (I think).
where and when should we meet up? i volunteer the use of my pathfinder as one of the shuttle vehicles since i can carry 4 bikes outside now.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I live close in pdx. I don't have a car.
Toshi, wanna pick me up on the way out? I'm thinking between 9 and 10. My friend Jason lives in Battleground so it's kinda a bother for him to come get me. I think He's bringing Zane.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
charlie, clean out your inbox (and outbox and message tracking) :eek: . sunday sounds good tho :thumb:

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Alright, jason's picking me up at 7:30 and we're picking up his friend in the couve at 8:00. So I guess we'll all meet up on the mountain, I have toshis and twisteds cell #'s, so it should be all good.

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
Toshi-
All clear.

Let's meet at the truckstop at 9:30.

Anyone else want to go? It's the TravelAmerica truckstop on I-84 at exit 18. See you there. We're riding wildcat. DH/FR shiznit.