Quantcast

POC Helmets and Armour: A Revolution in Protection????

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
if i'll make it up there again, i'll drop you a line and we could go ripping bad wildbad or todtnau, gell! my supply of maultaschen is almost gone, also could need some rostbraten mit spaetzle soon! :redface:

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH
I liked the look of some of their ski helmets. However they did not fit my head at all. (I currently ski in a Giro 9, and a Giro Zen mtn bike helmet, and a giro monza road helmet.

My head is big...and kind of oval (say what you must). Giro fits. Many others have not.

Have to try these new ones. The USA warehouse is next to my office.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I've been lucky enough to deal with the POC ski helmets and body armour for the past 3 seasons in the ski industry, simply put they are the safest products on the market for all forms of protection.
POC has sponsored the US Ski Team, Jon Olsson and Tanner Hall (greatest freeskier on the planet). Teams and athletes like this don't just jump from Giro sponsorships for $$, this stuff is simply better....
Plenty of riders jump ship simply for an in increase in pay. But there are so many variables involved in most of these deals that it's not really fair to assume it comes down to any one thing. Especially when such assumptions carry hefty implications regarding the safety or quality of other tested, certified, and proven brands.

Here are a few examples that will hopefully more fully tell the story.

Even after his best friend CR's massive head injury, from which he almost died and spent months in rehab, Tanner still chooses NOT to wear a helmet outside of competitions, which he was required to do in his agreement, to me it seems pretty obvious safety is not his #1 priority when choosing a helmet sponsor.

Another thing to consider is that Red Bull pays Tanner a very substantial sum for 100% ownership of his helmet graphic, meaning NO sponsor logos can be featured, to include the helmet manufacturers logos. Many helmet companies, particularly those whom already have the majority of the market share would choose to pay an athlete a hefty salary for a helmet they cannot have logos featured on. Whereas an up and coming brand might need the exposure badly enough as to pay a lot more. Also, having fewer athletes in total the smaller company may be able to dedicate a larger sum of their budget to one or two flagship athlete whereas a larger more established brand that has many athletes on their roster has to spread their budget around more carefully. For example, If Giro dumped an Athlete like Gretchen Blieler to open up budget to pick up, for the sake of conversation, Torah Bright because she was the new "it girl" that would reflect poorly on Giro. So Giro would probably rather try to find a way to get the new athlete and keep the ones they've worked with in the past. These top-level athletes don't ride for free so it's very complicated for the companies with a long history and reputation to uphold to make it all work out in the end and keep everyone satisfied.

As far as the US Ski Team, just to be a helmet sponsor to one (or more) of the riders a manufacturer has to buy into the program at astronomical costs (tens of thousands of dollars), this is in addition to paying the athlete a salary. Again, logo's are compromised due to restrictions placed by the team. This can be detrimental for a lot of companies, to the point that they would rather sponsor an alternative athlete than jump through these hoops.

Most importantly! With all of this said, I'm sure POC makes incredibly safe helmets and please do not misconstrue this as a bash against POC in any way. I just wanted to clear the waters as to how this relates to other brands and what implications it does NOT have on their quality, even though it might seem that way at a glance. :)

Last edited:

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
tanner hall is a douche-bag. and i wont buy any poc stuff simply cuz he wears it.

oh and he is not the greatest free-skier on the planet not even close. if free-skiing means jibbing a handrail then give him the crown. but if it has anything to do with slaying powder and hucking cliffs Shane and Seth both destroy him.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I would prefer a complete upper amour with full arm and elbow protection.
with you on that one.
seems like dainese will get my cash again, although i must admit the POC stuff looks incredibily well.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
As I stated in another thread, I feel I am the only one here who thinks this body armour line looks like entry-level rubbish. The pads look bulky, sharp edged, non-ergonomic and weirdly positioned. The straps look like thin elastic bands which look uncomfortable. They look like pieces of white molded plastic strapped to your body (which, in a way, they are I guess...).

They remind me of entry-level old-school Dainese. And it's no secret I hate Dainese, so that may be the reason...

As for Playbiker using them, the lads I know on the team don't even wear body armour or in Skinner's case, gloves!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I played with it a bit today and tried some on. The fabrication feels very high end, as do the materials. Full jacket with sleeves and integrated elbow pads coming next year.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I played with it a bit today and tried some on. The fabrication feels very high end, as do the materials. Full jacket with sleeves and integrated elbow pads coming next year.
that's my opinion also, i tried the jacket on @ eurobike, nothing to complain. the backprotector is in length size the biggest i tried, covers your whole spine...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Has anybody had much experience with the POC DH gloves? Do they stretch much after some use?
I found a pair on closeout, got the size that erred on the large size according to the size chart, but they feel pretty tight. I'm wondering whether I should stick it out if they'll stretch a little, or if they're always going to be too snug, I'll have to send 'em back.