Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

has old mechanical force stuff at super low prices, helped me to finally pull though with the project, was thinking about it for a long time. my old rival stuff is too worn, now i can try it with fresh parts

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Ordered my own Christmas present today: Reserve 30 HD wheels with 350 hubs. Mostly because I'm tired of replacing bearings in the fucking Hydras on my current WAO Unions. Those will go up for sale after holidays and become someone else's problem.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Pinner has a solution for the I9 axle woes.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dammit. the solution is

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I contacted him last week..looks good to go

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's pretty funny that another company has to come up with a fix.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's been The Bike Industry™ standard practice for a number of years now. Cascade Links fixing the leverage curves of several suspension systems, Vorsprung/Push fixing subpar shimstacks/air chambers, etc. A lot of people here has been buying brand new stuff and their community accepted bandaids at the same time.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's been The Bike Industry™ standard practice for a number of years now. Cascade Links fixing the leverage curves of several suspension systems, Vorsprung/Push fixing subpar shimstacks/air chambers, etc. A lot of people here has been buying brand new stuff and their community accepted bandaids at the same time.
Folks on Vital argued with me, claiming that you cannot feel 100 g difference in tire weight. If this is true, all these upgrades people install are just to show that they are dentist when the bike is parked in front of the pub/biergarten/gelatto/burrito joint.

Folks on Vital argued with me, claiming that you cannot feel 100 g difference in tire weight. If this is true, all these upgrades people install are just to show that they are dentist when the bike is parked in front of the pub/biergarten/gelatto/burrito joint.
85% of weight reduction efforts on mountain bikes probably affect less than half a percent of rider/gear/bike mass.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
85% of weight reduction efforts on mountain bikes probably affect less than half a percent of rider/gear/bike mass.
But if it is rotating mass it has a larger influence on ride dynamics and suspension performance.
Funny part is that Dak Norton together with the Vital folks made fun about this discussion in their podcast, but a minute later he said that he runs little to no sealant as he doesn't like the feel of it splashing around in the tire. :rofl:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
To their credit, my buddy who broke the axle contacted i9 and they sent him a new axle that was redesigned (visually different than the old one). He still bought one of those Ti Pinner ones though because that's just how he rolls.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Folks on Vital argued with me, claiming that you cannot feel 100 g difference in tire weight.
There's a pretty significant difference in feel just going from a 2.3 DHR2 to a 2.4 DHR2. Thats like 100g and 2.5mm though so clearly much more of a change than just 100g.

It actually is pretty hard to compare a 100g difference without changing something else, like casing or whatever that would possibly affect things just as much or muddy the result.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, on a 1300g tire, yea I can't really. On my 290g race rims vs my 400g ones, absolutely.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
<ahem>

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've owned three Rockshox products over 20yrs and the E-post was the only good one, it's also better than my current Magura E-Stick thing.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
There's a pretty significant difference in feel just going from a 2.3 DHR2 to a 2.4 DHR2. Thats like 100g and 2.5mm though so clearly much more of a change than just 100g.

It actually is pretty hard to compare a 100g difference without changing something else, like casing or whatever that would possibly affect things just as much or muddy the result.
True, but when pumping and jumping this has less of an influence.
BTW: you can get on paper identical Schwalbe tires that differ by that much in weight if you want to test it for yourself. :D
Maxxis, not so much.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I'd agree with them, I didn't notice any extra effort accelerating my bike after adding the full fat CushCore.
But then again, I'd guess my current XC bike is 15kg.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah I'd agree with them, I didn't notice any extra effort accelerating my bike after adding the full fat CushCore.
But then again, I'd guess my current XC bike is 15kg.
If you have plenty of WATTs in your legs than this might be less obvious, but with my spindly legs and output I feel the weight de-/increase.