Quantcast

new Bike?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Okay, so I've outgrown My Morewood... i'm veering away from Single Pivot, but i don't have a fortune to spend.... but i do want a race gig as i will be Racing soon....

Bikes i looked at:

Commencal SUPREME DH V3
Divinci Wilson
Specialized Demo 8
KHS's Downhill Bike
Transition (Single Pivot)

those are my top 5.. The Specialized i would get Powdered Coated Immediately if i got it...

I've test rode every bike and they feel great.... just undecided...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Outgrown? you have gotten fat? No need for excuses we know you like to change bikes.

Commencal Supreme is just like the Transition a single pivots design with multible links (I am not sure what the right wording is?)

I have no riding time on any of the bikes but I would love to give the new DW designed Divinci a try. Good company too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the wilson and demo 8 are my first choices. there's a great thread on here comparing the two...

I don't think the KHS is available in the US. Maybe canada though. I'm not juiced on the TR450 in theory, but in person the bike did look great, and people certainly had no trouble going fast on it.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Outgrown? you have gotten fat? No need for excuses we know you like to change bikes.
No Excuses.... Outgrown meaning I'm ready for a change.... just asking what you guys though would be a great bike... i've been with morewood for over 4 years... it's time for me to move on... amazing bike.... but....

time to move one...

The Divincci looks amazing.... but i'm really digging that new commencal....

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
the wilson and demo 8 are my first choices. there's a great thread on here comparing the two...

I don't think the KHS is available in the US. Maybe canada though. I'm not juiced on the TR450 in theory, but in person the bike did look great, and people certainly had no trouble going fast on it.

I test rode the KHS (Chris Heaths) at the open and it felt SOOOOOOO good... def might be considering that...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Transition has one advantage over commencal - they are a us based company. Commencal has had laggy warranty in the past and some of their bike had durability issues in their first year so it is a risky choice. Though from what I remember the tr450 is heavish compared to the other frames.

the devinci or demo would be my first choices.

say what you will about the PFBB30, fork bumpers, shock compatibility, but the Demo really rides well, more poppy and responsive than the Session that I had. Corners well, tackles steep rocky chutes with good stability. The only downside is purely aesthetic (for some, the paint) or popularity (it's a "me too" bike).

The concentric rear axle pivot of the Devinci works well (if it's anything like the Trek). i believe it's a fully active suspension even under hard braking. It's unique, in that you don't see it around here that often. My only concern would be support, as there aren't many local dealers for warranty issues.

If you don't like the flashy demo paint, get the all black one. better jump on it quick tho, i suspect inventory are getting low for dh frames for most manufacturers as this point in the season.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You've got a very broad spread of different riding bikes listed there. And I'd venture to guess the Commencal is a very different riding bike than the Transition, based on pivot location alone.

I'm riding a Makulu right now and love the way it rides, and I have ridden plenty of super nice rigs over the years; but nothing in memory has impressed me as much as that new Wilson. The higher pivot takes square edge very well, corners better than anything I've ridden, tons of grip, pops jumps like a champ, and gives lots of feedback (positive) to let you know where you're at. It's also the only bike I've ridden that's damn near impossible to bottom while still feeling good in the mid-stroke. It seems like most very progressive bikes wallow and pack up in the mid stroke.

One thing my friends and I have found about low-leverage bikes is that you've gotta be on your game and riding fast to really appreciate the suspension. They kinda feel like ass when you're putting around.

IMO, the Wilson is an agile bike, but fits in the sled category, as it's low-slung, long, and your weight is centered between the wheels. All of your other choices are probably good, too. It's hard to find a bad bike these days.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I test rode the KHS (Chris Heaths) at the open and it felt SOOOOOOO good... def might be considering that...
his frame is a bit different from the frame that will be sold in the U.S.
they did have the new version that will be sold in the US in their pits though

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm wondering how the Devinci isn't a SP in terms of wheel path? Yes, it is a split pivot and thus behaves differently under heavy braking than say my 450, but I cannot envision how its wheel path is that different from my 450. That said, I love my 450 and would never rule out a SP based on alleged deficiencies.

As Sandwich mentioned, my only minor complaint about 450 is that it does seem a little porky compared to other offerings out there. Not 303DH piggish, but far from a carbon V10 for sure. Altho its pricepoint is probably less the others you mentioned with the possible exception of the KHS.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm wondering how the Devinci isn't a SP in terms of wheel path? Yes, it is a split pivot and thus behaves differently under heavy braking than say my 450, but I cannot envision how its wheel path is that different from my 450. That said, I love my 450 and would never rule out a SP based on alleged deficiencies.

As Sandwich mentioned, my only minor complaint about 450 is that it does seem a little porky compared to other offerings out there. Not 303DH piggish, but far from a carbon V10 for sure. Altho its pricepoint is probably less the others you mentioned with the possible exception of the KHS.
eh? all of these bikes are single pivots, besides the fsr'd spesh and the unlinkable KHS. The devinky has a great pivot location, centralized weight, and an integrated brake bar (insert patent here). That bike is a great package, IMO, and the only downsides I really see are rear axle complexity, a bit of pork, and interesting aesthetics. Frame sizing looks small too.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm wondering how the Devinci isn't a SP in terms of wheel path? Yes, it is a split pivot and thus behaves differently under heavy braking than say my 450, but I cannot envision how its wheel path is that different from my 450.
Both are 100% single-pivot. Pivot placement is a bit different though and probably results in a slightly different axle path.

Attachments

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Both are 100% single-pivot. Pivot placement is a bit different though and probably results in a slightly different axle path.
Yeah, but no. The Devinci is Split pivot, so it also has a concentric pivot at the BB and one at the axle (just like the Trek Session). So it is both a high single pivot and not at the same time.

Transition is run by good people and they have been putting out some really good bikes, but the Devinci looks fantastic.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah, but no. The Devinci is Split pivot, so it also has a concentric pivot at the BB and one at the axle (just like the Trek Session). So it is both a high single pivot and not at the same time.
lol que?

its a single pivot no matter what other terms are used

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
like is has been said already, Devinci = SP and even the Commencal for that matter is also a SP bike.

To the OP, you've listed bikes with very different riding characteristic my friend. If I were you , I would try to isolate what I like about a bike and figure out which is going to give you the most fun.

All 3 SP bikes have similar trait although the Devinci gets my vote.The bike comes STOCK with a custom valved rear shock ( big ++++ ) and has the same awesome riding feel than the other 2 ( great acceleration and such ) but unlike them , it has virtually no brake feedback... It doesnt make the Transition or the Commencal bad choices but its something to consider...The shock on its own makes a great deal of difference.

I dont like how FSR bikes ride (feels lazy and dead to me , great for plowing I suppose ) add the several known issues and that Demo goes out the door for me. Coming from an SP bike you wont find the Demo very lively to say the least...the UBER short CS kinda makes up for it around corners but has drawbacks at higher speeds...

KHS plays in a different league IMO and as far as Im concern shouldn't be on that list.

That said, I rarely like stock builds ( I dont buy complete bikes for that reason) and consider they are all great chassis, you might wanna go with the cheapest of the bunch and save some cash to upgrade it with the parts you like.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Though from what I remember the tr450 is heavish compared to the other frames.
The LG TR we had weighed 40 LBS without a light build up on it. It can be made to be 37 very easily. The bike was very solid overall. On very steep technical trails.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
That said, I rarely like stock builds ( I dont buy complete bikes for that reason) and consider they are all great chassis, you might wanna go with the cheapest of the bunch and save some cash to upgrade it with the parts you like.
Maybe i should have clarified.... I'm looking for a Frame-set, not a complete bike.. i have not owned a complete stock bike in forever... :-)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The LG TR we had weighed 40 LBS without a light build up on it. It can be made to be 37 very easily. The bike was very solid overall. On very steep technical trails.
Please stop with that we had it build light/can be build light. When on the market for a frame we need to compare frame weights, not possible builds as it gives a potential customer no information.
The frame is only 4.4kg w/o shock so its not a problem but its good to remember most frames are 400g+ lighter.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I'd take the wilson over the 450 anyday... no brake jack, higher pivot point means better thruw bumps and hits in general (better wheel path), etc, you couldnt go wrong with that one

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Please stop with that we had it build light/can be build light. When on the market for a frame we need to compare frame weights, not possible builds as it gives a potential customer no information.
The frame is only 4.4kg w/o shock so its not a problem but its good to remember most frames are 400g+ lighter.
I wouldn't trust any companies claimed weights they are 100% suspect. Weigh it yourself if that is a huge issue before buying it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I wouldn't trust any companies claimed weights they are 100% suspect. Weigh it yourself if that is a huge issue before buying it.
Thats actually sicklines weight ;) Forums and sicklines are best bet when you cant weight it yourself.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Thats actually sicklines weight ;) Forums and sicklines are best bet when you cant weight it yourself.
Cool yeah makes good sense. Trust me the Roadie nerds here building their 12K dollar bikes are weighing road tires and have 20-60GRM differences all the time. Some DH tires had 100GRAM variances. AHHAHAHAAH

Awesome