Quantcast

New project and the last couple days.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I put this up in the DH forum but then realized it was probably more interesting for you guys. Sorry for the double post.

Here are some Iphone pics from the last couple of days. I started building some dirt jumps in a little town called Plaffein, Switzerland. I have a day and a half done and another two days of digger time to finish. I am happy with the progress and it should be a fun spot to ride. Thought you guys might like to see.

I was stoked on the big trucks of dirt (16 cubic meters) but after the second one the asphalt on the road started to get big cracks and I didn't want to destroy the road so I asked for 4 axle trucks instead.

The local kids were helping me filter the dirt all day.

Making good progress. This shot was taken after a little over a day of building.

These 3 little dudes have so much pop. I am stoked to give them bigger and better jumps.

Check the size of the landing and how stoked they are.

The digger gets the bowls pretty close then I have to filter the dirt with the wheelbarrow and lay down some fine stuff on the top.

After digging all day we had a fun BBQ mini ramp session.

Some train shuttles over the weekend.

I am going to ride some train shuttles again today before going back to digging on Monday. I will put up some more pics as the spot progresses.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
The last pic of the track loader, is that a hydro tamper attachment? If yes, that is my dream machine! If I ever hit the lottery the first thing I buy will be a mini-excavater with a hydro tamper, for now I have a 6.5 hp plate tamper I pull up the faces with a 25' long strap.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The last pic of the track loader, is that a hydro tamper attachment? If yes, that is my dream machine! If I ever hit the lottery the first thing I buy will be a mini-excavater with a hydro tamper, for now I have a 6.5 hp plate tamper I pull up the faces with a 25' long strap.
Thanks guys. I am going back this morning so I will take some more pics.

No, it's the other buckets sitting on a jump in the background and looks like they are one but it is just a bad quality pic. I usually use a quad for packing if the big digger can't get enough pressure down with his bucket. My dream tool would be the spinning/filtering bucket they use for putting fine dirt around a pipeline. That would be sweet for getting all the rocks out and having huge piles of fine stuff when working with construction site dirt.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I want some of those curved shovel handles! All I've seen in the stores here are straight handles.
Super sweet construction, maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to travel there.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nice. That's some big a$$ piles of dirt. I'm a little confused though... is it two table lines?
It was not done yet in those pics. Those are landings on the left line waiting for wood kickers and the right line is a table line with tight bowls between each table. I am going back there today to build the start ramp with a lip drop to start the left line and a normal start ramp for the right line that way the pumptrack can go under the start ramp. At the end of the big line there is a step up step down so the pumptrack/jump track can go under it and keep the small more inexperienced riders out of the way.

It is a lot of stuff crammed into a small place and without the wood structures it is hard to tell what is going on. It will be easier to see the setup when the start ramp, wooden kickers and someone riding is there for reference. I will get some more pics this week.

I had to think real hard how to keep the little guys out of the way and make it fun/challenging for everyone. I think it will work out sweet but it is not finished yet so I have some fine tuning to do.

I use a lot of dirt because it is always safer with bigger and longer landings and it is better for the long term if you have more dirt than less. We had the budget so I got all the dirt I could. We won't have this kind of budget here for a long time so I wanted to give the kids all they need for the future. In addition, because I am a professional builder I prefer to build most stuff big landings or without gaps so the injuries aren't so often and I keep a good rep. It also packs down a lot after the winters.

Sunday was the closing day of the lifts for the winter so now it is full on biking time. Here are some shots of me my brother took a week before closing. I know it is not biking but I will get some of those very soon.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I want some of those curved shovel handles! All I've seen in the stores here are straight handles.
Super sweet construction, maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to travel there.
They are nice for my back.

All the shovels are different over here so I took a little while to find the ones I like.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
"Yea, the f**in road caved in with that last tandem, please send something other than the worlds largest dump truck next time":thumb:

Your so lucky, good for you!!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
We started putting up the start ramp yesterday and fine tuning the outside line and the pumptrack. I am headed back this afternoon to put in the wood kickers and might get to try some of the bigger lines if I get a lot done. It is coming along nicely and it is already riding pretty well. Here are a couple pics from yesterday.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Great pics of the rock drop. I'm jealous that you have that DJ setup in the valley and then have the hills to get some turns with the snowboard.

Very nice job with the project. Looks like a ton of planning and work has been put into it. Those kids looked ultra amped up on the setup. Good to see some younger guys working the shovel. Seems like kids that age in our area are more concerned about tricks and not running brakes than actually working on trails.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Stupid site won't let me add more rep to you! :D
Awesome work, keep it up!
Thanks man. I am super happy with how this one is coming along and tomorrow it should all come together. We have a big session lined up for Saturday (opening day) with the Breitenstein bros and another couple of shredders. There are 120 members in the club so it should be a good time. My brother will be shooting so I will throw up some pics sometime after.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Great pics of the rock drop. I'm jealous that you have that DJ setup in the valley and then have the hills to get some turns with the snowboard.

Very nice job with the project. Looks like a ton of planning and work has been put into it. Those kids looked ultra amped up on the setup. Good to see some younger guys working the shovel. Seems like kids that age in our area are more concerned about tricks and not running brakes than actually working on trails.
Thanks, I had designed/shaped there before and when we had the chance to rebuild I had a good idea of what I wanted to do. The kids were no longer into 4X and just wanted to jump and my buddy found a lot of sponsorship from the surrounding businesses.

Yeah, those kids are amazing and so fun to hang out with. They speak Swiss German which I am not very good with at all but we manage to have a great time. I teach them all my tricks for shaping and filtering the dirt and they love the digging as much as the riding. They are digging and riding all day every day all summer long. I am stoked to give them a sh!t load of dirt and a decent setup and I can't wait to see what they do with it in the coming years.