Quantcast

Northstar Mini-Review and Semi-Poll

kidwoo said:
And yeah I do think we should kick down that 3 pack of little bridge drops. What the hell were they thinking? :p
Ahmen brother! That stupid tall one claimed my left arm and right wrist! Should be such a simple little thing, but right on top of a rock pile? with a crap run in? and not long enough to pedal up to speed to clear said rock pile? :mumble: I'm way over that "stuff."

As has already been stated, something with a little more flow would be so sweet. Guys, are you listening?!?

My biggest complaint is EVERYTHING is drop to flat. How about a little work on providing some transitions? Other than that, I'm stoked that we have such a cool place to go, but yeah, as with most things in life, there's always room for improvment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
punkassean said:
I haven't "wasted" my time going up to N* since 1995 (last time I went to ride bikes there).

AHAHAHA! I just spit out my sandwitch....

I went to northstar in 1996.

Northstar today is absolutely NOTHING like back then.

End of story.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That's not the end of the story.

There is no doubt they are doing more, and it's definitely better than it was. But they're wasting their time if they keep building stuff that kinda, sorta looks right but just is not. And from what I'm hearing, many people have the same opinion: Yes it's fun and better than most places, but they could spend the same time and effort and make it better. "Build it right or don't bother" is not exactly constructive criticism but that's how I feel about some of that stuff - like those three drops...what were they thinking?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
To be honest I used to have really good time going up there...I probably went 4-5 times throughout high school...It was rad to blaze down fire roads and catch a little air. Even then they had some pretty rocky trails up higher on the mountain, well pretty rocky for a 19lb. Klein! Anyway, I have been keeping up to date on N* via pics on the web etc. and I can tell that it's not worth it for me when we have such good trails locally, but seeing as I make it a point to go to Whistler each year and it's a lot farther away, I can see myself going to N* more once they get "up to speed" with the times.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
punkassean said:
I can tell that it's not worth it for me when we have such good trails locally, but seeing as I make it a point to go to Whistler each year and it's a lot farther away, I can see myself going to N* more once they get "up to speed" with the times.
You're judging the "up to speed" factor from pictures and whatever you can see from santa cruz on a clear day?

Jeezus man, just come up for a weekend. The fireroads have gotten really fun.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
punkassean said:
Anyway, I have been keeping up to date on N* via pics on the web etc. and I can tell that it's not worth it for me w
Well, if you've seen pictures then you definitely know what riding at N* is like now. :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you haven't been there in almost ten years, and you like whistler but can only get up there once a year, you should check out Northstar again. Great way to get a lift-assisted gravity fix if you can only escape for a weekend or even just one day.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
To be honest I used to have really good time going up there...I probably went 4-5 times throughout high school...It was rad to blaze down fire roads and catch a little air. Even then they had some pretty rocky trails up higher on the mountain, well pretty rocky for a 19lb. Klein! Anyway, I have been keeping up to date on N* via pics on the web etc. and I can tell that it's not worth it for me when we have such good trails locally, but seeing as I make it a point to go to Whistler each year and it's a lot farther away, I can see myself going to N* more once they get "up to speed" with the times.
You need to try a day there now before you can pass judgement.

dh4life

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Palo Alto
I love northstar, i learned how to ride there, and i ride there as much as i can. I am glad to see that they are at least making an effort to build more stuff but I would like to see more fun stuff there. The ladders at the bottom are a start but they have had the same dh trails for a while.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Joe Pozer said:
Well, if you've seen pictures then you definitely know what riding at N* is like now. :rolleyes:
I think I can make a relatively safe assessment of a trail by looking at a picture of it and given the plethora of N* pics out there and having ridden plenty of rocky trails in my day...I can say safely that I have a pretty good idea of what it is about.

What it comes down to is this...

•I live in SC now and the trails here are super fun flowy BC style w/man made stunts etc. There are lots of available shuttles if I don't want to pedal for a change.

•I lived in SB for 3 years prior to living here so I have seen my share of super rocky gnarly exposed trails somewhat similar to most of N* from what I gather.

•For what it would cost me to drive to N* and pay for lifts/lodging etc. I could easily arrange a full weekend of shuttles locally and have a freakin' blast and save a few hundy to boot. Or I could be 1/3 of the way to a week long trip to Whistler.

There are a lot more trails for me to learn here and I also enjoy perfecting the ones I already know. Whistler is so much damn fun that it is worth whatever it takes to get there PERIOD! until N* steps up and starts building quality stunts and flowy trails I will most likely not go out of my way to get there. That's all there is to it. I think N* is great and it's rad that we have a pretty cool mountain that close here in NorCal, but if you have spent a good amount of time riding SC then you might agree that it's not really worth it................yet! I can almost guarantee that N* will go the way of Whistler because that is where the $$$ is. :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well the cool thing about you not going is one less person to wait for in the lift line, it really is a fun place, totally different than SB trails and I've been riding them since 93. Tunnel would be the closest to compare to N*, but totally different soil.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
left out one important factoid

I lived in south shore and have spent much time in north shore so I am familiar w/ Tahoe soil...superfine powder.

I am not knocking N*, it's just that logistically it doesn't make sense for me. Of course I am curios to check it out and the summer DH series is rad (are they still doing that?) so who knows...just not going out of my way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dude! he's seen the rad pics of the village run, he knows what it's ALL about!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
no dooooooooood I have seen hundreds of race photos and videos from friends and websites...

I repeat: not knocking it, just not for me logistically!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:
no dooooooooood I have seen hundreds of race photos and videos from friends and websites...

I repeat: not knocking it, just not for me logistically!!!!
Dude, you're only 3:45 from there, make a weekend out of it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so you are changing your mind? because that is definitely not the attitude you were sharing at first...????

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
show me the attitude??? I may not have elaborated enough for sooooome people, but I never said I had anything against N*???

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Dude, you're only 3:45 from there, make a weekend out of it.
I am about that far, correct but my truck ain't the best commuter car if ya know what I mean...i.e. 10mpg with bikes on top and gear/peeps in back = lots'a gas $$$

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I will most likely go up there once this summer...there is everybody happy?

It's getting to be like on of those wendy's commercials,

[BULLHORN]Brian/OGRipper: N* has great new BC stunts and unique fun trails, fun to be had for all!!![/BULLHORN]

Sean: "are you with N*?"

Brian/OGRipper: "well...not exaaaactly"

Sean: :think: hrmmm...

:p

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Northstar will get there it just took them a little while to find another sucker to build their trails and maintain them after they fired me the year before last. As for Kyle the new guy... when I asked if he rides they told me " he gets out and DOES IT". Took him and two other guys two days to put like 20 planks in an already built latter section. At the same time the trails have not been maintianed since way before closing last year. SOOOO mush effort is going into that stupid latter park, and little or no effort on the exsisting trails. I have been taking it upon my self to get on the mountain early to do a little maintenance on my own. Hey Woo just to clear things up it is a bunch of N* fags, not Booth Creek that is the problem. If N* had their way we would have no bike park at all. Booth Creek is who are making things happen. N* management is like congress... they want to work as little as possible, give them selves raises whenever they feel the need at the expense of the little people, and range in ages between 70-125 years old and don't want "our type" around. In my last N*/Booth Creek meeting they said they wanted more commitment from the riders and I told them "Rob Roskopp owner of Santa Cruz Bikes just bought a $850,000 house... how much more commitment do you want"? If you want to be heard e-mail Genevive Gunnarson at Booth Creek.

ggunnarson@boothcreek.com

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry Sean but you can't pass judgment on Northstar unless you've been there recently. Any more than you can tell how a bike is gonna ride from looking at pics and reading reviews. Yeah, you might have some idea, but for just one example, even if you have seen pics, you can't understand how weird Three Amigos is until you go ride it.

As for that little bullhorn screenplay there, whatever, I don't work for them and if anything I've been critical. My point from the start has been that Northstar is great, and it's good to see them putting in some effort, but I think (and many seem to agree) they could use some more rider input because what they're doing is good but could be better with pretty much the same time and effort.

But I agree with Brian: Stay away, more room for the rest of us.

BTW, obviously it'll be hard for them to make changes unless they know what we want. On the day I first posted this thread I sent an email to the manager asking how I can provide some input and suggestions. I haven't received any response but will keep you all posted. And I just sent an email to Genevive per DH tahoe's suggestion.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
OGRipper said:
Sorry Sean but you can't pass judgment on Northstar unless you've been there recently. Any more than you can tell how a bike is gonna ride from looking at pics and reading reviews. Yeah, you might have some idea, but for just one example, even if you have seen pics, you can't understand how weird Three Amigos is until you go ride it.
Damn homie, I musta' really upset you in some way? While it may not be the wisest to "pass judgement", I can do so if I choose. And like you said although I haven't been there in recent years, like a detailed bike review, I can formulate an educated guess.

OGRipper said:
As for that little bullhorn screenplay there, whatever, I don't work for them and if anything I've been critical. My point from the start has been that Northstar is great, and it's good to see them putting in some effort, but I think (and many seem to agree) they could use some more rider input because what they're doing is good but could be better with pretty much the same time and effort.
The "bullhorn screenplay" was supposed to be funny, not insulting...I truly apologize if that hurt you feelings (seriously). Your point from the start has been my point from the start, You may have scanned or overlooked my first post in this thread , which is understandable given the volume of posts, so I re-pasted it here to refresh memories...

punkassean said:
I haven't "wasted" my time going up to N* since 1995 (last time I went to ride bikes there). And after having been up to Whistler I don't see myself heading to N* anytime soon. I would think that given the success of Whistler, N*'s corporate, $$$ hungry execs would be into making it the "premier" bike resort in the western US or CA at least! Although N* is different geographically than the PNW, it is that very same difference that offers them distinction. N* has world cup style rock gardens a plenty. And any type of dirt is game for wooden stunts. So N* could do as you suggest and build Whistler quality stunts while at the same time capitalize on it's inherently rocky terrain as a great attraction to racers who are sometimes turned off by Whistlers "playground" like trails that are perceived (by racers) as fun but not actually as challenging as a gnarly DH rock garden (Look how many people appreciated Carlin ripping Tunnel trails' super gnar rocks over him dropping Moreno gap in his UFC video). Anyway I would be very happy if N* invested serious time and effort into updating their resort to what modern DH/freeriders are looking for. It would be a lot easier to drive 4hrs than almost 24hrs! I can say for a fact that I would be spending about $750-$1000 min. annually at N* if they would step it up. Now imagine if everybody in my situation did the same? Even $$$ minded execs can't argue with that!!! I think it is much like the introduction of snowboarders to Ski resorts in the early 90's, it took them a while to figure it out but they eventually realized where the $$$ was.
With the exceptiion of the first sentence, in which I put the word wasted in qoutations to indicate it as one way of looking at it.

OGRipper said:
But I agree with Brian: Stay away, more room for the rest of us.
more harsh words, ouch!

OGRipper said:
BTW, obviously it'll be hard for them to make changes unless they know what we want. On the day I first posted this thread I sent an email to the manager asking how I can provide some input and suggestions. I haven't received any response but will keep you all posted. And I just sent an email to Genevive per DH tahoe's suggestion.
I totally agree that contacting management is the best way to express our opinions, hence I seconded your original notion by posting this quote on the first page of this same thread...

punkassean said:
---I agree that we should inundate the head honchos at N* with emails indicating our feelings---
I am not bagging N* nor am I bagging on you, in fact I applaud your initiative to change the shape of N*. I feel I have made it clear that I think the effort involved to get my physical being to N* has not been shown to be the most worthwhile...........yet!!!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nah, Sean I'm not upset, just wasn't really clear what you meant. And sure, you CAN pass judgment if you want, but it's tough to put much stock in your opinion if you haven't been there recently. And I was joking when I said you should stay away...I guess I need to get better at using smilies.

It's all good.

Anyway, I got the following response from Genevive:

"Thank you for your contacting me regarding the mountain bike park. We
appreciate that you would take the time to email us with your suggestions.
I'm probably a good start as a suggestion box - I'm a big proponent of the
mountain bike park and want it to be as good as it can be. You are more
than welcome to email me your comments and I will forward them to the
appropriate person(s) and/or you can send your comments directly to the
General Manager at gm@skinorthstar.com. Thanks, Gen"

Thanks to DHTahoe, sounds like this is the right person. So, if anyone has constructive suggestions for Northstar, send 'em on to Gen at ggunnarson@boothcreek.com. I'll be sending her some ideas soon.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
Thursday July 1st San Jose Mercury news headline
"Brian Goldstone to be at North Star, Saturday July 3rd - don't miss it!!"
You should go, I'll be siging autographs in between walking down a few rocks. So that will be all day :mumble: :thumb: :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
You should go, I'll be siging autographs in between walking down a few rocks. So that will be all day :mumble: :thumb: :D
OMG!!! gotta change my plans...all of a sudden N* sounds perfect!

Hey Brian, will you sign my....

tee hee hee!!!

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Acadian said:
Thursday July 1st San Jose Mercury news headline
"Brian Goldstone to be at North Star, Saturday July 3rd - don't miss it!!"
Do you think Brian will be at N* on Saturday? I think he should post it on RM if he's going to be there. :devil: :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
Observe and master the technique of "DH cyclorossing" with Brian G. :D

I hear you're also giving "Hope Bleeding" seminars?
I am and you should definatly be there, I'll be focusing on bleeding Hope with Goodridge lines and getting them right the first time.