Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
New (last years model) Zeb Ultimate for the Mega since it was barely more than getting a replacement CSU for my old Zeb. And new alloy UDH hanger because Nukeproof finally made one and the shitty OG plastic one bent too easily and made shifty feel like cheese.

Oh yeah and new spoke in the rear Deemax cos an old one broke all of a sudden when I was riding along peacefully minding my own business and totally not rear wheel casing the log on the lip of a lander whatsoever.
Yay, spare lowers!

Sucks you had to buy a new fork all for want of a reasonably priced part.
Not been paying close attention to the model, is this an upgrade or just new year model sideways?

So, if I'm hearing you correctly - You were peacefully riding along at a leisurely pace enjoying the fresh air when all of a sudden a fiendish double jumped out in front of you. You had no choice but to ride over the scoundrel, but alas, you did not have quite enough forward momentum and you swatted the blighter on the way back to a safe touchdown. Unfortunately, your trusty steed took some abuse in the adventure as is wont to occur.

Happens all the time.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yay, spare lowers!

Sucks you had to buy a new fork all for want of a reasonably priced part.
Not been paying close attention to the model, is this an upgrade or just new year model sideways?
Yeah got the same exact fork basically except black lowers instead of grey - so spare damper now as well. Was like $300 extra to get the new Charger 3/Buttercup model but it wasn't available in the same offset I'd been using so didn't wanna risk it being too weird. Bummer I had to buy another 27.5 fork just when I was hoping to get a mullet rig for the next couple seasons but stuff it. No big silly events coming up and I'd rather spend the cash on travelling new places and doing skids.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly - You were peacefully riding along at a leisurely pace enjoying the fresh air when all of a sudden a fiendish double jumped out in front of you. You had no choice but to ride over the scoundrel, but alas, you did not have quite enough forward momentum and you swatted the blighter on the way back to a safe touchdown. Unfortunately, your trusty steed took some abuse in the adventure as is wont to occur.

Happens all the time.
This. Totally describes what happened. Tragic circumstances that in no way involved a bunch of the riding crew cracking up laughing at my failure to execute a line I still think is totally viable for someone about 10% faster and 25% better at jumping.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why would anyone ride wtb tires? zero subtle and heavy af
I got mine for $25

Admittedly they are coming off once I can be dicked to switched over to the maxxis combo I also bought, but $25 is $25. They aren't bad tires though- if you aren't fully leaned over riding 10/10 (ie trail riding), they're pretty good. They are heavy AF though, my light casing tire is 100g heavier than an EXO from maxxis and the tough casing is 300g heavier.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
i haven‘t even started on how your frame seems to big for you, the seat position and the turned handlebar with the hoods positioned too forward so chill
yes, because we all ride the same way, with the same body and position, on the same roads/trails. this is what works for my back and hips that have issues from old injuries.

you really are just a judgy prick, huh?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
your seat position yells top tube too long, also your short stem. yet you increased the handlebar reach again by rolling it up and positioning the hoods lower on the bend. thats not ergonomic at all
again - it's comfortable for me, so that's what i'm going with. i like/want the larger frame for the longer wheelbase. this works for my back and hips, and let's me move around nicely on the bike to weight the front as i like when i have it on singletrack vs. road.

you do you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
again - it's comfortable for me, so that's what i'm going with. i like/want the larger frame for the longer wheelbase. this works for my back and hips, and let's me move around nicely on the bike to weight the front as i like when i have it on singletrack vs. road.

you do you.

A beginner rider like yourself really should listen to the internet experts

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
your seat position yells top tube too long, also your short stem. yet you increased the handlebar reach again by rolling it up and positioning the hoods lower on the bend. thats not ergonomic at all
Maybe you should check out your own way forward seat position before throwing stones Mr. Edgelord. :rofl:

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
my gravel bike in the setting it looked best, too bad schwalbe doesn‘t make those thunderburts as light es they used to. around 430g for a 650b 2.1“View attachment 206889
So I will agree with you that Thunderburt 27.5x2.1" blows all 700c gravel tires out of the water with comfort, rolling resistance and weight in mind...

...however, those old liteskins were made out of papyrus paper, and when they tear half way through your mountain-gravel-epic-adventure, you are shit out of luck (me in dolomites in 2020, i had to walk down hiking paths with the bike on my shoulders in the dark)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So I will agree with you that Thunderburt 27.5x2.1" blows all 700c gravel tires out of the water with comfort, rolling resistance and weight in mind...

...however, those old liteskins were made out of papyrus paper, and when they tear half way through your mountain-gravel-epic-adventure, you are shit out of luck (me in dolomites in 2020, i had to walk down hiking paths with the bike on my shoulders in the dark)
I would take a Conti Race King 2.0 before any Schwalbe crap.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So went and grabbed wood, cut it all down and 7' ramp coming up...View attachment 206927View attachment 206928View attachment 206929

hey when you get that thing built, I have some ideas

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hey when you get that thing built, I have some ideas

Already have a area 51 ramp for that and step downs...going to put it in a bag and take it to locations....

Should be built by tomorrow and hoping to session it on the 30th my bday..had plans to try and flip before it but if I can dial it in I'll try on my bday.

This is the area 51 I've been using
20231218_134157.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm graveling with 27.5 x 2.1 Schwalbe xc race tires. Mostly because someone gave them to me for free.

I did 15mph for an hour today on greenbelt asphalt. I figure thats good enough for me.

Resized_20231008_170417.jpeg

Shazzamalam

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
You guys are easily offended :brows:
This is my son's bikepark/DH bike. In a desire for a light, relatively cheap and durable bike, I got a pivotal bmx seatpost and saddle. The frame is well done but has a major defect: the back wheel will hit the saddle at full compression even when using a 27.5 rear wheel when the bike is delivered with a 29" wheel...
My son is 13 and a size S frame is borderline too big for him. I had to cut a little of the saddle tube to help get a proper saddle height. I also had to cut the rear of the saddle to make things fit. :panic: more cutting = less weight isn't it?
The saddle height on the picture is the max height for riding to the local bikepark. The seat tube is only 10cm long!
But it works fine and he enjoys riding a lot. I am happy too :D
Screenshot_20240129_215520_Gallery.jpg