Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
didn't the totem come in a 1.5 straight? my uzzi had a 1.5 upper and lower - when i trashed the upper a few years back the hub (bike shop in the heart of pisgah) just laughed and said no way they had a replacement in stock.
Yup. I think the only 1.5 frame I ever had was a Yeti AS-X (that bike sucked). I was working in a shop when the Sherman first hit; we sold a bunch of the Rocky Mountain Switchs that came with them.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
didn't the totem come in a 1.5 straight? my uzzi had a 1.5 upper and lower - when i trashed the upper a few years back the hub (bike shop in the heart of pisgah) just laughed and said no way they had a replacement in stock.
66 came in a 1.5 straight too.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So my best friend spent the fall and winter quitting his bike mechanic/bike sales job at the "corporate" shop around here and opening his own bike shop. Its a close-knit community around here so when he took the 3 best mechanics in MD with him, well, business followed. I now had the challenge of needing to ride something he sells. The RidEgg Smash frame was sold and replaced with this.

Bumped the fork to 170mm
Installed AXS Reverb
Longer chain, longer rear brake line
Fresh Speccy rubber

First impressions? Chainstays are longer... like alot longer than the Guerrilla Gravity. A little harder to manual or pivot through a tight berm but definitely more stable in the chunk. I really really like this bike though. Like ALOT. It pedals and climbs just as well as my Smash but devours chunk like nobody's business. I'm also really happy to be back on a virtual pivot style platform again--I didn't realize how much it suited my riding style more than a horst link until switching back.

It is weird that the best bike you've ever owned is always the newest bike you own?

View attachment 156433
May I ask what your proportions are regarding inseam and total height and which frame you're riding? I'm considering the Titan as my next totally important and essential purchase.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Agreed! I’ve been patiently waiting for a 170mm to 200mm version since that WU one came out. That Aenomoly will do if it ever comes out.

New E bike is fun af. I need a 200mm seat post on there. Who makes a inexpensive 200mm one?
View attachment 157824
Is that the new eRansom? I'm thinking of selling the 2019 eGenius for the new eRansom. Apparently Scott is only doing the green one here in the states...?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
May I ask what your proportions are regarding inseam and total height and which frame you're riding? I'm considering the Titan as my next totally important and essential purchase.
I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. Bike is Size Medium. 40mm effective stem length. Fit is perfect. I'm running it in the short chainstay length position.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Is that the new eRansom? I'm thinking of selling the 2019 eGenius for the new eRansom. Apparently Scott is only doing the green one here in the states...?
Yeah, the eRansom is much more dialed than the eGenius. I would definitely sell the eGenius. The eGenius has more upright trail geometry and the Ransom is much more capable. The steep seat angle on the Ransom makes it a much better climber than the Genius as well. The suspension is a night and day difference too. I had a Devinci AC which I just sold to buy this one.
Are they not already sold out? I wish they would bring in more of the cool products into the US....

My wife just likes to do DH laps on her ebike so we put a 40 on there. Not sure if she has enough trouser clearance for the 29 rear wheel. She normally rides 27 or mullet.
E3176D72-60CA-4C14-907F-8DFF4D02D647.jpeg

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. Bike is Size Medium. 40mm effective stem length. Fit is perfect. I'm running it in the short chainstay length position.
Thx. I'm 179.5 cm/5'10.5" with a 34.5" inseam, so long legs with a super short torso. I just rode my '16 Reign M for the first time in 3 and a half months and couldn't believe how short and cramped it is compared to my commuter. I was first thinking about getting the Titan in M but then it would have the same reach as the Reign at a steeper seat angle resulting in even more crampiness. So L in reverse mullet config it will be.

For anybody curious the published geo numbers of the Titan are with compact dropouts, switching to the long ones result in even longer chainstays of 46.0 cm.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yeah, the eRansom is much more dialed than the eGenius. I would definitely sell the eGenius. The eGenius has more upright trail geometry and the Ransom is much more capable. The steep seat angle on the Ransom makes it a much better climber than the Genius as well. The suspension is a night and day difference too. I had a Devinci AC which I just sold to buy this one.
Are they not already sold out? I wish they would bring in more of the cool products into the US....

My wife just likes to do DH laps on her ebike so we put a 40 on there. Not sure if she has enough trouser clearance for the 29 rear wheel. She normally rides 27 or mullet.
View attachment 157956
stellar view. what mtn is that?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Does the 40 come with silver crowns?
And nice view if it is from your house !
No. Those are some old proto crowns for testing offsets from a long time ago.
Thanks! That’s the view from my bike workshop. Come ride Morgins, Chatel and Champery one day and check it out. Maybe we finish it with a Bianchi Challenge?

stellar view. what mtn is that?
Yes! They are incredible. They all have individual names but those peaks together are called Les Dents du Midi.
Side note, I rode the main couloir on my snowboard once. It was a 5 and a half hour climb up and took about 2 hours to get to the valley floor.

Here you can see the main couloir better and a better perspective from the start of the old WC track. That side of the valley is protected and more backcountry stuff and the other side there are 200 something chairlifts.

F9A78DFB-C3D1-4454-B248-242460436FA7.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No. Those are some old proto crowns for testing offsets from a long time ago.
Thanks! That’s the view from my bike workshop. Come ride Morgins, Chatel and Champery one day and check it out. Maybe we finish it with a Bianchi Challenge?

Yes! They are incredible. They all have individual names but those peaks together are called Les Dents du Midi.
Side note, I rode the main couloir on my snowboard once. It was a 5 and a half hour climb up and took about 2 hours to get to the valley floor.

Here you can see the main couloir better and a better perspective from the start of the old WC track. That side of the valley is protected and more backcountry stuff and the other side there are 200 something chairlifts.

View attachment 158030
Doesn't it get old for you winning the internet all the time? ;) :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
MM3_0819 (1).jpg

SLV_0961_resized.jpg

Little update on the Mega since I've done about 120kms and a couple of races (solid mid-pack, thanks for asking) on it now. I ended up changing the cranks and bars to aluminium for peace of mind (XT cranks, Chromag bars) and I transferred the Hope V4s and BikeYoke to replace the Code RSCs and Reverb just to avoid reliability issues.

Still really happy with the bike, the fit is just a bit better for me than the Patrol was and so far it doesn't do anything worse at all. I didn't get along with the Michelin Enduros that came on it - the sidewalls seemed too thin and lacked support and adding pressure to prevent squirm lost traction compared to Maxxis or Schwalbe DD/Supergravity offerings. I feel like the Michelins would be a really good tyre for a lighter rider or someone riding loamy or gravelly trails more often. I'm running the DD Assegai/Minion DHR2 combo instead for now.

The biggest stand out so far has been the Zeb fork. So far it has exceeded my expectations by a mile. I didn't think I'd be able to feel any difference between the Zeb and Lyrik chassis (same damper and spring) but the Zeb is really a better fork IMO - nearly everyone who has ridden the bike has said the same thing. Worth a test ride for sure if anyone is looking for a new single crown. It feels so solid and reassuring you just end up jumping into rough sections just to see what will happen. If you do get one, and get the integrated fender - soften it with hot water slightly before installation and it will mount up easier. Mine was a little deformed from shipping and they're quite stiff. I'd also recommend ditching the supplied screws for a slightly longer thread as they don't seem to have much thread grab in the magnesium arch.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I would have done a small on some frames, but with my inseam, it would have required WAY too much seatpost...but I think *maybe* with the crazy long dropper posts you could get away with it?
the smalls that I demoed at Targhee felt squirrelly, though...