Quantcast

Off-the-shelf Mullet/mixed Wheelsize Enduro bikes

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What manufacturers are doing off the shelf mullet enduro bikes now? SC and YT both offer that in their e-bike range but not in regular bikes just yet. I think GT is bringing out a mixed wheel Force for 2021 but I'm sure its just a regular Force specced as a mullet, and the new Kona Process X has that flipchip to make it an option. The Propain Spindrift comes in mixed wheels but its a very long travel bike. Anyone else?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've been thinking about mulleting my nomad for a while . . . but that doesn't really answer your question, does it? Was kind of surprised it wasn't an option on the new one they just released.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've been thinking about mulleting my nomad for a while . . . but that doesn't really answer your question, does it? Was kind of surprised it wasn't an option on the new one they just released.
That's the v6 duh
Or was it the v3 Hightower...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Played around with a S2 and S3 Status yesterday, although couldn't take them for a proper lap. Thats a good little bike - trying to organise a demo ride.

Not exactly off-the-shelf but Williams Racing (https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/) are doing Mullet links for the new Spesh Enduro, 2020 Meta AM/TR and 2021 Meta TR

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
and 2021 Meta AM, too.

I was trying to post this product earlier in the thread, as I'd heard of them on PB, but had no luck googling this company.

Played around with a S2 and S3 Status yesterday, although couldn't take them for a proper lap. Thats a good little bike - trying to organise a demo ride.

Not exactly off-the-shelf but Williams Racing (https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/) are doing Mullet links for the new Spesh Enduro, 2020 Meta AM/TR and 2021 Meta TR

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My short time on a mullet has me thinking they are a very viable option, especially if you are sub-6ft and ride Mediums.
I've messed around a bit on some mullet hacks (on Sentinel V1 and a GG Smash), and have come to the conclusion that they're fun as shit on turny trails, aren't as good as pure 29 on chunk, and that I wouldn't do it permanently unless the bike was designed for it. Otherwise, there's just too many compromises to geometry and suspension.

The SJ Evo looks fucking rad, and basically ticks every one of my boxes and if I hadn't bought a new GG a few months earlier, I'd be all over it. I really hope that GG makes a dedicated mullet stay kit. The "MegaSmash" hack is too much of a hack... super slack, and really high BB.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've messed around a bit on some mullet hacks (on Sentinel V1 and a GG Smash), and have come to the conclusion that they're fun as shit on turny trails, aren't as good as pure 29 on chunk, and that I wouldn't do it permanently unless the bike was designed for it. Otherwise, there's just too many compromises to geometry and suspension.
I'm not really interested in 'mulleting' an existing bike myself if its not designed for it. I'm already whinging about seat angles enough without making them slacker by running mixed wheels on a bike not designed for it. And the aftermarket linkage extenders and whatnot change the leverage ratios a bit from optimum as well.

There are a few shorter riders doing quite well on full 29er bikes so maybe I should just suck it up and give it a go - it's just an expensive experiment to trial if it restricts movement too much.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm not really interested in 'mulleting' an existing bike myself if its not designed for it. I'm already whinging about seat angles enough without making them slacker by running mixed wheels on a bike not designed for it. And the aftermarket linkage extenders and whatnot change the leverage ratios a bit from optimum as well.

There are a few shorter riders doing quite well on full 29er bikes so maybe I should just suck it up and give it a go - it's just an expensive experiment to trial if it restricts movement too much.
Agreed on all points.

I will say that I'm 5'8", always ride mediums and I very seldom have butt-buzz. I know a couple guys shorter who make pure 29s work also. And they are the hot trendy thing right now, so a 29 frame/wheels/fork wouldn't be hard to unload for a decent price if you decide it's not for you.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Agreed on all points.

I will say that I'm 5'8", always ride mediums and I very seldom have butt-buzz. I know a couple guys shorter who make pure 29s work also. And they are the hot trendy thing right now, so a 29 frame/wheels/fork wouldn't be hard to unload for a decent price if you decide it's not for you.
Yeah, I've not been able to get a full 29er Enduro bike for a proper week or so of testing. I've got a Smuggler 29er (120R/140F) which I use for trail and pedally Enduro races and I rarely get buzz on it. The few laps I've done on borrowed 29er Enduro bikes I've had butt buzz going off drops and kicky style jumps but that could just be something I'd adapt to with time.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The few laps I've done on borrowed 29er Enduro bikes I've had butt buzz going off drops and kicky style jumps but that could just be something I'd adapt to with time.
I got buzzed a few times the first couple of weeks in the same situations, but between setup changes and getting used to the bike that's gone away.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I got buzzed a few times the first couple of weeks in the same situations, but between setup changes and getting used to the bike that's gone away.
I'm like 174cm with legs so small a corgi once laughed at me.

I think Remy Metallier is a hobbit though and he seems to handle the 29er bikes with no issues.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I definitely wouldn't let a butt buzz or two on a demo ride turn you away. I think pretty much everyone who rides fairly aggressively gets some butt buzz when moving up in wheel size. It happened when I went from 26 to 27.5 and again when I went on to 29. (And now that I think about it, it also happened when I went from 20 to 26 BITD.)

I also think it's a bigger issue the smaller you are. I'm 6'1" with fairly long legs and don't find it hard to adapt, but I can see it being tougher for someone with shorter legs.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think it is funny that people were up in arms when the first batch of M6 frames (same geometry that Kovarik rode) were slightly buzzing the seat tube with certain shocks on bottom out and now everyone seems to be OK with getting their asses buzzed. W.T.F???

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC

I think Remy Metallier is a hobbit though and he seems to handle the 29er bikes with no issues.
Shortening the shock stroke by just a couple of mm with a travel spacer can help reduce buzz for shorter riders on full 29ers too.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

I'm 171 cm so might also be subjected to corgi ridicule. Remy, who is about same height as me, did say at the end of his video that the 29 rear wheel was going to be a problem on a "gnarly downhill track."

I mulleted my hardtail but have only ridden it once.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think it is funny that people were up in arms when the first batch of M6 frames (same geometry that Kovarik rode) were slightly buzzing the seat tube with certain shocks on bottom out and now everyone seems to be OK with getting their asses buzzed. W.T.F???
Uh, you don’t see the difference between a bike that can’t go full travel as intended and a human that needs a small reminder to alter their technique a bit?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

The SJ Evo looks fucking rad, and basically ticks every one of my boxes and if I hadn't bought a new GG a few months earlier, I'd be all over it. I really hope that GG makes a dedicated mullet stay kit. The "MegaSmash" hack is too much of a hack... super slack, and really high BB.
This is my experience as well. I tried it since I'm 5'6". And mullet bikes turn easier at higher speeds. I'd probably mullet a dedicated DH bike. But I don't like peddling one in flat or climbs with any tech. Bikes with a longer reach have decreased butt buzz at least up to 160mm.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Remy, who is about same height as me, did say at the end of his video that the 29 rear wheel was going to be a problem on a "gnarly downhill track."
Remy's idea of gnarly is gonna be so far beyond what I'm ever going to consider riding.

The laps I've done with dual 29 wheels, the butt-buzz occurs either when trying absorb a jump take-off, or when there is a lowish speed drop into a corner or something. I haven't had issues in chutes or anything yet.

I'm surprised more manufacturers aren't putting out off the shelf mullet bikes given the number of EWS riders running them. Even some relatively tall riders have opted for the 27.5 rear wheel over a full 29er.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Uh, you don’t see the difference between a bike that can’t go full travel as intended and a human that needs a small reminder to alter their technique a bit?
Both are unacceptable. The bike should disappear underneath me, not make me alter my technique to not get hit in the butt.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Both are unacceptable. The bike should disappear underneath me, not make me alter my technique to not get hit in the butt.
Yeah thats what worries me. Watching videos of different riders and some seem to stay centred on the bike no matter what they're doing, but I feel like I'm always pushing the bike out in front of me when I drop into chutes or whatever. Don't wanna end up having a MaxxGrip tyre drag me into a seatstay bridge just when the trail is getting spicy.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah thats what worries me. Watching videos of different riders and some seem to stay centred on the bike no matter what they're doing, but I feel like I'm always pushing the bike out in front of me when I drop into chutes or whatever. Don't wanna end up having a MaxxGrip tyre drag me into a seatstay bridge just when the trail is getting spicy.
It is funny how many of the pros at the Worldcup DH races have tire marks on their fancy white pants. But I guess they just need to work on their technique a bit. :rolleyes:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm surprised more manufacturers aren't putting out off the shelf mullet bikes given the number of EWS riders running them. Even some relatively tall riders have opted for the 27.5 rear wheel over a full 29er.
They have to sell all their delayed COVID 29er stock first before the next greatest thing of mullet bikes can be released for 2022 and take over.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Remy's idea of gnarly is gonna be so far beyond what I'm ever going to consider riding.

The laps I've done with dual 29 wheels, the butt-buzz occurs either when trying absorb a jump take-off, or when there is a lowish speed drop into a corner or something. I haven't had issues in chutes or anything yet.

My friend who is around 171 cm (and is very fast) ended up mulleting his transition sentinel. The full 29 set up was fast but he liked that he could flick the 27.5 rear end around better. He is currently running 27.5 wheels on his slash and will put a 29 wheel on when racing starts again.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles Have you tried the Smuggler with the little rear wheel?
Nope. Might be worth doing for a giggle one day as both bikes run nearly identical spec. I did put the 29er front wheel from the Smuggler onto the Patrol for a spin, but it felt silly slack and cumbersome. I think I'd have to drop the fork travel like 20mm to make it steer ok. Kinda why I want an off-the-shelf option that isn't a frankenbike.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I think a modern 29er with say 77/78 sta, the fork dropped 10mm and a 27.5 rear wheel is going to be a vastly different proposition to a Patrol with a big front wheel slapped on. I'm currently in the same boat as you and we are literally the same height so that's what I at least hope if the jump to 29 wheels really doesn't agree with me.