Quantcast

Online database for rim dimensionz?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I never broke one of those like the OG enves, where the whole weave structure would explode. I did chip them and break sidewalls though. Proceed with caution.
I probably wouldn't, because A - it's kind of a pain to swap tires and B - I have other wheels that I'd mount dh tires onto instead.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What have I done? So... lightness, stiffness. Gotcha. Sure it wasn't for the purple ANO?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dentistry is an ugly ugly profession.

I wouldn't say they're stiffer than a well built steel spoked wheel. Just lighter for a comparable stiffness. I bought some of their trail wheels last year, rode them, retensioned them, rode them again, then immediately put the spokes from the dh wheels on them. Mo betta

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
somehow both sets of carbon wheels i own are surviving with bladed spokes.

I'm poor, so I never built with bladed spokes. Ok, I'm not poor anymore, I just fail to see benefit other than aesthetics. Yes, people hold them to prevent wind up, but never been a critical issue for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm poor, so I never built with bladed spokes. Ok, I'm not poor anymore, I just fail to see benefit other than aesthetics. Yes, people hold them to prevent wind up, but never been a critical issue for me.

To be fair I found those wheels in a trash can, put some enve stickers on them and sold them to john for 90% retail. So he definitely didnt pay full price for the bladed spokes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You mind posting your shortlist?

I have a running list of aluminum rims that would be valid replacements for my current Flow EX (rear), and Arch MK3 (front). I don't have your ERD requirements, so I had short listed the WTB KOM-Tough, Chromag Phase 30, Spank Race 33 (but I'd really have to get over that name). The Race Faces weren't on my radar. But they're added now. I haven't heard anything about the strength of their alloy.

Also, what's your take on offset nipple beds? Worth it?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You askin me?

I haven't ever ridden anything that's the right ERD so my list is kind of irrelevant, especially to anyone with a choice. Can't go wrong with the upper echelon of dt-swiss ever. I'm curious about some of the new mavic rims since they started making a few models outside of their 20year span of zero innovation. That EN827 has me perked up a little bit. The last KOM rims I had liked to poop squeeze out the spoke nipples, but they've changed the wall thickness on the newer ones. If it were me I'd probably just get some dt swiss 471s or 511s.

I've had a bunch of wheelbuilds with offset holes. All it means to me is that I have to pay attention lacing. That's one of the few things that I doubt anyone has any direct comparison on. I imagine it makes it easier to build a really tight (over tensioned) wheel since comparatively there's less sideloading angle when you true it. But mostly meh. That wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You mind posting your shortlist?

I have a running list of aluminum rims that would be valid replacements for my current Flow EX (rear), and Arch MK3 (front). I don't have your ERD requirements, so I had short listed the WTB KOM-Tough, Chromag Phase 30, Spank Race 33 (but I'd really have to get over that name). The Race Faces weren't on my radar. But they're added now. I haven't heard anything about the strength of their alloy.

Also, what's your take on offset nipple beds? Worth it?
If you don't have strict ERD requirements, I'd strongly recommend whichever of the DT EX471/481/511 best meets your weight/strength and width requirements.

Edit, since kidwoo posted at the same time as me: I agree on offset spoke holes. They maybe make it a little easier to hit even tension but really aren't a big deal either way.

Also, only guy I know who ran Race Face rims recently exploded them pretty much immediately, though I'm not sure which model they were.

Last edited: