Quantcast

Oldest Working Part?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So I lurk on here constantly with downtime at work. There are so many threads about new components, weight savings ect. and it gives the impression that people are constantly throwing new stuff on their bikes. This got me to thinking about my F4.

I bought a complete 1yr old DH bike back in '01. Since then I have upgraded the frame & shock, fork, drive train, brakes, bars, basically everything EXCEPT my wheel set.

I have been running the same wheelset since day one which makes it 7 yrs old! Seriously I replaced the rear rim once due to a crushed sidewall but they are the same Mavic 321's (with what I believe is 12gage spokes, not sure though) on Intense stamped Hadleys. I think the rear hub was rebuilt about 4 yrs ago when I replaced the rim, but the things still run true and smooth! If it aint broke, WTF.

So now I am considering a new wheel set to drop some weight (complete F4 at about 42lbs) but I really don't need one.

So who else is running something old that is still going strong and functions well?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yup. My 321/bulb combo is going on 5 years old. The rims are fine, though the freehub ratchet is getting a bit worn. In contrast my 823s are coming up on a year old and I've not put down the spoke key yet...

My Hope M4s are also 5 years old and running sweet.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well...if my rigs hadn't been jacked outta my garage at the beginning of last year I woulda been running a 5-6 year old frame, rear shock, and fork...3-4 year old brakes, wheelset, and cranks...As it stands now, everything except the replaceables (cables, housing, pads) is a little over a year old on both bikes...The way it's built though, I expect it to be around for awhile.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
That is my fear about switching wheelsets, these have literally been maintanace free with a yearly trueing.

Yup. My 321/bulb combo is going on 5 years old. The rims are fine, though the freehub ratchet is getting a bit worn. In contrast my 823s are coming up on a year old and I've not put down the spoke key yet...

My Hope M4s are also 5 years old and running sweet.

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
My DH bike has a handlebar (Truvativ Holtzfeller) that I have had for 4 years now. My AM bike has a seat I've been riding since 2002. That poor thing has a rip in the leather right down the middle but I can't find another saddle that I like as much. It is a Fizik saddle but the name rubbed off of it a long time ago.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hadlet front hub laced to a 321 rim.
over seven years old and still rolling true.
easton stem, same age.

x-c stuff.
the orginal xtr crankset and rear shifter. (early ninties ?)

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My DH bike has a handlebar (Truvativ Holtzfeller) that I have had for 4 years now.
Ya see, I've never damaged a handlebar, but there comes a point when I just get scared, and replace it just for piece of mind. Usually every two to three years.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've had the same QR Salsa seat post clamp since 2000. Three different frames and still going strong. I am a little bored with it.

toby

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
Ya see, I've never damaged a handlebar, but there comes a point when I just get scared, and replace it just for piece of mind. Usually every two to three years.
I finally got a new handlebar ordered so this one will probably have one last race down at Angel Fire this weekend. I have been concerned about it for a while now. But not concerned about it enough to replace it.:crazy:

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
Oldest part on my bike is 2001(or 2002, I don't remember) Hayes Comp brake, but one of my friends have '97 Magura Gustav M on his bike, and it's still working as good as new.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I had a King headset last through 6 bikes, it was still going strong when I finally included it in the sale of a frame.

I have an old Mavic 321 that I hand laced to a 20mm DT Swiss front hub that's been on a bunch of bikes and is basically indestructible.

Got some Holzfeller crankarms that are on their 3rd bike.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I think Fraser still has a 2001 or 2002 SRS on one of his bikes...

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i've still got the XT thumbshifters from my old '93 kona killauea. i run the front shifter, upside down on the right (under the bar), as a friction rear shifter on my hardtail...i never need to adjust the rear deraileur.

edit: here's a pic>

Attachments

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've got the original xt 4 piston brakes from 01' (m755) on both my bikes (06' DHR and 05' Reign). These have been on an 01' Joker, 01' AS-X, 02' DS-1, 03' Big Hit, and an 04' DHR.Both sets are still going strong, I've just had replace the occasional broken lever blade.

I also have a set of 5 year old mavic d321's that are still in great shape, I just use lighter wheels now.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i got:

a pair of easton cullys since 02
shimano xt cranks since 02
i think my easton monkey lites are from 01
king head set since 01
i think i got a pair of maxxis minions 60a that i use from time to time which are from 02

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Can't remember how old it is exactly but I use a Schwinn 1972 inner tube in the rear,it's made in USA and a touch thinner walled than a DH tube so it's lighter. It lives on my trail bike now,totally covered in patches but still lighter than a DH tube.
After that I have a Tioga seat from about 98 but I've gone I-beam on all bikes now,there's nothing as comfy/light as the old Tioga though.
I've got a handful of mixed Titanium and alluminium bolts that come out when I get a new bike,some of them date back to 95-6.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
i have a flite saddle from the early ninties and a king headset from 91(before they even etched king on the cups)and an xtr post from the early ninties also.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
My entire 2002 Uzzi SLX is all original and still going strong except for the Evil bashguard. Hayes brakes, WTB seat, Control Tech seat post are a few years older than the frame and still good. oooooh... I have one of the original Sram 9.0sl rear shifters from the late 90's... still works great and better than any other sram grip shift that I've tried. I also have some original Time ATAC green pedals... they are as old as the Time ATAC pedal has been around.... probably 10 years or so. I got them in 6th grade.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Still running a King I bought in '96. And a set of the original Hope BigUns are still going strong one one of my bikeys...

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i still use a set of hayes mags from 2001 off a stinky. the front is on my dh bike and the rear is on my street rig. also i have a set of profiles ss cranks from 2002 on my street rig

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
2001 Hayes Mags. The calipers are still original, but I am not sure if anything else is. Since then they have been stripped, polished, lapped, and most recently ported (the mismatched fluid transfer ports near the center o-ring seal) but they're still the same pieces.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
2001 Hayes Mags. The calipers are still original, but I am not sure if anything else is. Since then they have been stripped, polished, lapped, and most recently ported (the mismatched fluid transfer ports near the center o-ring seal) but they're still the same pieces.
I had a set of 1999 (maybe 2000) Hayes brakes that I bought from Go-ride when they were first starting out. I think I raced 3 years on them and then handed them down to someone else who has been using them ever since. I can't honestly remember the last time they were bled (if ever). I'm sure the fluid turned black a long time ago but as far as I know they still work perfectly.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I'm still riding on my 1999 (bolt-on) Z1, works fine, although it's gotten new seals and been reworked a couple times.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
I had to dig out a '95(?) 8spd STX-RC rear mech as i am slowly running out of shimano 8spd parts for my dirt jump/hack bike. with 97 xtr shifters it's still suprisingly smooth and crisp.
i also run a mavic 217 sup (not much sup left) rim on the front of that bike, circa '95 aswell maybe?

my touring bike has a full '90-'92 xt/600 group still running strong, cantis, friction thumbies and threaded headset, that said it doen't exactly see much 'hard' riding.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
my oldest part would have been my brooklyn tmx, 2000. but i just sold it to another brooklynite

i just love to upgrade things. i'm a parts whore. i've excepted this

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My bullit, jr. T, and super T (going on eventually) are from '04. I'm going to replace my hayes 9's with my Hayes Mag Champagnes (with new lines, levers, and pads). Maybe those are like '02?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
My front brake is a hope c2 from years and years ago. My rear is C2 also but I got it brand new about three months ago from BrianHCM

Best Brake ever...

from Hope

The C2 brake is a development of our original hydraulic disc brake featuring a closed 2-piston caliper and the popular pro lever. We produce calipers to fit almost all disc mounts on frames and forks. The outer half of the caliper can be changed to accommodate the different fixing points.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
My front brake is a hope c2 from years and years ago. My rear is C2 also but I got it brand new about three months ago from BrianHCM

Best Brake ever...

from Hope
funny you should post that. i have 2 sets of these, and can think of 4 other people that have a set of these. hidden away, or lost in their garages