Quantcast

OBD2 scan tool software for a Audi

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so our '09 Audi A4 needs new rear disc pads and of course with the EPB (electro-mechanical parking brake) and it being an Audi, I cant just take the caliper off without using a scan tool and disengaging the parking brake through the scanner. ive heard some people have taken the servo motor off the caliper but none of the local VW/Audi shops recommend that at all.
the stealership wants $450+ to do a a fucking brake pad job and local shops was $180-240ish. i know what the pads cost and i figure i can get a OBD2 plug and software for cheaper than they all want.
What software is good that isnt too expensive?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought the expensive ross-tech scan tool for my 08 GTI after it started developed some serious barely running issues. Turned out to be little more than some plugs with nasty mineral deposits. I saved money by not going to the dealership.

Moral to the story. You own a VW product. Get the full scan tool, you will need it, it will save you money.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How come you can't just release the parking brake like normal? I've seen some cool Android based ODB2 softwares...

Do ///M's do this?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Moral to the story. You own a VW product. Get the full scan tool, you will need it, it will save you money.
im sure it is inevitable that ill need it elsewhere and since my old lady is stuck on these fucking cars, im sure i could use it for future cars.

How come you can't just release the parking brake like normal? I've seen some cool Android based ODB2 softwares...

Do ///M's do this?
because its not a cable actuated e-brake. its a electro mechanical servo actuated doohikey.
according to Rollertoaster who is a bimmer mechanic, no

this is the lunacy that they recommend

A friend of my brothers used to work for ross tech....
cool story

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
iH8sauerkraut ?

Most new cars are going to these stupid fucking things. Audi just adopted it earlier.

Can't you put the car on stands and just put it in whatever state is required to disengage the brakes?

Edit: watched the video, nevermind. Fucking stupid.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
im sure it is inevitable that ill need it elsewhere and since my old lady is stuck on these fucking cars, im sure i could use it for future cars.

because its not a cable actuated e-brake. its a electro mechanical servo actuated doohikey.
according to Rollertoaster who is a bimmer mechanic, no

this is the lunacy that they recommend

cool story
So its not getting the thing to release, just getting the motor wound back in enough for fresh pads.

Welp, that sucks. Good luck! There has to be some local dude that has already purchased the tool to do it...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
VW/Audi uses the same engine controllers across platforms. I have the Hex-USB+Can cable. This says it is the same thing

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/index.html

Didn't bother reading it, but this is what I think you want to do

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Working_on_the_Electro-Mechanical_Parking_Brake_(EPB)

You can borrow the cable if you agree to let me murder you in your sleep if it is not returned.
Just kidding, the murder would be much slower and painful than what could be tolerated during sleep.
;)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Most new cars are going to these stupid fucking things. Audi just adopted it earlier.

Can't you put the car on stands and just put it in whatever state is required to disengage the brakes?

Edit: watched the video, nevermind. Fucking stupid.
Not to that extent yet but I hear you

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not to that extent yet but I hear you
Had some kind of POS Renault as a rental car when in Iceland. Not only did it have an electronic parking brake, it had some complex means of turning it on and off. I never bothered to use it, but my anal retentive friend somehow managed to turn it on when he drove. After a minute or two of futzing around, I was unable to turn the fucking thing off, so I just drove. The car was slow for a first few miles, not sure if the computer just gave up and released the brakes or if I just burnt the fuckers up. I was happy enough either way.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My 08 Tahoe just clicked 100k somewhere east of the oh pa line on i80. I do love this truck, I should keep it a while

Glad mines the "simple" version without air ride leveling blah and wacky shit.

I laugh at the cars at work everyday, not looking forward to owning one some day

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
vag-com interface.
:rofl:
</bongshed>
Part of why I wasn't hot on the idea around an Audi. Vag-Com is horrible and expensive.

Do ///M's do this?
No. $130 Peake reader is all that I needed. Nothing special or fancy electronics-wise.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just start working on taking the entire front end of your Audi off, you know it's going to be required to get to the O2 sensor/alternator/AC compressor/timing chain/belt (rear of engine, so have to take that out too)/solenoid/filler cap, etc...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just start working on taking the entire front end of your Audi off, you know it's going to be required to get to the O2 sensor/alternator/AC compressor/timing chain/belt (rear of engine, so have to take that out too)/solenoid/filler cap, etc...
we just had a shop do the timing chain done along with the thermo (since thats apparently a nightmare to do too) because i saw how much work was involved.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And you needed to program that shit? Goddam Germans and their electronic bullshit. :D
while i agree german mfg's love their bullshit electronics, youd have to go into any mfg's software to tweak what i did. if there isnt a switch to shut off DRL (which there usually isnt) theres no way of turning them on/off or keeping them illuminated while the turn signal is on.
i also turned on the gauge sweep/test every time the car turns on and tried to add the window roll down/up function with the keyfob but apparently this car doesnt have the "convenience package."

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sometimes you can "unlock" all sorts of features that they make you pay more for or are the way the car is set up in Europe, like mirrors automatically folding when you lock the car.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sometimes you can "unlock" all sorts of features that they make you pay more for or are the way the car is set up in Europe, like mirrors automatically folding when you lock the car.
I need to sort that out for the M.