Quantcast

Parts - LBS vs the web

I know this has been beat to death before, but...

I decided that I'd like to replace my HFX brakes with Shimano XT. I have a local bike store that I like to support, so I asked for a parts estimate.

For two BR-785B brakes and a 160 and a 203 mm RT-866 6 bolt Ice-Tech rotor, the estimate (sourcing from QBP, I think) was $560.

JensonUSA price is $306, and stated MSRP per JensonUSA is $390.

So if I purchase through LBS, it would increase my cost by roughly 80%., and I don't understand why their pricing would be 44% over MSRP.

I want to support my LBS, but...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Shimano is best bought from euro sources (chain reaction etc).
You can pick things up for below your dealers cost.
Thread in DH forum lists a place selling f/r Saint brakes for $200.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1st, consider the 180 front rotor. You may find the 203 overkill for anything short of full on DH.
2nd, chainreactioncycles.com has XT sets for under $200 USD. IF you're going mail order.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are some things that just make no sense to buy from the local shop. That would be one of them.

That being said, the LBS just isn't for everyone. I can't stand what is regarded as the best LBS in town. Not because they don't do a good job, they just cater to the person who has no idea what they want and requires a 30 minute conversation to buy anything. I always know exactly what I want and hate having to wait around for 30 minutes until someone gets something from the back or check me out. I would much prefer an open warehouse with self-checkout service.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Coming from a background of working at shops, and loving bike shops... My philosophy is support them when it makes sense, which it sounds like it doesn't in this case. Most shops will at least attempt to match or get close to online prices. Sometimes they can't, but it sounds like he just rattled off a number out of the book. Maybe tell him the situations and see what he can do. Maybe he can find another supplier where It will be fair for both of you?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I always know exactly what I want and hate having to wait around for 30 minutes until someone gets something from the back or check me out.
Assuming they even have it..

Bike shops here suck. Not just because of the prices, but because of stuff like this. If you know what you want, you're going to have to go in and wait around for them to order it in. Chances are, the order will be goofed up or the wrong part will be shipped.

I still buy tubes and stuff from the local shop, but its not worth really buying anything else there.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
There are some things that just make no sense to buy from the local shop. That would be one of them.

That being said, the LBS just isn't for everyone. I can't stand what is regarded as the best LBS in town. Not because they don't do a good job, they just cater to the person who has no idea what they want and requires a 30 minute conversation to buy anything. I always know exactly what I want and hate having to wait around for 30 minutes until someone gets something from the back or check me out. I would much prefer an open warehouse with self-checkout service.
vending machine

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
vending machine
I have this really cool vending machine on my desk. I type in what I want in a "search field", I click on what I want and a few days later it shows up on my front porch. I don't have to leave the house, talk to anyone or wear pants.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
As already said with the strong dollar exchange rate to the Euro and Pound you get some amazing deals on Shimano in Europe night now.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We have a local shop here that everyone loves, but their shit is always so expensive. I had the same experience as JBP, their 'take-off' XT brakes were significantly more expensive than Jenson's BNIB. There's also the fact that Jenson is only about 20 minutes from my house, so I can just drive out and pick them up.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I was talking to my buddy about buying some xts yesterday. Why pay more than 250 for a set? If your patient it's not hard to find pairs going for that or less. I love my lbs but generally only buy components where I may be handling warranty claims.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Your newly ordered XT brakes are unrideable now that Shimano has announced 11 speed XT brakes :(

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You all realize most pricing at your LBS is set by the parts manufacturers and distributors by vendor agreements. QBP will nullify the agreement if you violate their MSRP pricing policy. No parts, no business. If you have access to a QBP price book check it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Odds are stacked against the LBS, which sucks. Price difference, parts in hand was $234 vs $610 for brakes, rotors, and adapters. Nonetheless, I think I have a way to square things for the proprietor.
Reach around?

Sell him brakes for cheaper than he can get them?

Gently nuzzling the back of his neck with your mustache as you quietly tell him not to scream?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
JBP1.jpg

I have this set of XT 4 pot brakes. Adapter for the size rotors you want and all. Bled and ready to go. Very powerful. Arguably the best brake set ever made. They are yours if you want them. #Courtesy Phone Failure

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not to seem succinct but, No. Keys to the racing Honda son.... Took years to reach this skill level....
Is that a rabies tag on your keychain? Inoculation is probably a good idea considering your close trans-species relationships.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Is that a rabies tag on your keychain? Inoculation is probably a good idea considering your close trans-species relationships.
Best advice you have ever given to us here. I thank you once again. I am required by law to carry that with me. It expires next year....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Jim, I had a pair of those 755 for like 12 years. Best brakes ever. Then I plumbed them up to new version XT levers ( a few versions old now) and they got even better. If you need a back up pair of those master cylinders / levers, let me know, I've got the originals in the spare parts box. Also have 2-finger Dangerboy levers that fit too.
Bought 'em for like $150 .. used them for a decade+, sold them for $100. Boosh.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I have a set of Hope Mono Minis that I will give to Mmike as he is about the only thing I hate more than those miserable piece of shit brakes.
Those brakes are the spawn of Anne Coulter and Garry Busey, completely unreliable and hateful to use.

jstulman, you'll appreciate this one. I had those brakes on my DH bike and the rear just never worked right. A friend drove up to Asheville so we could ride in Pisgah. I wound up riding Farlow without a functioning rear brake. Pull the lever to the bar and nothing, zip, nadda. That was one of the dumbest thins I've ever done on a bike. I would never do it again.