Quantcast

New Sam Hill seat???????

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Stik modded Leigh Donovan's saddle at Mt. Snow one year by zip tie-ing (a Hot S semi-slick I think) to her saddle. Coming down that course, you get pounds of swamp butt mud on your saddle and arse and if you try to touch the saddle, you slip off it.

Pretty sure we had some awesome comments about being on her saddle, but won't repeat out of reverance to her legend....ness.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It's awesome to see SDG trying new stuff again. I know they are a little bit more "rider-owned" now. When you see something "funky" from a rider owned company, you need to ask yourselves why. In this case it's because sometimes you need more traction in the wet on a DH bike. They used to accomplish that pretty well with their full kevlar tops- but those were heavy, heavier when wet, and were too abrasive for some peoples tastes. Zip-tied tires on saddles is a "thing" and has been for more than a decade now.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
When I raced Moto when I was younger I brought 2 seats with me to every race. 1 normal seat and one "all grip" seat. For muddy races I would swap out for the grippy seat and it was a life saver. I know a MX seat is 10x bigger and you spend much more time in it but I feel like the same theory applies.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
wonder how many "sdg is so fail" opinions there would be if it werent labeled a Sam Hill saddle
Good point- it appears to me that there are more Sam Hill haters than there were ever fanboys. Why all the hate? My guess is because DW is god around here, and SH is doing well on something he didn't design. Blasphemy!!!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Really? Does a seat with extra traction for muddy conditions really bother people?
I think it's cool. People use different tires for muddy conditions, why not seat? I know I've experienced barely being able to sit on my saddle from being so muddy.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
These 2 new seats are LEGIT. Awesome idea from Sam on the seat and its great to see people actually raising the bar. You will see Giant/HBG on these seats when they become available.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Really? Does a seat with extra traction for muddy conditions really bother people?
Surely you've had the misfortune of shooting straight off a muddy seat at least once? Can vary between "a bit of a surprise" and "really f**king painful" depending on how quickly you save yourself!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Still I've read a good point about in on some other forum - the rubber could increase the wear on the saddle and it also increases weight for weight wennies. Temporary tire mods for the rainy days seem like a better thing to do.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
looks like a good idea but maybe not for everyday use but more for the toolbox for us racers to throw on when the mud gets to much. Id imagine its not terribly comfortable and it would probably wear your riding shorts/trousers out.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
You don't watch many World Cups do you...
yeah no kidding. I guess I was under the assumption that almost everyone has enjoyed the experience of sliding all over their seat in muddy conditions and could understand how these seats could be really useful. Reading the comments on pinkbike surprised me, even for pinkbike, but RM seems no different.

zip-tying tires to the seat has been a trick used for over a decade, why is it such a big surprise?

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
yeah no kidding. I guess I was under the assumption that almost everyone has enjoyed the experience of sliding all over their seat in muddy conditions and could understand how these seats could be really useful. Reading the comments on pinkbike surprised me, even for pinkbike, but RM seems no different.

zip-tying tires to the seat has been a trick used for over a decade, why is it such a big surprise?
I'm more surprised they haven't done this sooner.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
No doubt it will still be popular once people remember Sam Hill uses it. Pink and yellow outfits looked stupid but people still buy them. In fact if his signature was on a seat that looked like a turd it would probably still sell!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool idea, I think I'd be more interested if there was more grippy stuff on the sides though. For me at least it's way worse trying to grip with your knees and having the seat squirming out than trying to sit on it and having it be super slick.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Good point- it appears to me that there are more Sam Hill haters than there were ever fanboys. Why all the hate? My guess is because DW is god around here, and SH is doing well on something he didn't design. Blasphemy!!!
wonder how many "sdg is so fail" opinions there would be if it werent labeled a Sam Hill saddle
Good points, so for the Sam Hill haters, maybe this works better for you?
I remember a sketch in Fundamentals where Steve Peat said that he had a cut up tyre strapped on to his seat during a very wet and muddy race so it would afford him extra grip.