Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Meh, I was in the middle of my first ride on this bike, still groggy from flu pills. Cut me some slack. I'm 47 now.
You can have all the slack you want, but I still don't understand what you did to shorten the throw. Are you saying you pulled the calipers and then squeezed the lever with the pads still installed? What then? Did you push the pads back out or what? I'm generally happy with my SLX 4-pots, but curious.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You can have all the slack you want, but I still don't understand what you did to shorten the throw. Are you saying you pulled the calipers and then squeezed the lever with the pads still installed? What then? Did you push the pads back out or what? I'm generally happy with my SLX 4-pots, but curious.
These are 2-pot calipers. I was just meditating about what led me to take them off instead of going the common sense route and take the wheels off. My reasoning was I was going to have to undo the bolts fixing the calipers to the adapters since I'd have to re-center them, and I was afraid of getting any possible air bubble pushed to the calipers if I placed the bike upside down, on the handlebar and saddle.

But in essence, as I said, I took the calipers off one at the time, asked my son to pull the brake lever a couple times with the pads and spring on, and then placed the caliper again in the adapter. Centered it a bit and bam! Inexistent free throw and solid tact.

Then repeated it on the other wheel.

That's why I thought either the previous owner simply liked the brakes with that free throw, or whoever bled the brakes used the wrong bleed block.

EDIT: Rotors are almost new and straight AF, so I found I just needed minimum clearance from the pads to avoid rubbing.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I have only ever used Shimano brakes and the described method is what I follow between bleeds, which is typically done when changing out pads and cleaning the callipers etc. When the pads start wearing I find this adjustment is needed to keep the pads close to the rotor and give me the crisp feel I am looking for. It’s quick to remove the calliper and around this time they need to be entered anyway. Removing the wheel would require a stand, and I don’t see the point in flipping the bike for this job.

I haven’t found the adjusters on the levers to work, aside from lever throw, and in fact there is a relationship between the 2 adjustments where adjusting the nite point affects the lever throw and visa versa.

I use lever throw to improve or adjust the bite point until I need to remove the calliper. More fine tuning as I find a slight change to the lever throw can have a marked affect on the bite point.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My preferred method is taking the caliper off the frame or fork, then removing the hose clips until the hose is free. Finally I remove the lever and install a proper brake.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
My preferred method is taking the caliper off the frame or fork, then removing the hose clips until the hose is free. Finally I remove the lever and install a proper brake.
Suffice to say I'm not excited to play Japanese Roulette at every corner with Shimano brakes. But I had to pay for my own birthday party, my son's, the bike and also changed jobs, all in this past two weeks.

I'm eyeballing a friend's set of Curas, but they'll have to wait till September, when my next paycheck arrives.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got a Magura dropper, be fucked if I can work out how to pair the front voodoo bit with the back voodoo bit.
Also took a spacer out of the fork.
IMG_20230728_170948.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
it was all @Flo33, he convinced me to get one too (and to mullet it), gonna see tomorrow how good it really rides. 2 days at reschenpass enduro trails :banana:

what‘s the weight of yours @boostindoubles and @canadmos?

was a bit suprised when it was hanging on the scales, 16.7kg with dh tires and full coil :shocked:
Mine weighed 38.something pounds with a small tool pack, pump and Maxxis EXO tires. Not sure what it weighs now with DD casing tires. It's a Titan with mullet wheels.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
sweeeettt.. how's the mara been treating ya? Those have been intriguing me, especially since they've been on sale.
I had the first one, it was shit, then got the Reverb E thing, it was okay but the big lump on the top meant you needed a seat with heaps of clearance. The new Magura is better than the first one but worse than the Reverb, it's still a stepper motor so the post will/can move for about a second after you release the button.

I wanted the X-Fusion but they seem pretty useless with releasing products in a timely manner or replying to emails, so fuck them, they get no more of my money.
TLDR- Vyron V3= 5/10, would not bang again.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I had the first one, it was shit, then got the Reverb E thing, it was okay but the big lump on the top meant you needed a seat with heaps of clearance. The new Magura is better than the first one but worse than the Reverb, it's still a stepper motor so the post will/can move for about a second after you release the button.

I wanted the X-Fusion but they seem pretty useless with releasing products in a timely manner or replying to emails, so fuck them, they get no more of my money.
TLDR- Vyron V3= 5/10, would not bang again.
I *think* he inquired about the shock. :twitch:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I *think* he inquired about the shock. :twitch:
Haha, and that's why I failed comprehension at school.
The Mara can't really be rated on this frame as it's not really suited to it, especially with the larger air can that it came with.
The Mara is pretty shit(with this digressive frame) , I was going to get an Ohlins but I was too poor when they were in stock.

I am also not someone who really should be evaluating a shock, the last shock I bought Was a $100 Swinger 4 way in 2010 coz my Stoy died.
Only owned DH bikes and hardtails and have no idea what a good shock feels like.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
After thinking about it for a couple months, I pulled the trigger on a '23 Super Deluxe Ultimate (air) for my Nomad. I've been happy with the coil version on the same bike, and the air version (with HBO) on my ebike, but was liking the extra pop and end support of the air on my ebike. The air version didn't really feel like it was giving up much to the coil for grip also.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when the shock showed up and even had HBO, which wasn't advertised on the retailer's website. I set the compression and rebound adjusters the same as my coil version, changed the bike's flip chip to the less progressive setting, aired it up to the suggested pressure from the TrailHead app, dropped 2 psi to get to 30% sag, and took it out shuttling. Very pleased with that impulse buy. I wasn't bottoming out on normal riding, just on hucks to flat or casing jumps, and even then I couldn't tell without looking at the o-ring. For the first half of the travel, I don't think I could tell the difference between the air or coil versions in a blind test. Plus it's a full pound lighter than the coil version.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
arlberg tunnel was closed. went to albula pass instead. fucked up the rear rim on the first run :banghead: to the point it didn’t hold any air in tubeless. no insert experiment failed big times
Oh, double bummer then. All the best for your next try.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
@djjohnr got me thinking and I swooped on a COVID overstock Pink Bike special (frame/coil shock/dropper).

I had one from the headset cup cracking era that I sold before it broke. This was when a warranty replacement was taking 6+ months. Hopefully the new ones are all good. :clue:

Sure rides nice, like coming back to an old buddy.

0807231302a_HDR.jpg

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
IMG_0349.jpeg

take that, push-up industry!! Built from the spare parts and wood bin.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I raise your pushup bar...(actually kind of cool)

@konifere uh oh did you use carbon!!! Lol

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
View attachment 198690
take that, push-up industry!! Built from the spare parts and wood bin.
fail, no balancing needed