Quantcast

Online database for rim dimensionz?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
QBP still lets you filter by ERD if you have a login. Whatchu looking for?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Oozy Trail 395
$65 at cost

Spank Industries' OOZY Trail 395+ rims were designed to optimize the performance of both Plus-Size and modern "high volume" standard tires. The OOZY Trail 395+ rim's 35mm internal width is a great solution for riders seeking an ultra-wide aggressive trail rim model that doesn't tip the scales. Combining SPANK's proprietary Dynamal alloy, patented Oohbah profile, and Bead Bite tubeless rim hooks, The OOZY Trail395+ offers a blend of strength and stiffness with excellent tubeless performance.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm looking for someone who reads my post first.

:busted:
I read it you assbag, I was offering to do the search for you. :D It's listed as "Manufacturer Spec ERD", did you just look alphabetically under "E" and then give up?

That Spank is kinda wide at 35mm. e13 TRS is 556, and Enve M7 is 559 if you want close enough and carbon. Sun Helix is 559.5...

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That is most certainly not close enough
This is with the I9 aluminum spokes, right? Don't the spokes usually poke out the back side of the hub flange a little on those? Losing 1.5mm there doesn't seem like a big deal.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is with the I9 aluminum spokes, right? Don't the spokes usually poke out the back side of the hub flange a little on those? Losing 1.5mm there doesn't seem like a big deal.
Yep, i9

You need like 2mm on the spoke to account for 1mm difference since they're angled.

I've built a few other brand rims on i9 wheels, there's a little bit of wiggle room there but not a whole lot. I found another spank rim that looks like it will work. And it's about half the price of the mighty holy i9 rebranded whatevers

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
How about Mavic rims? They have a few in 556~560mm range and 27~30mm internal width.

The RF rims are good for a front wheel, but not so bueno for the rear.
I tend to agree based on my casual observations. And WTB Asym rims I ran couple years ago were buttery as well. Heat-treated welded rim > non-treated 6069 pinned rim

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Same thing really.

Go hold a pile of 32 i9 spokes in your hand vs. some real gauge steel ones. (IE not some pinner triple butted crap)
Except no one builds with straight gauge steel spokes because they are weaker when built than butted.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Except no one builds with straight gauge steel spokes because they are weaker when built than butted.

Sure they are. Butted spokes: Lighter, thinner, but magically stronger.

I'm probably one of the few people who have literally just changed out spokes on wheels and nothing else multiple times. I've broken far more 2.0/1.8 spokes at the butting than any 2.0 straight gauge spoke. The idea behind butting is resilience of the wheel to allow flex, not strength.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm probably one of the few people who have literally just changed out spokes on wheels and nothing else multiple times. I've broken far more 2.0/1.8 spokes at the butting than any 2.0 straight gauge spoke. The idea behind butting is resilience of the wheel to allow flex, not strength.
I equate resistance to impacts with strength. You may be one of the few or only person that is using that idea to build wheels.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I equate resistance to impacts with strength. You may be one of the few or only person that is using that idea to build wheels.
Not even close. It was a team maxxis mechanic who clued me into this 20 years ago, backed up by a good friend of mine who runs a bike shop and has had his fair share of WC runs (IE him go fast). This was the guy building wheels for mike king and john kirkaldie. I'm far from the only person that knows this stuff. Just like mountainbiking is finally getting the roadie out of its mouth with frame geometry, the way people regurgitate sheldon brown when it comes to wheelbuilding strength needs to stop. That dude never shorted 20ft rock gaps.

If you want stiff strong wheels build with straight gauge spokes. If you want lightweight flexy wheels that give more you use butted spokes. I haven't broken a straight gauge spoke on dh wheel (or trailbike wheel for that matter) ever. I've broken tons of butted configurations. Because they're so 'resilient' they allow flex to the point of failure. I used to build my trailbike wheels with butted front/straight gauge rear for this reason. It's a tradeoff but straight spokes which have more mass are most certainly not 'weaker when built'

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not even close. It was a team maxxis mechanic who clued me into this 20 years ago, backed up by a good friend of mine who runs a bike shop and has had his fair share of WC runs (IE him go fast). This was the guy building wheels for mike king and john kirkaldie. I'm far from the only person that knows this stuff. Just like mountainbiking is finally getting the roadie out of its mouth with frame geometry, the way people regurgitate sheldon brown when it comes to wheelbuilding strength needs to stop. That dude never shorted 20ft rock gaps.

If you want stiff strong wheels build with straight gauge spokes. If you want lightweight flexy wheels that give more you use butted spokes. I haven't broken a straight gauge spoke on dh wheel (or trailbike wheel for that matter) ever. I've broken tons of butted configurations. Because they're so 'resilient' they allow flex to the point of failure. I used to build my trailbike wheels with butted front/straight gauge rear for this reason. It's a tradeoff but straight spokes which have more mass are most certainly not 'weaker when built'
i stopped annihilating wheels around the time i stopped using butted spokes and started using straight gauge. i'm still chalking it up to magic.