Quantcast

Nicolai: weird downtube piece, what is it?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I'm thinking it is there to keep gunk from going into the exposed cables? Having it lined up on the down tube, lots of dirt gets flung up on those cables.

The Ito

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ito said:
I'm thinking it is there to keep gunk from going into the exposed cables? Having it lined up on the down tube, lots of dirt gets flung up on those cables.

The Ito
Ah, the perfect solution to problematic full-length housings...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
The Kadvang said:
BBBBBBBBBBRembo? I know the other ones seen are two piston but you never knooooooo
Hmmmmm.... I think the others are mono calipers though. I wonder if they'd have mono and two-piece calipers.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
i will change my speculation. I have a Hi-Res pic of the whole bike and the bikes in the background (the same picture a few up, just better) and all of the other bikes in back have Gremica and Magura brakes on them, so im guessing theyre something new from one of those two

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's one of these, dammit I'm sure of it:

1. The most over-engineered fender mount on the planet.

2. An adapter mechanism that lets you use the g-boxx/hub with any shifter.

3. A multi-function shifter that lets you shift by squeezing your legs together as well as the regular way.

4. A Swiss-Army multi-tool attachment.

5. A special mount for the Nicolai/G-Boxx tech manual (Volumes I thru XXV).

6. A James Bond-style armament for those dicey race situations where you need a quick oil slick, smoke screen, or grenade launcher.

7. A goofy useless piece of nothing intended to draw forum discussions away from the really interesting things on the bike.

8. A neat handle for those hike-a-bike situations.

9. A camera mount.

10. The torture device they plan to use on BMXMan if he tells us what's really up.

Am I close? :help:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Westy said:
Silly Rhino, this would be the first internally geared version, and would be the first running Bill Gates Gnarsoft 1.3 software.
:)

Did you look at the "popular mechanics" link? It has a shimano drive train with a servo actuated derailer. :eek:

Rest of the are not so electronic.....

Da Horn

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
OGRipper said:
10. The torture device they plan to use on BMXMan if he tells us what's really up.
They wont hurt him, just make him ride ;)

I'll tell y'all what it is, its the special Rholff cable stop system just enclosed to keep mud and grime off of the cables. below is a picture of the open system for all you you who are logically challanged

Attachments

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
ViolentVolante said:
I'll tell y'all what it is, its the special Rholff cable stop system just enclosed to keep mud and grime off of the cables. below is a picture of the open system for all you you who are logically challanged
If so - it's an overly designed one at that.

If you really need to keep the cables clean, why not just run a full housing all the way down?

So has anyone found an image of the shifter yet?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Slugman said:
If so - it's an overly designed one at that.

If you really need to keep the cables clean, why not just run a full housing all the way down?

So has anyone found an image of the shifter yet?

because the big black cables have to move back and forth, as illustrated in the pic, thats why you cant just go full lenght normal housing.

the shifter is still a gripshift rohloff one

Attachments

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
ViolentVolante said:
because the big black cables have to move back and forth, as illustrated in the pic, thats why you cant just go full lenght normal housing.

That's not right, there is housing below the box we have all been speculating on. There are two methods of cabling Rohloffs, one of which uses full housing and doesn't use the open sections of cables that are shown in your picture.

Actually, you might be right but if that's the case it seems like a much easier/lighter/cleaner solution would just be to use full housing.

Here is how I have my cables run.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61864

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
ito said:

The Ito
ViolentVolante said:
They wont hurt him, just make him ride ;)

Damn, I'm good. :D.

Figures that if Nicolai is going to make a solution that they go all out and make it pretty looking and all confusing like.

The Ito

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
crashing_sux said:
There are two methods of cabling Rohloffs, one of which uses full housing and doesn't use the open sections of cables that are shown in your picture.
Thanks - that is what I thought (looked at them years ago...)

ViolentVolante said:
I know this is the case for the NiColai/Roloff bikes in genereal, but I still have not seen a picture of the shifter on the bike with the goofy downtube add on...

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
I'm guessing its a cable spliter so that you only have to have one cable come from your shifter unlike rolhoffs with two. Nicolai makes cool stuff but they forgot the first law of enginering, make things as functional and SIMPLE as possible.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
NateH said:
I'm guessing its a cable spliter so that you only have to have one cable come from your shifter unlike rolhoffs with two. Nicolai makes cool stuff but they forgot the first law of enginering, make things as functional and SIMPLE as possible.
Double check the first image - 2 cables in, 2 cables out. But I'm sure you just spawned an idea...

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Hmm. Looks like it is some sort of "front derailleur" with multiple gears inside like a manual tranny. If you look closely at the rear end, it only has a single speed cassette installed. Interesting high-tech rig with all those gadgets and stuff hanging out of the tube. ;)

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
ViolentVolante said:
I don't think you're right on this. If you look at where the two cables enter the g-boxx you'll see a Nicolai manufactered version of the Rohloff external shifter box. You simply screw the cable stops in or out to ajust cable tension. With this set up, there is no reason not to run full cable housing.
http://www.rohloffusa.com/pdf/external_shifter_box.pdf

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ssk said:
I don't think you're right on this. If you look at where the two cables enter the g-boxx you'll see a Nicolai manufactered version of the Rohloff external shifter box. You simply screw the cable stops in or out to ajust cable tension. With this set up, there is no reason not to run full cable housing.
http://www.rohloffusa.com/pdf/external_shifter_box.pdf
well ill find out tomorrow, im calling Karl about some other crap and ill ask about this stupid black thing

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
it's probably for some type of thumb shifter...

ooooo.... aaaaaaaahhhhhhh..

um - not :D

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I think that since the hardcore street scene overwhelmed Germany,
it could be a 'bashguard' for the downtube.....you know to do downtube-grinds and other New Skool tricks...
Karl is way ahead of competition with this one.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
ViolentVolante said:
I know what it is! According to the guys at Nicolai it is nothing more than an extremely fancy cable routing system :eek:
If it's a German design... I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ViolentVolante said:
I know what it is! According to the guys at Nicolai it is nothing more than an extremely fancy cable routing system :eek:
It must only be a proto, seeing as Herr Nicolai hasn't gone at it with the drill press yet...

Nicolai makes some interesting stuff but they are, without a doubt, the ugliest bikes on the planet.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jeremy R said:
I wonder what brand of chain lube works the best on rotors. :eviltongu
Nothing but Tri-Flow for that lovley squeaky sound and decreased power and modulation!

Nice cable routing. I want one for my hardtail now.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ViolentVolante said:

Haha...it's "little" more than that!....D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
it's the gear box itself. you now crank the grip shift by hand and that pulls the cables, the little box on the down tube converts your hand motion to turning motion like a speedometer cable, then the cables go into the gear box where the gears are, the pedals will now be for shifting. Those wacky germans finally figured out that your wrist muscle is much stronger and less prone to repetitive motion injury than legs so they decided to make the bicycle more ergonomic.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
So now your hand will clip to your shifter with clipless gloves? Can I get replacable pins? Will a platform gripshift be available for freeriding?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I met that dude with the frizzy hair on their website in the Specialized jersey at last years red bull, he was super cool. He didn't get to ride the comp but he was there days ahead scoping lines and stuff...He said he was a pretty accomplished freerider in europe...does anyone know his name?