Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
-a "rotor travel bag" (whatever that is)
My friend could have used those last summer. When we went out west, he for some reason took the rotors off his bike and put them in his only bag - a carryon. The lady in the security check at the airport was confused and was trying to figure out what kind of weapon they were. :rofl:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

2 reviews, 2x wandering bite point

think i‘m good for now with my xt

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Is mineral oil rubbish? Evidence starts to pile in...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

from the comments on NSMB:

Cam McRae from NSMB said:
We talked (referncing Travis from Radavist). He had his Mavens for more time and had more opportunity to dig deeper. I have yet to re-bleed and re-massage the pistons so we’ll have to see how that pans out after more than just a few rides.

I only noticed mine after the ride in the parking lot as well so my issue was less significant than his. I did manage some long descents though and in use the brakes were fine which is also a little puzzling.

<snip of unrelated info>

One thing is certain; SRAM is taking the issue, which seems isolated to Travis and I, very seriously.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
but its red. i‘d rather the plain silver ones
Silver or red, they'd still be Sram brakes.
I guess Magura make brakes that work these days, maybe Sram can too....?

EDIT- I was just reading that they only have to be bled every two instead of one. How's that work?
Hygroscopic fluid in a sealed system can't just magically pull water through the lines. If anything mineral should be changed more often, if water gets past the seals in a mineral system it will most likely stay in that spot.
Maybe the Sram mineral oil comes from snakes?

Double Edit- I have some bits coming, already have the new hubs, got some bunt 35 rims, CX-Sprint Spokes , an XT 10-45 cassette and a Smanie saddle.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have no doubt they will eventually be great brakes, but first gen SRAM stuff, especially brakes, gives me the heebie jeebies.
I had first gen codes!

These look similar…but they actually work?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
From the article on Pbike

"Installation and bleeding follow similar procedures to the Code, with the notable exception of the fluid used. SRAM is very firm about the specific fluid used in the bleed, and insist that people only service the Mavens with Maxima Mineral Brake Fluid, to avoid any risk of damaging the seals. "

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
From the article on Pbike

"Installation and bleeding follow similar procedures to the Code, with the notable exception of the fluid used. SRAM is very firm about the specific fluid used in the bleed, and insist that people only service the Mavens with Maxima Mineral Brake Fluid, to avoid any risk of damaging the seals. "
Good thing it's cheap and readily available, and the launch kit includes a bottle.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
My trusty DHX RC4 got a black shaft, a little longer than the cashima one sitting before: a whopping 6mm longer
Screenshot_20240223_143347_Gallery.jpg

Nice that RC4s can be kept alive thanks to spare parts from Marzo bomber CR

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
from the comments on NSMB:
From the Flow review:

All three of us found it pretty straightforward using the Bleeding Edge tool and the dual syringe system. However, despite performing a thorough bleed that had each lever feeling rock-solid in the workshop, some wandering bite point crept in during the first ride, indicating that we hadn’t quite removed all of the air bubbles.

After consulting with one of SRAM’s technicians at the Cannonball festival in Thredbo, Mick’s attention was drawn to the correct torque setting for the lever hose compression nut. This needs to be tightened to 8Nm, which is often higher than what most people reach without the aid of a torque wrench. If you’re under that threshold, there’s every chance you won’t have achieved a properly airtight seal, which can cause issues with braking performance and air ingress.

Along with a secondary lever bleed, which involved cycling the pad contact adjust dial a few times, the last few pesky air bubbles were removed and the brakes were ready to rock ‘n’ roll.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No spokes yet, was hoping they'd be here so I could build 'em up this weekend.
I was hoping to be rid of anything Shimano but couldn't find anyone else doing a 45t first gear on a 12speed cass.
TRP mech, KMC chain and a Shimano cassette, haha!
PXL_20240229_072633286_1.jpg

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I just installed a pair of 4.5" Bontrager Gnarwhals and fitted 432 45NRTH concave studs on those bad boys and they fucking tear the ice. Now installing 98g Ridenow tpu tubes to save 480g per wheel. It should make quite a difference.

Just in time for the spring melt :panic: We've (totally abnormally) only had snow from mid-January to this week. I guess with all the +5-10C weather and rain planned, everything should melt pretty quick here. Happy for an early mtb season start though!