Quantcast

Ontario or New-jersey?

Sweet-Ride

Chimp
Oct 25, 2009
Quebec City
Hey, me and my freinds want to go ride somewhere else then mont St-Anne next summer and we have been looking for places to go and we are now hesitating between, Diablo Freeride park in New-Jersey and Blue Mountain and Calabogie in Ontario.

So yeah if anyone has ridden blue mountain and diablo, witch is better for downhill? If you have other sujestions that aren't more then 10 hours away from Quebec it would very appreciated.

Ty

Sweet-Ride

Chimp
Oct 25, 2009
Quebec City
Well I actually have time for a 4-5 days trip. And no i'm not stuck with only those two mountains but I actually had great comments about them that's why I was hesitating.

So yeah i'm up to any sujestions.

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
yea might as well do a loop, hit a few spots. highland in nh, plattekill and whiteface in ny, and bromont would be my top picks. maybe 2 days at bromont, cuase there are so many trails and they are all flippin sweet.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Diablo is sick, but be prepared, its small. Alot of trails and probably impossible to hit them ALL in 1 day, but its 7 up and 3 down for the whole day. i only mention this because im going to venture a guess that the mountains in canada are bigger than new jersey.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I actually ride alot at Mont St-Anne and Bromont. I want to try something else. And how is highland and plattekill?
Plattekill is a good time I would def hit Plattekill and Diablo I mean I love diablo I bought a house there for that reason...You and your friends will have a great time at Diablo but like was said you need a good weekend there no way your hitting everything in one day alot of trails to choose from very tech rock stuff not as steep as the stuff your used to being from Canada. Plattekill you could do alot of it in one day lots of fun there too pretty good place to go if its been wet out cause it drains really well. But if I had to choose it would be Diablo ist pick then Pkill 2nd Blue mountain 3rd. What about Highland have you ridden there already or no?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Diablo on friday, plattekill on saturday, jiminy on sunday, whiteface on monday, bromont on tuesday.

Diablo, whiteface and bromont are open weekdays in the summer, plattekill and jiminy are not.

If you're feeling sassy, make the trip out to highland as well, but they're only open weekends as of now, and it would be harder to do a loop.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Calabogie is closed, and Blue Mountain is sucky. they closed all their jumps after someone hurt themselves there. Also, this isn't the Blue Mountain in Pennsylvania, this is the one North of Toronto. From Calabogie, it's about a 5 hour drive through some of the worst traffic in North America (Toronto). Riders from Toronto through to Ottawa go to Bromont for real riding. Whiteface is an option too. Ottawa has Camp Fortune (my local hill), but it doesn't run week days. It's small but choppy. Not worth a road trip I don't think, but definitely good as a local hill as it keeps us on our game for Bromont! I'd say you're better off going to Diablo/Whiteface/Highland/Platte... anything other than Blue...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well, im sure not going to Ontario anymore. Thinking alot more about WhiteFacec and Platekill and mybe Diablo. Thx alot guys
if you make it to Plattekill, hit up any of Delta House guys and we'll be more than happy to show you around.
theres a ton of riding there and without knowing the area, youd miss a lot of the goodness

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, im sure not going to Ontario anymore. Thinking alot more about WhiteFacec and Platekill and mybe Diablo. Thx alot guys
Whiteface has an excellent trail map system so it shouldn't be too hard to find your way around. It's definitely a nice alternative to the other mountains on the east coast- it's way tall and has very technical terrain, but it's also pretty shallow...there aren't too many chutes but the trails seem to go on forever...definitely worth a look.

Plattekill is kind of the opposite. It's got a terrible map system and it's worth connecting with a local if possible. Every trail pretty much leads down, and you generally can get through a day with riding no trail more than twice. It's really steep but kind of short, and there are chutes all over the place...

Both are worth doing, twice.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Diablo on friday, plattekill on saturday, jiminy on sunday, whiteface on monday, bromont on tuesday.

Diablo, whiteface and bromont are open weekdays in the summer, plattekill and jiminy are not.

If you're feeling sassy, make the trip out to highland as well, but they're only open weekends as of now, and it would be harder to do a loop.
Highland does Fridays as well, and Th-Sun for part of the summer!

Tiny mountain with few, but awesome trails!

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Why not fly to Vancouver and ride Whistler? For the amount of money you're going to spend on gas you could probably find a seat sale for a plane ticket. AC is $50 each way for your bike and WestJet is $40.

The bike park is open till 8 in the summer and if you get bored there is prime riding in Squamish and Pemberton.

Dunc

Chimp
Jul 1, 2009
Skip Blue in Ontario - 800' vertical, if it rains it closes, and no jumps. I live here and have a pass, also have a pass to Bromont, do go to Bromont!! Diablo is short on vertical but big on progression, endless tabletops, perfectly built jumps, fast gondola, good times. Lake Placid is raw natural mountain, big vertical, sweet view, rough trails up top, easy at the bottom, nothing much around there for places to stay, Lake Placid is $$$.

Do Highland, then Diablo, then Bromont. watch Bromont closes midweek around the 3rd week of August (why is this parking lot so empty!! ahhhh)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Highland does Fridays as well, and Th-Sun for part of the summer!

Tiny mountain with few, but awesome trails!
true, don't know why i didn't think of that.

Agree on the second comment, highland is practically flat but you'd have a hard time finding better prepared trails. I just wish they could get things right the first time things are built, and I'm not a big fan of their rain policy. The exact opposite of plattekill.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
true, don't know why i didn't think of that.

Agree on the second comment, highland is practically flat but you'd have a hard time finding better prepared trails. I just wish they could get things right the first time things are built, and I'm not a big fan of their rain policy. The exact opposite of plattekill.
Rain Policy, do tell

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Rain Policy, do tell
if it rains, they don't run the lifts. Lately they've been better, but in the past they'll close the best trails after it rains (when it's no longer raining). Many days they'll close because of anticipated rain, which I guess is good to save people a drive. It just sucks because I have ridden in the rain, and it won't kill you unless it's really cold....just makes it a little sloppy.

I feel as though plattekill won't keep people from riding unless there's lightning (duh) or if lava is coming up through the ground. Of course, it helps that plattekill is made out of shale and awesome and drains like a sieve.