Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd be into buying an aluminum Mega w/ Mullet set up. Take my money now!
Their carbon is plenty tough, tougher than aluminum. Only thing you'd gain with full alloy would be the ability to buff out any scratches.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Their carbon is plenty tough, tougher than aluminum. Only thing you'd gain with full alloy would be the ability to buff out any scratches.

Ya, you know, sometimes I just yearn for more simpler times of life. Aluminum, external routing, reasonable sizing, reasonable prices. Like my first Mega....

Oh, and the ability to put it in Mach Plaid mode :D

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Ya, you know, sometimes I just yearn for more simpler times of life. Aluminum, external routing, reasonable sizing, reasonable prices. Like my first Mega....

Oh, and the ability to put it in Mach Plaid mode :D
$3,290 for frame w/ SD Ultimate shock looks pretty damn reasonable compared to others right now. (Yeti wants $4,700!!! for an SB-150 frame, Santa Cruz $3,950 for a Bronson frame.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Repairing carbon is a hell of a lot easier than repairing aluminum, no? (Depending on the catastrophe, of course)
less labor intensive maybe, but a repair to an alloy frame is more likely to work.

also gg uses a thermoplastic carbon process, while the rest of the industry uses thermoset. to the best of my knowledge none of the bike specific carbon repair places are set up to fix thermoplastic.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Conversely, the first thing I would do on any Sram equipped new bike is strip it, and put on XTR
[/ENDFANBOYBLATHER]
:stupid:

I took the XO (11-sp) off my trail bike to put it on my fatbike. The ergonomics of Shimano work better for me and I like the ability to trigger shift (with my index). I also dig the double up-shift and big sweeping 4-gear down-shifts over the click-click-click-click sequence of SRAM. I even tried positioning the SRAM shifter so I could trigger it with my index (not too hard with big gloves on).

On my trail bike I'm running an 11-sp XTR shifter, an XT derailleur body with Garbaruk cage, pulleys and cassette. I've lost the ability to do a 4 speed downshift sweep with the Garbaruk as it doesn't shift quite as well as the Shimano cassettes (or even SRAM for that matter), but it's getting a little better with time and as things bed-in.

At this point, I'm frankensteining my drivetrain almost out of spite for the two big Ss! I have a KMC chain, Garbaruk chainring, and Race Face cranks. Works for me and meets my needs. That said, I wonder if I'd change my tune if I tried a full XTR 12-speed system... From what I've read, it's smoove as hell! But what I don't know can't hurt me.... right?!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The failure modes are different. An alloy frame might crack, while a plastic one would lose an entire section on a crash. Crabon likes to explode.
Wha?

My pivot had a crack because it had a flaw, they warrantied and sent me a new frame. It was made of carbon and it didn't explode. I cracked a carbon rim too, my fault for not running enough pressure. It cracked, I rode 7 miles downhill back to the car and it held up fine. That seems to just be conjecture. If you crack an aluminum frame due to cycle stress and a flaw/damage, it may also catastrophically fail when the frame can no longer hold itself together.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Wha?

My pivot had a crack because it had a flaw, they warrantied and sent me a new frame. It was made of carbon and it didn't explode. I cracked a carbon rim too, my fault for not running enough pressure. It cracked, I rode 7 miles downhill back to the car and it held up fine. That seems to just be conjecture. If you crack an aluminum frame due to cycle stress and a flaw/damage, it may also catastrophically fail when the frame can no longer hold itself together.
Yup, I take my words back, and stand corrected. I guess I can still play the "not enough coffee" card given I had a terrible night and was barely creeping back to life when I wrote that without thinking too much about it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yup, I take my words back, and stand corrected. I guess I can still play the "not enough coffee" card given I had a terrible night and was barely creeping back to life when I wrote that without thinking too much about it.
Yeah I was just about to say, I've seen snapped frames of both alloy and carbon, and minor cracks in both. Failure modes aren't locked in to material. The only thing that is guaranteed with carbon failures is some dude is gonna see it and say "yeah thats why i don't run carbon"

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
This agrees with my experience that given the right loading conditions (cyclical fatigue perhaps) both materials fail, but the failure mode of carbon is less catastrophic.

In my experience be it handlebars, cranks, or wheels, carbon has never forced me to pick dirt from my teeth and in general allowed me to ride out the failure. Not so much for alloy failures.

No carbon for me though, longevity and cost replacement moved me back to a carbon free bike.

Proper Ridemonkey Luddite

Wha?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My only Carbon failure in 20 years of riding Carbon toys was an LB rim, which I was running with WAAAY too little pressure because I believed the Tannus hyperbole. That rim cracked in ‘21, and again this year, and still holds air just fine.
But I certainly have seen plenty of Carbon failures over the years, but honestly, just as many aluminum failures from people out-riding components and frames that were just too lightweight for how they were being used.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah I was just about to say, I've seen snapped frames of both alloy and carbon, and minor cracks in both. Failure modes aren't locked in to material. The only thing that is guaranteed with carbon failures is some dude is gonna see it and say "yeah thats why i don't run carbon"
Yeah, that's why I don't run carbon.

Resized_20220619_105536.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
20 years ago when someone broke an aluminum bike someone would inevitable pipe up with "steel is real, that is why I don't ride an alloy bike". And 20 years ago there were a lot more broken bikes.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
^this

FWIW, I cracked a carbon rim, rode out on it another 7 miles, then put a fresh tire on and did another couple shuttles the following day on it. Did not die or eat dirt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This agrees with my experience that given the right loading conditions (cyclical fatigue perhaps) both materials fail, but the failure mode of carbon is less catastrophic.

In my experience be it handlebars, cranks, or wheels, carbon has never forced me to pick dirt from my teeth and in general allowed me to ride out the failure. Not so much for alloy failures.

No carbon for me though, longevity and cost replacement moved me back to a carbon free bike.

Proper Ridemonkey Luddite
I don't think it really matters, it just matters what the structure is supporting and what implications it has when it fails. Like if it's head tube the fork collapses under you and you hit the dirt hard with your face and maybe break stuff, vs. breaking a rear dropout or stay while riding and basic stability principles mean you will probably ride out of it and be just fine.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
less labor intensive maybe, but a repair to an alloy frame is more likely to work.

also gg uses a thermoplastic carbon process, while the rest of the industry uses thermoset. to the best of my knowledge none of the bike specific carbon repair places are set up to fix thermoplastic.
Opposite on the carbons; GG uses a thermoset which does not get soft again if you heat it up. That is why they can powder coat the frames which needs to be baked at 350F or higher.

All other folks use thermoplastics which will get soft again if you heat them up.

But both can be repaired to some extent depending on damage.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Opposite on the carbons; GG uses a thermoset which does not get soft again if you heat it up. That is why they can powder coat the frames which needs to be baked at 350F or higher.

All other folks use thermoplastics which will get soft again if you heat them up.

But both can be repaired to some extent depending on damage.
i figured they would have the terminology correct on their own website, and since they have the patents on their process too.

Screenshot_20220623-065046.png

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Interesting, I just assumed it was a thermoset based off the temps you can take it to for powder coating. It must be a very high temp thermoplastic.

The rest of the industry is thermoplastic as well, so repairability is the same.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The rest of the industry is thermoplastic as well
no, most of the industry is still thermoset. that's why it was kind of a big deal when gg released a thermoplastic carbon frame. a few other companies have started doing thermoplastic, but the vast majority of the carbon out there is still thermoset.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Did a couple of rides with One Up grips. Had to take them off, they are super slippery with sweaty palms, which is unavoidable when riding in high humidity.