Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
2 new wheelsets getting laced upView attachment 210030
You need some of these Ohlin's colored hubs

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
541's, sx310 and flow ex..
Looked at the 471s for this set but Buddy gave me a few more hoops to throw on wall...

I do want to run the 471s, was going to order hoops on one of the builds but BTI was out...

Right now buddies company (spokeX) has a rim they have been making and it's a copy of a 541. Been running a set myself and suetos has been on them and their carbon for couple years and rock solid ..

But any rear rim is offered up to the rock gods daily...so they all die!!

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
climate change live. in the old country they even reached 30°C.
We are scorching here. Heat index in the 39 to 42 Celcius in my province. Humid too. Authorities were cancelling classes last week as public schools don't have air conditioning.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We are scorching here. Heat index in the 39 to 42 Celcius in my province. Humid too. Authorities were cancelling classes last week as public schools don't have air conditioning.
Singapore or Malaysia aren't you?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Singapore or Malaysia aren't you?
Philippines. My office is beside the sea so at least I get a nice breeze when I step outside. When classes were cancelled around midday (wth!) last week some kids made their way to the beach. We're a bit more fortunate here, can't imagine what it would be like in highly urbanized places like Manila and Cebu.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm gonna hate myself for this, order an unknown German hub instead of buying a second Hadley, very smart move.
I'll get a Hadley for the front.
EDIT- No Hadley, I'll get an Onyx hub for the front.
1712664000834.png

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Had to get this out first!!! Lol funny how crap he says comes around eventually...
(Yes we still argue once in a while, he's still Craig and I'm still bullheaded)

So fox has a new grip damper and it's larger ..hmmm I remember Craig and I going over that years ago and that's why he went larger on carts diameter...control and tuning ability with volume and flow...Not fighting small volume and expecting great results...make it larger let it flow and tune it..

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
So fox has a new grip damper and it's larger ..hmmm I remember Craig and I going over that years ago and that's why he went larger on carts diameter...control and tuning ability with volume and flow...Not fighting small volume and expecting great results...make it larger let it flow and tune it..
The dampershaft is still around 10-12mm diameter right? So the amount of oil flow through the base valve should remain the same...

I've been messing around with the amount of shims on my RS Charger2.1 damper every now and then, and just can't decide what I like better, soft stack and compliance, or thick stack and lots of damping.

Letting the HSC spring rest on the smaller diameter shims has always been the smart move though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The dampershaft is still around 10-12mm diameter right? So the amount of oil flow through the base valve should remain the same...

I've been messing around with the amount of shims on my RS Charger2.1 damper every now and then, and just can't decide what I like better, soft stack and compliance, or thick stack and lots of damping.

Letting the HSC spring rest on the smaller diameter shims has always been the smart move though.
They have a larger base valve

From what I can't see I'm guessing they have a more open piston for flow against stack...larger stack multiple shims for better control instead of a tight stack with just a few...
As far as diameter there was a pic somewhere of it against grip 2 and it's not a solid tube anymore...the top is larger diameter and screws on to lower assembly like charger....
There's a few things changed but untill I get a hold of one side by side it measure , it's just what they say...

Be curious to open one up here soon...

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
As attractive as the white rims.......
-3591520480408751332.jpg

Got a few little things this week, some RC shoes, another seat, gear cable kit, spoke ruler and two pairs of Uvex glasses because @sethimus said Boomers wear them.
Time to drink some Whisky in my Smoky Dawson Chair and listen to the Eagles #boomerthings

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
As attractive as the white rims.......
View attachment 210263
Got a few little things this week, some RC shoes, another seat, gear cable kit, spoke ruler and two pairs of Uvex glasses because @sethimus said Boomers wear them.
Time to drink some Whisky in my Smoky Dawson Chair and listen to the Eagles #boomerthings
OK boomer...so how ya like that TRP shifter?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
OK boomer...so how ya like that TRP shifter?
I like it quite a lot, but I did buy the weird shape grips as the top paddle sits close to the bar with the Magura Shitmix and because the bottom paddle is adjusted in it is a tiny bit awkward.

The Derailleur however, well that's just fucking dumb!
I wanted a medium cage because I don't need a 51t first gear in Australia, I've only made it to my 45t once.
The knuckle(?) is so big that my heel hits the rear mech in the top two gears, it also seems to have a clutch that works in both directions, not sure if that's to get around a patent or they just had a shit go. So the benefit of not having your dangley bits so low is taken away by having the derailleur sitting out maybe 20mm further than my old Deore.

I was tempted to try the shifter with a Shimano mech to see if they had the same cable pull, if they do, an XTR med cage mech and a TRP shifter would be the way to go.