Quantcast

Nicolai: weird downtube piece, what is it?

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
its a flux capacitor, which allows the bike to warp to that trail in the past or future, once you reach the speed of 76 miles per hour.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
nicolai has some really gimmicky things on their bikes, sometimes i wonder if it's even worth having all the bling and gadgets :rolleyes:

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
if it's just there to hold the cables, 8 bolts, 2 large machined pieces and a custom downtube seems like overkill to the max when 2 zipties would do the trick.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
defn appears to be something to do w/ the shifting system.

please don't tell me it's merely to hold the cables! :dead:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'll bet it's got some cams in there that the cables wrap around to adjust the amount of cable pull. Probablly the g-box needs more cable pull to shift to a high gear or less to shift to a mid range gear or something like that. It looks like a nightmare to change cables though.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If it was to protect the down tube, I would think it would be lower than that. Look at the amount of exposed cable below it. It must serve a purpose.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet it contains a small computer and servo motor that looks at your speed, cadence, heart rate and power output and automatically shifts gears for optimum speed.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Westy said:
I bet it contains a small computer and servo motor that looks at your speed, cadence, heart rate and power output and automatically shifts gears for optimum speed.
I heard it contained little gnomes that did the same thing for cheaper.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Superdeft said:
nicolai has some really gimmicky things on their bikes, sometimes i wonder if it's even worth having all the bling and gadgets :rolleyes:
:stupid:
it's really cool that nicolai is pushing the g-boxx harder than anyone else. having already ruined 2 derailleurs this summer, i appriciate their efforts to bring us to a derailleur-less future. but i wish their bikes didn't look so industrial. that bike would look so much smoother if it didn't have those holes on the head tube gussett, and just about every other dh/fr bike of theirs could use some visual improvment imo. and don't give me that "it's not about looks" bullsh!t. i'm not fast enough to be on an ugly bike, so they've gotta look good.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Kornphlake said:
oompah loompahs are more readily available and weigh less, although their life span is slightly shorter.
Yet sometimes reliability issues develop over long term use. For the disconcerning mountain biker gnomes are the only choice.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
squarewheels said:
:stupid:
it's really cool that nicolai is pushing the g-boxx harder than anyone else. having already ruined 2 derailleurs this summer, i appriciate their efforts to bring us to a derailleur-less future. but i wish their bikes didn't look so industrial. that bike would look so much smoother if it didn't have those holes on the head tube gussett, and just about every other dh/fr bike of theirs could use some visual improvment imo. and don't give me that "it's not about looks" bullsh!t. i'm not fast enough to be on an ugly bike, so they've gotta look good.
Speedholes WILL make you faster :devil: .

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Kadvang said:
I heard it contained little gnomes that did the same thing for cheaper.

I heard the same thing but they had problems with the european sourced gnomes going on strike demanding 8 weeks of vacation a year. Until Nicolai can find a source of gnomes overseas that will work 24/7/365 without complaint they will stick with the more expensive electronic version.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
When Chris King finally gets their new homunculi on the market, both oompah loompahs and gnomes will be relegated to beginner and comfort bikes.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Westy said:
Until Nicolai can find a source of gnomes overseas that will work 24/7/365 without complaint they will stick with the more expensive electronic version.
I will call him... "Mini-Pol Pot"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's a holiday in mini-cambodia...where little people dress in black...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
maybe the black pieces (cable guides?) are just milled out of plastic and are pretty light? Or maybe I have no idea really...

Oops! I forgot I am no longer programmed to speculate on the internet...

My robot answer is...

I will tell you guys what those do once I get a chance to ride one and take it apart and thoroughly analyze the inner mechanics of it all, until then I have no comment.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
punkassean said:
maybe the black pieces (cable guides?) are just milled out of plastic and are pretty light? Or maybe I have no idea really...

Oops! I forgot I am no longer programmed to speculate on the internet...

My robot answer is...

I will tell you guys what those do once I get a chance to ride one and take it apart and thoroughly analyze the inner mechanics of it all, until then I have no comment.
Hahahahahahahahahh. Don't let Dropmachine get to you, someone probably just pissed in his cherios ;).

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Kornphlake said:
I'll bet it's got some cams in there that the cables wrap around to adjust the amount of cable pull. Probablly the g-box needs more cable pull to shift to a high gear or less to shift to a mid range gear or something like that. It looks like a nightmare to change cables though.
close but no cigar;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Could it be an adapter to finally be able to run rapidfire type shifters? Changes the amount of pull and pretension the cable with a spring to move back?

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Mani_UT "Could it be an adapter to finally be able to run rapidfire type shifters? Changes the amount of pull and pretension the cable with a spring to move back? "

That would be cool, but there are two cables running into the top of the box on the downtube from the shifter, not just one like a shifter pod.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Kornphlake said:
I don't think that's it, hope not anyway. The cables are wrapped around a pulley where they enter the shift box, if you wanted to change the amount of cable pull the easiest way would just be to change the size of that pulley instead of adding additional complexity.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
ViolentVolante said:
what im wondering is what kind of brakes are on that bike
I wondered the same thing :think:

crashing_sux said:
Looks like Hopes.
Don't think so unless they're black annodized, pre-mono calipers. Looks to me like there are bolts holding the caliper halves together.