Quantcast

Passport required for U.S. to Canada?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
My folks are heading up to Vancouver and have been getting conflicting info. on whether you need a passport to fly to Canada from the U.S. Anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Proposed Timeline for Implementation for Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Requirements

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Yup, passport or photo ID + birth certificate
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada will be required to have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

dirt ron

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: When entering from the United States, U.S. citizens are encouraged to show a U.S. passport. If they do not have a passport, they should be prepared to provide photo ID and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport

This is from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html
I have heard that its easier if you have a passport, I have not been yet so can not speak from experience.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Pau11y said:
But a passport will cover all your bases.
And is a lot easier to carry. I used to use it for bars and **** when i lived in boulder too as they wouldn't recognize a quebec medicare card (our official ID) or drivers license. They had to get the book out etc..it was a major hassle.

I carry mine now when i go to Vt and Ny just out of habit. Much less delays at the border - drive up, flash a passport and away you go. No stupid questions, no searches etc.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Even if not strictly required, passports are a good idea, they make it a lot easier and help show that you are aware and respect the fact that Canada is a different country.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
We got across last week with just an ID. My friend forgot his passport, but we still went for it. I figured i'd leave him at the border if we got stopped. Friendship only goes so far when whistler is involved......

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yea when we got to fernie to ride or lefbridge to party you need an id and sometimes a student id (other from of id) to get over. make sure you have a clean record dui's no go sma ewith drug charges. they knew everytime me and my buddies had gotten i n toruble including **** that had been dropped in court

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
BMXman said:
so how long does it take to get a passport? I leave for Canada the 28th of July!....D
If I recall correctly (but this was pre-9/11), my wife had hers rushed and it was about a week. Totally depends on the passport office. Some are busier than others.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
dexter said:
yea when we got to fernie to ride or lefbridge to party you need an id and sometimes a student id (other from of id) to get over. make sure you have a clean record dui's no go sma ewith drug charges. they knew everytime me and my buddies had gotten i n toruble including **** that had been dropped in court
Any felony conviction disqualifies you from entering Canada for (I think) 5 years. Then you can fill out some paperwork and pay a fee to show you've been "rehabilitated." I have a friend who had this problem. Got convicted of something when he was 18 and then, when he's 30, it comes back to bite him in the ass at the Canadian border.

I think the same stuff goes for entering the US as well.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Bullit21 said:
Thanks guys. I will remember to do a search next time Peckerwood:)
THHPBPBPBPBTH!!

Crossing the border has always been something very "close" to me. I have never lived further than a couple of hours from the Can-US border (on either side). So I have always crossed quite a bit. I kinda forget that there are lots of people that don't see the border too often!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Lex said:
Any felony conviction disqualifies you from entering Canada for (I think) 5 years. Then you can fill out some paperwork and pay a fee to show you've been "rehabilitated." I have a friend who had this problem. Got convicted of something when he was 18 and then, when he's 30, it comes back to bite him in the ass at the Canadian border.

I think the same stuff goes for entering the US as well.

More like 10 years. I know a guy how lives within spitting distance of Whistler on the US side. But he's not allowed into Canada because of some past indiscretion. Of course he could fill out a few forms and all would be peachy.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
MMike said:
More like 10 years. I know a guy how lives within spitting distance of Whistler on the US side. But he's not allowed into Canada because of some past indiscretion. Of course he could fill out a few forms and all would be peachy.
Wow! Ten years! I didn't realize it was so long.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
dexter said:
Whoooooaaahhhh ... hold on a minute there buddy. I got a DUII 8 years ago. You saying I can't get into Canada now? I'm headed up there in 2 weeks. Anyway to find out if one can get across prior to the gate? I'm assuming the Drivers Licence and Birth Certificate will be fine. :confused:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Whoooooaaahhhh ... hold on a minute there buddy. I got a DUII 8 years ago. You saying I can't get into Canada now? I'm headed up there in 2 weeks. Anyway to find out if one can get across prior to the gate? I'm assuming the Drivers Licence and Birth Certificate will be fine. :confused:
Maybe if you got a DUI in Canada and it was never resolved. Dudley Do Right will arrest you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You can get a passport in 3 business days if you're located in a town that has your local Congressman. I went to the post office to get the passport completed, requested rush ship and he advised me that if I walk my paperwork over to their offices and good old tree cutting, land developing Republican Charles Taylor's office snagged it, fired it out and I was ready to roll in 48 hours.

Oh, and I know nothing of Passports at the US/Canada border...but on the Mexico/US border, you cut out a good 10-15 minutes of misery as they fumble through birth certs, etc.!!! They just scan, stamp and you keep on rolling...that alone was worth my money. Fear of Federalie's giving cavity search was high!

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
ioscope said:
You don't need any ID
To go to Canada...
This can be true, it is coming back that can be a problem. I had some friends that only after begging and a complete car search where allowed back into the US because all they had was their MI drivers license.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
A few months ago I got into the USA with only my drivers licence. When going back into Canada I was questioned alot more and had to get my birth certificate out. Kind of backwards from what ive been told guess it just depends whos working.

But a certificate/drivers licence is fine for now, they are going to require a passport in the near future from what I hear.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
BuddhaRoadkill said:
You will likely be asked to report to the immigration office in the airport when you attempt to leave after retrieving your luggage. I have a MISDEMEANOR that is 8 years old and I have been stopped at the airport the last 2 years. Once in the immigration office they will determine if you are employed, have enough cash to last through your trip, and that you actually have a return flight. Then they will charge you 200 canadian dollars to enter their wonderful country. This whole process will take at least an hour.

I asked the agent at the counter(3 weeks ago)what I can do in the future to avoid this process, or at least the cost, and she said to get a document from a USA law agency showing that you have had no further arrests and bring the document to the canadian consulate before your trip.

Good luck to you.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
We went up to Whistler over the weekend. Going into Canada they didn't ask for any ID. Coming back to the US - we gave our passports and the guy spent a few minutes at his computer typing in our info, etc. then we were let back in.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well what they don't tell you is you need the ORIGINAL birth certificate:mumble:...guess who was just denied plane access when he showed up with a COPY of his birth certificate and a current drivers license...my wife is pissed...we have lost a day of our vacation.

We arrived at the airport 2.5 hours before take off and they told me I needed the original when I was 5 feet from the boarding door with the plan taking off in 20 minutes. I could have easily went back home and got the original had they told me sooner...but now I'm still at home...and we leave tomorrow...I was pissed but all things happen for a reason....D