Quantcast

New Lyrik

Oct 29, 2007
THE SPOKE FLANGES ARE WIDER.
So instead of a stiffer fork, we get a stiffer wheel, which will likely exasperate the flexy fork even more. Awesome, thanks for that. Why exactly is it that several World Cup riders are looking for MORE flex out of their wheels (i.e. bladed spokes for the Gstaad-Scott team, or Marshy running lower spoke tension for Winnnarrrr) yet Joe Shmoe needs a stiffer wheel all of the sudden? Riddle me that.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
So instead of a stiffer fork, we get a stiffer wheel, which will likely exasperate the flexy fork even more. Awesome, thanks for that. Why exactly is it that several World Cup riders are looking for MORE flex out of their wheels (i.e. bladed spokes for the Gstaad-Scott team, or Marshy running lower spoke tension for Winnnarrrr) yet Joe Shmoe needs a stiffer wheel all of the sudden? Riddle me that.
It was actually Trek with their shitty 29er noodle cake wheels who posed the need for wider flanges. Then they carried that crap to the smaller wheels arguing it enables shorter chainstays. From their reasoning it turns out the praised Q factor now means nothing, and you can do ok pedaling as if you were riding a hippo.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
^ I didn't say it was better... my reply was to someone who seemed to think that boost front wheels are the same as 20x110 dh wheels with axle size being the only difference.

They are not the same- the spoke flanges and rotor spacing are wider on boost wheels. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just that there is an actual difference in hubs.

If you want less stiff wheels- why not run the non-boost ones? They are still for sale.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
It was actually Trek with their shitty 29er noodle cake wheels who posed the need for wider flanges. Then they carried that crap to the smaller wheels arguing it enables shorter chainstays. From their reasoning it turns out the praised Q factor now means nothing, and you can do ok pedaling as if you were riding a hippo.
I argued to go 83bbx157 on all bikes. q-factor concerns ruled that out.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I argued to go 83bbx157 on all bikes. q-factor concerns ruled that out.
I'm not arguing in favor of a narrower q factor. I was just pointing out how fast did Trek change their speech regarding it. One day you should pedal with your heels rubbing against each other, and the next one they say a Sportster Hugger should be taken as the default configuration.

But then again, this comes from the engineers who laughed when reading the comments here in RM... Screw the bike industry!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
^ I didn't say it was better... my reply was to someone who seemed to think that boost front wheels are the same as 20x110 dh wheels with axle size being the only difference.

They are not the same- the spoke flanges and rotor spacing are wider on boost wheels. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just that there is an actual difference in hubs.

If you want less stiff wheels- why not run the non-boost ones? They are still for sale.
Key word here. Of course DH hubs will be available for a long time but every time I hear the word in a similar discussion I want to punch every industry defender who says you aren't forced to buy something because it's still available when they know real well (well that or they are really dumb) that shops won't stock all standards and in a few years the old one will phase out.

Cliff Racer

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
Maybe SRAM could do a 20mm axle for the next model year and call it "RetroBOOST". If the name scores enough approval in focus group testing, maybe marketing will allow finance to release the development funds to engineering.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hub standards aside, I'll probably be buying the new lyric to replace my creaky (again) metric hlr on my tr500.
Any problems outside of the creaking? Wasn't it only the case of stanctions being fit into the crown without enough grease?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I cannot speak about the Metric, but my Vengeance is a stellar (albeit a bit heavy) fork and the only thing that pisses me off is its clicking from the steerer<->crown<->stanchion interfaces. It is massively annoying. Other than that, a very reliable fork. I just replaced oil in lowers, re-wrapped negative spring assembly and serviced the HLR damper and it feels better than new.

But the noisy crown sucks and there is nothing you can do about it.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Mind elaborating on your experience with the Metric? I was thinking about picking one of the new ones up.
I have had a Metric for well over a year and it is rock solid. Very tough fork, not a very light fork....

There was an unfortunate fellow who smashed a big redwood head-on at an enderpoo race last month.
His (carbon) frame disintegrated in multiple places, but the Metric on the front was just a smooth and solid as ever!

If you can handle the weight, that fork is golden.
20mm axle with pinch bolts, solid as *uck, not expensive, super easy to work on.

Kinda the opposite of SRAM offerings.....

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I wrecked one metric csu already. Then they sent me a USED fork as my replacement, after making me wait 3 months. So.... The "new" one is creaking too after like 5 rides. Fuck them, never again. Shame, the hlr damper is damn good.
Oh, and when I got my first fork, they assembled the negative spring wrong and it topped out really hard. I fixed it on my own after being told by x-fusion that I "needed to learn to use my adjustments". Up theirs, deep.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My 3rd fox float 36 is creaking. I give up and try not to care.

That was the recommendation from my lbs.

I hear that's where to go for the best service.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I find it amusing that the only person defending 15mm in both this thread and the teamrobot comments is a sponsored SRAM rider.

From an engineering standpoint, 20mm axles will allow a stiffer fork for a given weight, or a lighter fork for a given stiffness. It's no different to the superiority of 31.8mm bars over 25.4mm. The sad part is that SRAM actually had a very light 20mm axle solution (maxle light), but it was steamrolled by 15mm marketing rubbish.

20mm is superior. Bring on the RetroBOOST!

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Because the improvement is not worth more than a dropper post.
So why bother then...just don't buy the charger and keep the original cartridge...I'm confused do you guys change shocks on motorbikes every two years? Just spend the money on maintenance instead...Again my dog traits don't allow me to understand why the fuck should I be mad for every product I do not intend to buy....

Last edited:

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
So instead of a stiffer fork, we get a stiffer wheel
nope...there is actually NO way the caps can make the wheel stiffer....the spoke/rim flex will remain exactly the same... it will increase (maybe) the stiffness on the axle area... just like a 20, 25, 30mm may do.... at what degree....i think only measured test can answer
Instead the force is applied differently, if it really works how it claim part of the force that generally is applied mostly on the axle will be applied on the hub's sides.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
nope...there is actually NO way the caps can make the wheel stiffer....the spoke/rim flex will remain exactly the same... it will increase (maybe) the stiffness on the axle area... just like a 20, 25, 30mm may do.... at what degree....i think only measured test can answer
Instead the force is applied differently, if it really works how it claim part of the force that generally is applied mostly on the axle will be applied on the hub's sides.
He's not talking about the caps. The boost 15 standard does have wider flange spacing than 110x20, which would help with wheel stiffness.

I still think it's stupid.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Out of interest, what is the difference in axle to crown and offset in a 26" Boxxer vs. a 27.5 Boxxer? I mean, if one runs a 26" wheel in a 27.5" fork, is the world going to implode? Unridable?

Edit: and I think we all agree, 15mm axles were already stupid. Boost 15mm is downright insulting.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Out of interest, what is the difference in axle to crown and offset in a 26" Boxxer vs. a 27.5 Boxxer? I mean, if one runs a 26" wheel in a 27.5" fork, is the world going to implode? Unridable?

Edit: and I think we all agree, 15mm axles were already stupid. Boost 15mm is downright insulting.
568mm for the 26", 584mm for the 650b.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Not trying to start a shit storm here but are people really noticing the difference between a 15mm axle and a 20mm?
If the chassis is stout enough (apparently stiffer lowers than the pike) I don't really see why people are complaining about a possible lack of stiffness.
No people defiantly aren't, if there was a definitive performance loss these products would not have made it to market. This forum is just full of old heads that refuse to adapt to new stuff, not everything new is good but a majority of it is. The axle complaints sound like friends of mine in the late 90's making fun of me for buying hayes disk brakes.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I find it amusing that the only person defending 15mm in both this thread and the teamrobot comments is an employee of SRAM (and before that Trek). Go figure huh?

From an engineering standpoint, 20mm axles will allow a stiffer fork for a given weight, or a lighter fork for a given stiffness. It's no different to the superiority of 31.8mm bars over 25.4mm. The sad part is that SRAM actually had a very light 20mm axle solution (maxle light), but it was steamrolled by 15mm marketing rubbish.

20mm is superior. Bring on the RetroBOOST!
Fixed it for ya buddy!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
old heads ftmfw. gfto, new skoolers! if something fucking works, why screw with it? keep your new standards and your 15mm crap. i like what i run and i'll run it wherever, whenever.