Quantcast

odd Gustav grinding issue

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
So I'm having a problem with my front Gustav that shouldn't exist. The rotor is grinding up against the part of the caliper that sits to the outside of the pads. In other words, the rotor now extends too far through the pads and is grinding up against the caliper. I don't get why this is happening. I'm using the same adaptor as always, same fork, wheel, rotor. Doesn't make sense.

Any thoughts out there?

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
Is there any brake compound left on the pads?
I ran gustavs for about three years and the only time something in the lines of this happened to me was this one time when the pads were completely worn off.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The issue isn't that there's nothing left on the pads. That's not where the rotor is rubbing. Imagine the pads are your index and middle finger and the rotor sits between them. The rotor is grinding on the part of the caliper where the webbing between your fingers would be. I know it's grinding there because I took the caliper off and could see some gouges back there. Really weird.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
my guess is that the adaptor pins are bent. The ones that the caliper slide on. Check them closely. If so gently use a hammer or a credit card to purchase a new adaptor, around $80.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
my guess is that the adaptor pins are bent. The ones that the caliper slide on. Check them closely. If so gently use a hammer or a credit card to purchase a new adaptor, around $80.
That sounds like it might be the case. I'll have to take a closer look at the caliper tonight. The way the gustavs are set up though, I don't see how a bent pin could cause the grinding in that spot. The calipers are still able to float. Maybe I'll take some pics and post up later tonight.

Did you change the rotor. Gustav rotors are different sizes.

http://www.support-english.magura.com/index.php?showtopic=418
Nah, same size rotor I've always run. That's why it's so strange, I haven't changed anything about the front brake setup. Same hub, rotor, caliper, mount. The pads still have plenty of life.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
is it a floating rotor? did you pull it and put it on backwards on accident? this happened to me on a hope floating rotor once.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Took all the stuff out of the caliper and solved the puzzle. Turns out the little metal clip that keeps the brakepads together somehow got very bent on one end, and begain impeding the rotor. The rotor was then mashing it into the inside of the caliper and scratching it. Replaced the clip and it's spinning perfectly.

It's always the stupid little things, isn't it?

phill1

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
I have a new (old style, silver) calliper and lever (no hose) if you need it. Let me know.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I have a new (old style, silver) calliper and lever (no hose) if you need it. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer, man. The scratches are just superficial though, and they're not even visible because they're on the inside of the caliper.

If and when these brakes ever fail, I don't think I'll be replacing them with another set of gustavs. Way too expensive and inconvenient to repair.