Quantcast

New Marz quality?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Been leery of newer Marz since my '07 888 Slata, and the very not-so-great afterservice or sourcing of needed parts that came along with it...

The '08s were much of the same, sloppy as Surrey girls.

How are the new ones?

Kind of (cautiously) thinking about a 55 or 66 ata. Or maybe even a solo-air Totem...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Another vote for the CS/solving the problems. My 08 66 rc3 had pretty much every known problem. I ended up having everything but the spring and damper replaced. After that it was flawless. Also highly recommend ronnie and tom, they were a great help.

After I got it back, it was reliable as can be. Kept plugging away and I never had any worries/issues. aside from an occasional 2 minute oil change (which it probably didn't even need, but I did anyway for peace of mind) it was perfect - never gave it a thought, it just worked.

Unlike my new boxxer WC... Which I like for tuning a little more, but its like going out with a hot girl who's good in bed. Sure, she's hot, and she's good in bed, but high maint. The 66 was like some unwashed hot hippie chick. Slathered in bacon.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Another vote for the CS/solving the problems. My 08 66 rc3 had pretty much every known problem. I ended up having everything but the spring and damper replaced. After that it was flawless. Also highly recommend ronnie and tom, they were a great help.

After I got it back, it was reliable as can be. Kept plugging away and I never had any worries/issues. aside from an occasional 2 minute oil change (which it probably didn't even need, but I did anyway for peace of mind) it was perfect - never gave it a thought, it just worked.

Unlike my new boxxer WC... Which I like for tuning a little more, but its like going out with a hot girl who's good in bed. Sure, she's hot, and she's good in bed, but high maint. The 66 was like some unwashed hot hippie chick. Slathered in bacon.

mmmmmm tasty unwashed hot hippy bacon.......

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
marz did apparently fix the Par/ata chamber which even though it struggled to make it through all of last year, depending on how much you weighed and how you rode, didn't necessarily matter if the PAR wasn't working. However they did say that the problems have been fixed and the customer service over there is probably the best in the industry. I'd go marz before rock shox because one rock shox takes forever to do repairs and two those things just seem to have this bad habit of blowing up.....like a hot chick who's good in bed but has the emotional stability of a preganant woman

syc7090

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
If you question the quality that much why even consider one?
i think he's just curious as a potential buyer. nothing wrong with that. i'm actually very curious myself since i've always been a fan of marz forks for their reliability and was disappointed to hear that they were having problems with some of their 08 products. i'm just glad to hear they're remedying the situation. i hope to be a marz buyer again sometime in the future and expect the same reliability that made me a fan of their products in the first place.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
I sent in my NEW 09 Roco WC that came with a knock when i put it on. Have sent it in 2 times and gotten it back the same. Same knock. Called them again and was told there is really nothing they can do because they can't find anything wrong. Pretty ****tty for a $300 shock

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
what do you mean by a knock? i can't figure out what would made it knock. i've taken a few shocks apart and am not sure. you have an idea of what would make the noise.

as far as the 09's... they do feel and work a ton better. i never did have trouble with my 08 66 rc3 though

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I sent in my NEW 09 Roco WC that came with a knock when i put it on. Have sent it in 2 times and gotten it back the same. Same knock. Called them again and was told there is really nothing they can do because they can't find anything wrong. Pretty ****tty for a $300 shock
did you tighten the shock bolts?

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
did you tighten the shock bolts?

Tightened, replaced, swapped DU bushing's, reducers you name it just to verify, B/c zoke thought i was full of **** as well. have had a hand full of people ride it, all of which completely agree there's something not right.

no idea what the knock would be. it's only on compression, and happens anywhere in the stroke.

and for the comment about how good the 09's are; thats why i got one. after riding a few other's it was considerably better than current fox...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Tightened, replaced, swapped DU bushing's, reducers you name it just to verify, B/c zoke thought i was full of **** as well. have had a hand full of people ride it, all of which completely agree there's something not right.

no idea what the knock would be. it's only on compression, and happens anywhere in the stroke.

and for the comment about how good the 09's are; thats why i got one. after riding a few other's it was considerably better than current fox...
Do a search. There is a fix. My 07 did it too. There was a big write up on how to fix it. Its low on oil and you have an air bubble.

syc7090

Chimp
Jan 21, 2008
Do a search. There is a fix. My 07 did it too. There was a big write up on how to fix it. Its low on oil and you have an air bubble.
just playing devil's advocate here...but if that's true, isn't that something that marz should have noticed when the shock was sent it?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I may or may not have stripped one of the disc brake holes on the lowers of my 888, depending on whether I plan on selling it.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
can you link me please? been searching for 25 minutes and cannot find anything remotely related...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No issues with my Marzocchi roco WC air shock aside of the fact I beat the living cr@p out of it for over a year straight and didnt servie it.. :D:D:D:D
ROnnie rebuilt it last week. A year of bashing and it was time for a service.

Just got my 09 888 WCATA and LOVING it... MORE plush than last season and stupid accurate on its tracking, it is smoother out of the box then the 08s were and it is a hell of alot smoother than my boxxer WC was (08) it is as compliant on small stuff as the boxxer was but alot more stable in the rock gardens.

YES the bushings were fixxed and the ata issue was fixed and taken care of, talked to Tom and Ronnie when I was up there last wed to get my fork.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
can you link me please? been searching for 25 minutes and cannot find anything remotely related...

Roco service instructions are available at windwave.co.uk

If marz USA ever got their head out of their a$$ about tech info, I might consider buying another of thier products (although the quality of the internals makes it very hard to understand the $$)....Untill then, not going to happen!!

BTW, look through the first few pages of the MTBR suspension forum. IMO it is good sample of fork durability/qc for the average user, as it seems the majority of posters there are 'average users'. TST(in all its itterations) seems to be the big problem causer from Marz.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
TST(in all its itterations) seems to be the big problem causer from Marz.
Hey D, how the NW weather going right now, heard it got a bit windy and cold up there. Springs coming and we expect pics of the NW riding this year!!!
It is the problem child. The roco wc works great air and coil but the tst for some reason has issues.
They did go through and redo the 888 atas this year and apparently it cost a little too much to do so as far as what the main issue was and then repairing them.
09 is done and ready, late 08s were also done and ready.
The 888 recall was voluntary and only it was only 1 fork that screwed up, not a few or a couple or a slew of them but 1 fork.
Being thats the only real catastauphic failure compared to lowers cracking and stanchions as well as the lowers breaking on other forks out there I stick with marz even with growing pains.

Ronnies starting a marzocchi tuning cafe where people can go online and learn to work on and tune there forks/shocks and the vids will be downloadable as well as can be viewed anytime.

Last edited: