Quantcast

POC Helmets and Armour: A Revolution in Protection????

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
I've been lucky enough to deal with the POC ski helmets and body armour for the past 3 seasons in the ski industry, simply put they are the safest products on the market for all forms of protection.
POC has sponsored the US Ski Team, Jon Olsson and Tanner Hall (greatest freeskier on the planet). Teams and athletes like this don't just jump from Giro sponsorships for $$, this stuff is simply better.

I could go on forever about how they are the first company ever to look at traditional helmets and improve them in every way possible with the use of neuroscientists and their knowledge of head impacts and how helmets can be desinged to slow down headspeed, reduce helmet bouncing, be lighter, dampen impacts, etc etc etc
ie:
- kevlar lining (to stop penetration)
- EBB foam (multi impact liners, yes your helmet can take more than one hit)
- Visco Elastic Padding (soft material that hardens on impact and diffuses energy away from spine, knee etc) for a spine protector, knee shin and elbow protectors

anyways take a look at this stuff, i've been wanting to unleash this stuff for a while on the public, the time is now

http://wheels.pocsports.com

ps- yes i know i must sound like I work for POC, I DON'T, i pretty much ended my DH racing career because of head injuries, I want people to know about and use the best equipment available to them :)

Last edited:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
POC has sponsored the US Ski Team, Jon Olsson and Tanner Hall
Just got the new issue of Freeskier in the mail today and saw the new POC ad, which proudly stated the above sponsorships. I was more than a little surprised, since ski helmet sponsorships have been dominated by Giro for years.

EDIT: Damn, just checked out their product line... it's huge! They're making helmets, full upper and lower body armor, gloves, goggles, and a full line of apparel? I'm impressed.

Last edited:

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
I have heard through the POC rumour mill that some serious MTB athletes are being courted as we speak, there will certainly be some big names on this stuff by next season

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i've heard rumors about this happening and after looking through the catalog, i think it's safe to say that my next armor purchases will be from poc.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I tried their leg armour at Eurobike...it is bloody amazing....the hard knee cap really does slide over the knee when pedalling and the "soft" part that remains fixed is their Visco Elastic Padding. At the moment I have Mace leg armour which has articulated joints at the knee but POC leaves that very much in the shade for movement and comfort and protection.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The hip shorts look particularly interesting. One of the most painful non-fracture injuries I ever landing on a flat rock on my hip. I was in Dianese leg armor and a Safety jacket and my hips were about the only thing unprotected.

tailwind

Chimp
Mar 15, 2008
I hope all there knee/shin plate armor isn't all white like I saw in a few pics at eurobike. Otherwise its looks interesting.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
What are thier prices like? 661 prices or dianese prices?
Their pricing will be in the upper end to start, they will likely trickle down after a season or two with new price point models, just like they did in the ski business.
They want to establish themselves as the SAFEST and BEST choice for protective gear and as we all know the best isn't cheap. That said I have pricing here now for Canada that shows them to be in line with dianese. Top helmets in line with TLD. Their brain bucket (slalom/4X/park/DJ etc helmets will start around $89) will be very competitive right out of the gate. The 4 season brain bucket around $199

dowst

Chimp
May 9, 2008
Last race season I broke three of Giros carbon race helmets, and finally learned my lesson after receiving a few concussion and having to be taken away in an ambulance. Bought a POC and couldn't be happier. The thing is solid and it's the only company I'll trust my head with now.

Not saying that Giro's stuff is bad, but compared to POC it's like trusting your head to a cardboard box.

If anyone's doubting the level of safety that POC offers, just check out Scott Macartney's crash on google. If he was using anything else he'd probably be dead.

POC stuff is legit. It will be very very expensive (expect their top helmet to be well into the $300-$400 range), but they have set the industry standard for the ski industry and I'm sure they will do the same for the cycling industry. What's $400, even $1000, compared to death or brain damage? Not much in my book.

Last edited:

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
i tried them, they fit nithing like i've tried b4, its the pittards leather, ergo knuckle/finger guards and non bulky feel that set them apart

again try em at interbike for yourself or ask ur shop to bring em in, they'll sell

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
If anyone's doubting the level of safety that POC offers, just check out Scott Macartney's crash on google. If he was using anything else he'd probably be dead.
Googled that... you mean the guy who ended up sliding down the snow on his bare head cos his helmet came off?

Their stuff sounds the goods but you probably could have picked a better example!

Edit: after checking out another video, his helmet didn't come off till well after the initial impact, he was already on the ground, so never mind me!

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Googled that... you mean the guy who ended up sliding down the snow on his bare head cos his helmet came off?

Their stuff sounds the goods but you probably could have picked a better example!

Edit: after checking out another video, his helmet didn't come off till well after the initial impact, he was already on the ground, so never mind me!
you should check out his blog too on US SKi team site, he attributes the helmet to doing its job, deconstructing upon major impact, diffusing all the energy into the helmet, instead of into his head

he also does not get paid for POC, he gets free equipment from the Ski Pool, so he isn't getting paid for anything he's saying

great guy too

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Is the guy on page 9 of their catalog wearing a Giro helmet? Thats what it looks like to me, but its hard to tell what their helmets actually look like form the drawings.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
hmm. cool stuff. as an employee of a euro.firm trying to make it in the N American market, i have to give their marketing guys props in that their "workbook" is very well written for its N American target audience.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
they did forget Rankin in the catalog though
POC was a late addition as a Playbiker - Ironhorse team sponsor, consequently only the 4 riders pictured in the catalog were using POC products. There were conflicts with the other riders existing contracts with their personal sponsors.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
POC was a late addition as a Playbiker - Ironhorse team sponsor, consequently only the 4 riders pictured in the catalog were using POC products. There were conflicts with the other riders existing contracts with their personal sponsors.
gotcha...there was someone else missing too from the pic right? another girl?

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Looks like I've found some new knee pads for next year. I love the back protector what was in the suit (the adaptive tee or whatever) but don't want shoulder/elbow protection or chest.