Quantcast

Parts - LBS vs the web

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hah! my rear one will go mushy on me if i flip the bike over to work in it; a few grabs on the lever when it's right side up fixes it. not the front one...prolly just needs some air released and a bit moar fluid.

and yeah...you're gonna want your brakes on farlow!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
hah! my rear one will go mushy on me if i flip the bike over to work in it; a few grabs on the lever when it's right side up fixes it. not the front one...prolly just needs some air released and a bit moar fluid.

Dude that rear Hope was so screwed that I ran a full bottle of fluid through it and changed the seals, had two other mechanics work on it, sent it back to Hope service center, and still failed.

Riding Farlow with only a front brake is like tying to cut an onion with a table saw. It's doable, but not recommended by anyone with a brainstem.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I know this has been beat to death before, but...

I decided that I'd like to replace my HFX brakes with Shimano XT. I have a local bike store that I like to support, so I asked for a parts estimate.

For two BR-785B brakes and a 160 and a 203 mm RT-866 6 bolt Ice-Tech rotor, the estimate (sourcing from QBP, I think) was $560.

JensonUSA price is $306, and stated MSRP per JensonUSA is $390.

So if I purchase through LBS, it would increase my cost by roughly 80%., and I don't understand why their pricing would be 44% over MSRP.

I want to support my LBS, but...

Odd pricing?
In my shop I retail the 785 XT brakes (minus the rotor) at NZD $199.90 per end.... and according to the currency converter
199.90 NZD = 154.01 USD total $308.02
Rotors would bump it up a bit more of course but not another $260US!!!!!

I would have said my shop was average pricewise for an LBS

However that said not all shops get the same wholesale pricing..... could be they are not getting "Shimano service center" pricing (or whatever the local equivalency is) or getting screwed on freight charges? There can be a myriad of reasons why they are that high, it might not just be a case of shop owner greed.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Pinch flat on the way to work so since I do not have the tools at work I dropped off the bike. I also had a creaky bb that needed to be taken out and regreased.

First the sales assistant immediately tried to tell me I needed a new BB.

They just called me to tell me I needed new break pads front and rear which is BS.

For a tube installed and the bb in and out 46 Dollars this is on a 300 Dollar bike.

So much for supporting the LBS.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Pinch flat on the way to work so since I do not have the tools at work I dropped off the bike. I also had a creaky bb that needed to be taken out and regreased.

First the sales assistant immediately tried to tell me I needed a new BB.

They just called me to tell me I needed new break pads front and rear which is BS.

For a tube installed and the bb in and out 46 Dollars this is on a 300 Dollar bike.

So much for supporting the LBS.
Jeebus that's steep. I had a friend who couldn't work on his 60.00 garage sale, commuter bike so he took it to an LBS and they charged him 350.00 for not a whole lot of work and cheap parts.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Jeebus that's steep. I had a friend who couldn't work on his 60.00 garage sale, commuter bike so he took it to an LBS and they charged him 350.00 for not a whole lot of work and cheap parts.
That's pretty f'd! Hopefully they had a coversation with him about just getting a new bike for the same or less.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Perhaps when the cheap yard sale bike needs work and you yourself can't do it, the "good deal" bike really wasn't a good deal in the first place. Or maybe your POS bike isn't worth the time and energy to make work/safe, and the shop guy is only trying to say it without saying it.
When someone finds an old car in a: barn, shed, field, garage, you don't drop it off at Jiffy Lube and tell them to "just do a tune up" and expect the next day.
Or maybe the shop guy is a douch. /rant

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I paid my LBS to assemble and install my warranty replacement XTR brakes. I could give rants-a-pleNty about the warranty, but won't...

The ASSEMBLY I paid for (on warranty brakes...) yielded a poorly bled set of the crown jewel of brakes.

I brought it back today to get them re-bled.

Should I bill them for my time and fuel? They charged me shipping, assembly and fluid on brakes that were supposed to be covered under warranty.

Getting close to the cost just buying a replacement XTR trail off chainreaction when it first failed 5 months ago.

"l"BS...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I paid my LBS to assemble and install my warranty replacement XTR brakes. I could give rants-a-pleNty about the warranty, but won't...

The ASSEMBLY I paid for (on warranty brakes...) yielded a poorly bled set of the crown jewel of brakes.

I brought it back today to get them re-bled.

Should I bill them for my time and fuel? They charged me shipping, assembly and fluid on brakes that were supposed to be covered under warranty.

Getting close to the cost just buying a replacement XTR trail off chainreaction when it first failed 5 months ago.

"l"BS...
Sounds to me like your socks might be too short.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yes, I read the instructions for my XTR brakes actually and it says this.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
View attachment 119546
I have this set of XT 4 pot brakes. Adapter for the size rotors you want and all. Bled and ready to go. Very powerful. Arguably the best brake set ever made. They are yours if you want them. #Courtesy Phone Failure
After seeing this post I thought of my XT brakes, an even older version than those. I bought them new on closeout five years ago and was gloating to myself a wee bit as to how well they've held up.

A day I later noticed that the rear lever is getting mushy and has a tiny leak. I really like these older XTs, they have long levers and are very simple and easy to work on. Looks like I might have to suck it uo and buy some of those stubby one finger lever brakes. I don't like the idea of only one finger on the rear.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
After seeing this post I thought of my XT brakes, an even older version than those. I bought them new on closeout five years ago and was gloating to myself a wee bit as to how well they've held up.

A day I later noticed that the rear lever is getting mushy and has a tiny leak. I really like these older XTs, they have long levers and are very simple and easy to work on. Looks like I might have to suck it uo and buy some of those stubby one finger lever brakes. I don't like the idea of only one finger on the rear.
Just replace the lever with a SLX one. SLX is cheap and decent enough for most folks....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You can get trekking versions of the newer Shimano brakes that come with longer levers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
replace whatever comes on the new bike with the xts...it's worth it. Sometimes I'm shocked that anybody rides anything other than shimano brakes. Dead simple, reliable, and powerful. Very little not to like. Maybe not as robust as a full on set of DH brakes, but no DOT fluid, commonly available...blah blah.

As for the LBS, my most recent experience involved walking into the shop I bought my $3500 specialized from, standing at the counter for 5 minutes, have 6 people ignore me before I finally caught my sales guy and got him to answer my question. This is one of the busiest shops in Boston/New England, and they have no time to help out a paying customer....so fuck 'em, buy the shit online and learn how to do it yourself. The cost of a new tool is pretty similar to the cost of having them service it, and if they don't want to help customers, than I can get that level of service online.

There's a much shittier shop down the street where I go to have work done, buy small parts like cables and housing and tubes and cages...I just don't get the attitude.

In boxes. not takeoffs.

More silliness: Needed some gloves, which I bought without looking at price before getting home:.
  • LBS tag says price is $29.99.
  • Receipt says $26.99, "Total savings $3.00".
  • Manufacturer's tag USD $22.95.
I think I must have failed in math or something.