Quantcast

OBtanium, Worth it?

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I currently have a Manitou 250 x 3.5 Ti spring on my CCDB, M6 frame

The spring rub on the sleeve on the shock is driving me nuts from time to time.

I know the Obtanium springs have a larger ID, so I am hoping this will solve my spring rub issue. anyone have any experience with Obtanium on M6 frames?

It is alot of cash for a spring, but if it solves my problem, I am in!

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i have never personally used one, but a buddy who also works at the shop has one on his v10 and has run into tons of fitment problems with it. i think not only does it had a bigger inner diameter but the O.D is also much larger, coupled with the pivot bearing things he was having lots of issues with fitment with his RC4. i don't completely know maybe he just doesn't know what he is doing, but some food for thought.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have never personally used one, but a buddy who also works at the shop has one on his v10 and has run into tons of fitment problems with it. i think not only does it had a bigger inner diameter but the O.D is also much larger, coupled with the pivot bearing things he was having lots of issues with fitment with his RC4. i don't completely know maybe he just doesn't know what he is doing, but some food for thought.
really? thats a new one

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
No experience with the M6 or Manitou, but I have had good luck with my Obtainium spring on both Vivid and DHX shocks. Obtainium springs are top notch and I would think with the proper adapters you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing. Good luck.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004

I know the Obtanium springs have a larger ID, so I am hoping this will solve my spring rub issue. anyone have any experience with Obtanium on M6 frames?

If you are sticking with the same rate and use the proper performance adapters( you may even want to try the bearing kit) you will not have any issues. Do to the limited amount of space on RC4's Obtainium's springs above 400lb are a tight fit. The bearing kit will allow the spring to function at its best and springs at that length do have the tendency to bow when compressed when the ends are not allowed to rotate.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been waiting nearly two damn months for them to be in stock.
i called two weeks ago and they said they were in the process of making them and to check in a week or so, but still nothing.

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street

If you're not set on Obtanium. The Cane Creek Ti spring is legit. I would contact them in regards to springs. Who knows being an owner may benefit you in $?

Last edited by a moderator:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
to the op. you should check out DSP. Have ordered two springs from them now, a 500 and a 400. both were spot on in terms of fitment and correct springrate. plus they are a really cool company to work with. and they are ALOT cheaper.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
to the op. you should check out DSP. Have ordered two springs from them now, a 500 and a 400. both were spot on in terms of fitment and correct springrate. plus they are a really cool company to work with. and they are ALOT cheaper.
you didnt by chance weigh either of them did you? they claim they are the lightest on the market, but their printed weight is 100g+ more than the Obtaniums.

i like that Obtanium also has a 475# spring too

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
just cut the sleeve off, it's been discussed before. even the CC steel springs rub and makes the squeeking noise you are hearing. If in doubt call cc and they tell you the same thing. the sleeve is only cosmetic

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Cane creek uses the Diverse (DSP) springs. Thats what I have on my CCDB, and with the plastic sleeve removed its quiet. I used the "scoring with a box cuter" technique. It worked perfectly.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I use a bearing kit on my CCDB with a 375 x 3 spring and have no sleeve on the shock - zero rubbing issues. There's a lot of clearance too so no surprise.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i thought they were RCS springs?
from my conversations with them, i am under the impression they are their own springs. no affiliation with rcs.

400lb x 3.0 is 400g (less than advertised... pretty sweet)
500lb x 2.5 is 430g (was disappointed, 40g over advertised)

as measured on a park tool tabletop digi scale
but spring rates were spot on

what are the actual weights of the obtainium springs you have been through ih8rice?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
from my conversations with them, i am under the impression they are their own springs. no affiliation with rcs.

what are the actual weights of the obtainium springs you have been through ih8rice?
nice thanks.

only one ive measured is a 400# 3" @ 320 grams. i really need a 450 or 475 for my bike and only Obtanium makes the latter

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006

After having a direct conversation with Malcom where he told me they use Diverse Ti springs on their shocks I orderred direct from Diverse. Malcom said that the DSP is what comes on the CCDB if you order one with a ti spring. I don't think any of the major shock manufacturers actaully make their own Ti springs......for sale anyway. Even the Manitous were made by RCS or renton.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
slightly off-topic, but what's hte bottom line on obtanium vs nukeproof? I can have either one shipped from the states and CRC respectively, but considering it's being imported, I would prefer the best one in terms of performances and quality (read longevity).

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Got my 250 x 3.5 Obtainium thanks to K9 industries for 2 month's,stripped the plastic coating off for Anodising(still waiting for my spring).Spring got 6g lighter:D:p.:weee:

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Dang, Not too light. I have another user who posted that same 500x2.5 DSP at 418g. Not sure where that was posted, but it is in my weight log. At least they are consistent, albeit a bit on the heavy side of estimated.

My X-Fusion branded steel springs in 2.5 stroke are 460g and 505g on digiscale for 450lb and 550lb respectively. Granted my manitou 500lbx2.5 is 605g, so you could argue that the older X-Fusion springs were light for steel. Too bad they no longer stock a 500x2.5, it would probably only be 50-60g heavier than that DSP Ti. I think they are currently using springs from the same mfg as Manitou.

Anyone come across a measured weight for a 500lbx2.5 RCS?
or
Obtanium 500lbx2.5 with adapters for 1.43ID type shock?

Last edited: