Quantcast

New Lyrik

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't really see why people are complaining about a possible lack of stiffness.
I think people are complaining (or at least I AM) about the need to change their existing front hub in order to get a new fork in a market segment that has survived for years and years on the perfectly functional and appropriate 20mm axle standard.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think people are complaining (or at least I AM) about the need to change their existing front hub in order to get a new fork in a market segment that has survived for years and years on the perfectly functional and appropriate 20mm axle standard.
Exactly.

I have not ridden an otherwise identical fork in both 15 and 20mm versions, but my 2015 36 with a 20mm axle is stiffer than any 15mm fork I've ridden, for whatever (little) that is worth.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Do all of you have stock piles of 20mmx 29" or 27.5" front wheels or something? I mean it would have been nice if 15mm had never been introduced, but that was like 10 years ago. Complaining about it now is just a waste of text.

Regarding the stiffness concerns- I've been riding Lyrik since February and it is stiff- noticeably more than a Pike (i did back-to-back testing)... with 110 spacing and 'Torque Caps' it notches up another level (back to back lyrik normal vs lyrik 110 with torque caps).

I haven't ridden a 36 in a while, and never with the 20mm axle, so I can't comment on 36 vs Lyrik. I'd imagine they are close enough.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Nothing productive to say other than that I've been digging my 36/170. Although my frame has a 1.5" head toob, so I can run whatever diameter steerer I want. I also decided to get a 27.5 fork in which to run my 26" wheels. A-to-C is super close to my old 36/160 but that doesn't really matter, since my bike is unrideable anyway. I'll run 20mm until I can't anymoar. I see nothing compelling to make me want to change it up.

Also, TehRobutt haz spoken: http://www.theteamrobot.blogspot.com/2015/07/alternative-solutions.html

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
dear RS, a NEW Totem or Single crown BOXXER Please!, in 20mm and 1 1/8 steerer (for easy head angle change). (recently bought a 650b fox 36).

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Jesus. The industry is working so hard to fight the people who have more than one bike.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Wonder if the lowers will swap onto pike stantions...I wouldnt mind a dual position one if it's a little stiffer...I like my pike...the few new 36's Ive felt didnt make me want to sell my pike but admittedly they were just parking lot tests...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Why u'r wasting your time on solution when you have the entire internet to complain
There is a solution to every problem but that doesn't change the fact that the industry has been lately more focused at creating problems which we then later have to solve. Even my non bike friends who do a small xc/marathon even once a year with their kids noticed the insane amount of new standards and say they will wait with buying a new bike (and they buy 1000$ bikes so the biggest earner for big companies). And before you say that 15mm isn't new. I get it but 20mm was the standard for long travel heavy duty single crowns. It also means they are alienating dh with their own special standards (even more than usual).

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
There is a solution to every problem but that doesn't change the fact that the industry has been lately more focused at creating problems which we then later have to solve. Even my non bike friends who do a small xc/marathon even once a year with their kids noticed the insane amount of new standards and say they will wait with buying a new bike (and they buy 1000$ bikes so the biggest earner for big companies). And before you say that 15mm isn't new. I get it but 20mm was the standard for long travel heavy duty single crowns. It also means they are alienating dh with their own special standards (even more than usual).
I got it but no one is forcing you to buy a lyric, they do sell the god damn damper to be fit in the old lyric how cool is that? So you can:
1 save money
2 keep your 26
3 use your 20mm axle
or since you are buying a 1000 euro fork just spend 20 extra quit on adapters and get over it!

It is clear they want to have same stanchions to reduce cost production one axle for almost everything, that is why today you can buy top notch bike for half of the price.... i mean I have a plastic yt capra for 3400 euros...with all the bling bling...yes i have a 15mm axle but to be honest who cares if i'm slow is definitely not because my fork is flexing, seriously i got the point, we all know it, but i feel is mostly rant for the sake of it...

same goes for wheel size...i have a 26 and a 650b...and guess what they are 100% same fun

Last edited:

Cliff Racer

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
What does this new 15x110 bring that I don't already have with 20x110 I'm using with the 26 and 27.5 wheels I have now? It's a worthless change, simply for the sake of change.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I got it but no one is forcing you to buy a lyric, they do sell the god damn damper to be fit in the old lyric how cool is that? So you can:
1 save money
2 keep your 26
3 use your 20mm axle
or since you are buying a 1000 euro fork just spend 20 extra quit on adapters and get over it!

It is clear they want to have same stanchions to reduce cost production one axle for almost everything, that is why today you can buy top notch bike for half of the price.... i mean I have a plastic yt capra for 3400 euros...with all the bling bling...yes i have a 15mm axle but to be honest who cares if i'm slow is definitely not because my fork is flexing, seriously i got the point, we all know it, but i feel is mostly rant for the sake of it...

same goes for wheel size...i have a 26 and a 650b...and guess what they are 100% same fun
The no one is forcing you is a silly argument.

You can buy an old lyric but:
1. What if I want larger wheels
2. What if in a few years you won't be able to buy one
3. What if companies stop producing adapters for their hubs because no company makes 20mm forks outside of dh.

As for the capra you used a very stupid example. The capra is so cheap because it's a direct order company. Regular distribution bikes are actually more expensive then ever. Of course low range bikes are still very affordable but 6-7 years ago 6000$ bought you a top of the range bike. Now it's 9000-10000$.

Also your argument about being slow and that's why someone is complaining it's really dumb. What about heavy riders? Are people over 200lbs not allowed to ride enduro?

You are just one of those people who will think people will like him because you are positive about every dumb idea. I get it that people like that trait in dogs but unless you look like one it will only annoy people.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
who cares, buy Fox36, Bos and s****p

I'm done with Sram, Ro (ux)x ..Seeker(tm)
You do realize the fact that SRAM owns the biggest market share has a big influence on what other companies (ie. hub making companies) make?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Also your argument about being slow and that's why someone is complaining it's really dumb. What about heavy riders? Are people over 200lbs not allowed to ride enduro?
this. I have a Pike. I weigh over 210. I've had no end of troubles with reliability with my Pike, and I think in large part it's due to flex in the chassis. I don't feel it too much when riding, but the bushings in the air side (brake side) wore out in less than a season and a half, and I've blown out the damping cartridge 2x. I'm also on 26".

I like the performance of the Pike, when it works it's awesome. But having sent it back 4x for warranty, I'm weary. If it craps out again, I'm getting something else. The Lyrik might have been a good solution, but no 26" and no 20mm = not for me.

Another thing that annoys me about the 15mm std is that it is a pinch system that pulls the legs of the fork together. 20mm axles are clamped at each end of the axle. I'm not 100% sure, but my hunch is that that pinching of the legs can lead to binding of the stanchion in the lowers...