Quantcast

Old School Boyz!!!!! This is how it was done!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I still consider that old school...most anything before 2001 for DH is still pretty old school, and less PJ racer boi crap. Besides, the video is retarded awesome.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I still consider that old school...most anything before 2001 for DH is still pretty old school, and less PJ racer boi crap. Besides, the video is retarded awesome.

No that is oldschool. the year that I started racin...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
98 was nuts. Boat loads of wonka wonka bikes with no real standards. Chain guides that acted more like a clutch. Crank arms that snapped daily. Magura hyraulic rim brakes with the mandatory brake booster. Rhyno Lite's. Mike Sabin tossing Maxxis tires to just about any and everybody. Purple ano. Tucking for speed. Handlebars that sheered off mid run. Oury grips w/ grip wire.

Re-badged Intense M-1s for all pros.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

"Notice the black socks, and the wild goggles."

"he doesn't even wear gloves"

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
98 was nuts. Boat loads of wonka wonka bikes with no real standards. Chain guides that acted more like a clutch. Crank arms that snapped daily. Magura hyraulic rim brakes with the mandatory brake booster. Rhyno Lite's. Mike Sabin tossing Maxxis tires to just about any and everybody. Purple ano. Tucking for speed. Handlebars that sheered off mid run. Oury grips w/ grip wire.

Re-badged Intense M-1s for all pros.
And that's why it was so much fun.
Don't forget the radabonzical DH track at Mt. Snow that year. Wide tape, straight lines and long woods sections. Goddamn I was out of my element.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
my last Malvern Classic was 1995 when some dude got stabbed (and tragically died!!!) in the camping area on Saturday night, and the events were cancelled the next day...everyone started to leave on Sunday morning

there was a massive queue for cars to get out of the site, so we threw down an impromptu lake jumping event, which I sessioned on my BMX which was stashed in the back of the Bombproof Bikes team van

Steve Peat and other UK riders like Darren Tapp and Will Longden were in attendance and came and congratulated our crazy session which was keeping the riders entertained, as we gave the dude who passed away a fitting tribute!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
And that's why it was so much fun.
Don't forget the radabonzical DH track at Mt. Snow that year. Wide tape, straight lines and long woods sections. Goddamn I was out of my element.
Still no greater course for DH has there been. The only thing that ever snuck by the forest service. My chain snapped near the top and if I hadn't been rebooted by the crash, could have still finished with a respectable time. Passed FOUR riders in front of me AFTER picking myself back up.

Asked Lars Tribus once if he remembered and he said the same thing. Loam that was ankle deep!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The national finals in 1998 @ mount snow were off the hook fun! I have pics looking up the dual slalom course for the finals, thousands of fans, huge Chevy truck displays, back packs full of beer, cowbells and the naked crit once night fell. Those were the good years, it all fell apart around 2000-2001.

Oct 27, 2008
But where's the handlebars:shocked:?! Almost look like the breaks are mounted to the stem, geez how could they ride those narrow things.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But where are the handlebars:shocked:?! Almost look like the brakes are mounted to the stem, geez how could they ride those narrow things?
Easy. That's what we had available then. 28" bars were as wide as we could get in '00.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Peat At Last!
It’s rare that a race course upstages the racers in downhill mountain biking, but this was the case here at Snoqualmie Pass on a picture-perfect Sunday when the outrageous Briton, Steve Peat (GT) and cool-headed Anne-Caroline Chausson (FRA, Sunn-Un) triumphed in a battle against an unruly series of bumps and turns in the Pacific Northwest.
Snoqualmie Pass may not be on the longest or steepest mountainside in the world, but it hosted one of the most thrilling downhill spectacles thus far this season and raised the bar for this growing sport’s talented riders.

After cold rains in the days before the event, a drier Sunday left a fast line carved by bicycle tyres on the dark soil. Riders took their campaign for world cup points to two runs in front of 4,000 spectators.

MEN:

This was the result that Steve Peat had been promising the world for more than two years. The big Yorkshireman had run fast practice times all weekend and the ultra technical track was to his liking. He took the rocky section at the top in his stride and then calmly attacked the Black Forest, which contains the daunting "Junior Wall". This rapid-fire series of obstacles produced a flurry of finesse moves from Peat on the frighteningly steep, loose single track. He quietly leapt over the six-foot sheer, rocky drop of the Junior Wall, and with several hundred spectators lining the course cheering him loudly he hurtled onwards to the precipitous chute section, with only the faintest disturbance of the soil beneath his tyres.
So steep and treacherous was the chute that fans actually came out to watch Saturday’s practice. What few pros that could actually ride fast through here had their speed measured by the volume of the cheers, and Peat received some of the loudest. After flitting cleanly through the trees and power-pedalling the flat sections below, Peat went on to capture his best finish yet. After placing second on two of the toughest courses of all: Panticosa '96 and Mont-Ste-Anne last season, this fearless rider finally got what he had been waiting for.

"It’s rad," he said after his victory - his time of 3:55 had stood solid while Nicolas Vouilloz (FRA, Sunn-Un), Cédric Gracia (FRA, Sunn-Un) and top-qualifier Shaums March (USA, Zzyzx/Ellsworth) completed their runs. With the win in the bag, Peat breathed a big sigh of relief and said: "It’s been a long time coming but today I nailed it and I’m stoked to win... I like this course a lot and have been good in training all week. I knew I could do it today so I went for it, and it happened."

While most of the top qualifiers could have been named straight off the top of the UCI Rankings list, one Shaums March (ranked 59th in the world) surprised everybody by gaining the fastest qualification time with a ride that literally wowed the crowd in the trees. Peat himself would have been impressed by the way March hared down the Junior Wall. Unfortunately, come the final run, two crashes destroyed his rear wheel and March was forced to, er, walk stridently to the finish

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
plz make bigger, k thx bye

some classy old bikes there, looks like nico or cedric on his sunn, a sintesi bazooka with a monster T fork (LOVE IT) and maybe an M1?
#2 plate and position on the bike says that it's probably Nico.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Snoqualmie Pass. I remember in one of the FOx vids, Bragging Rights if I remember right, that everybody had major trouble clearing a really steep lefthander in a v shape gully. Then Nico comes by and greases the thing like he was on a bike path. Incredible handling that's for sure!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
"But where's the handlebars?! Almost look like the breaks are mounted to the stem, geez how could they ride those narrow things."

Dude!!! Those were proper handlebars back in the days!! Ahh, how mtb changed in such a short period of time!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think i still have a pair of old azonic world force 27" bars somewhere.

I DEFINITELY still have an old MRP world cup guide that could take up to a 48T chainring.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i am having trouble giving away my old spares. Thankfully I found someone who is building up or restoration bikes.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was in the video in the original post.

Not sure I care to be considered 'Old School' just yet...

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
plz make bigger, k thx bye

some classy old bikes there, looks like nico or cedric on his sunn, a sintesi bazooka with a monster T fork (LOVE IT) and maybe an M1?
1998 World Cup Downhill Race at Snoqualmie | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4286627543_857b729ff6_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4286627543@@AMEPARAM@@857b729ff6
this site has those pics, the only ones I could find on the net. of course this was the days before digital cameras were super common so mine are probably in a shoebox in my parents' attic.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thanks dude, I love it. Great photos, some of them really show how steep that section is...DH should be challenging like that again!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Chris Hatounian was the main shooter for Mountain Biking for a bagillion years. 157 covers!
url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hatounian_images/sets/72157603159715238/"]Mtb action - a set on Flickr[/url]
Super classic stuff- both old and new. He even has some sweet pictures of Duff from GNR!