Quantcast

New Bike Products

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
It cost me around 700$cad to build my own DT 350/ WTB Asym i29 (very similar rims)/Sapim spokes 2 years ago and I had scored some good deals doing it. If I add the 36t ratchet upgrade (100$), E13 valves (25$) and MucOff Tape (20$), we're at 845$ cad. for the same wheels without lifetime warranty so I'd say it's a pretty good deal. In fact I dented a rim so it's pretty much even as long as I don't thrash another one.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
You mean that the connection between the handlebar and the top crown is flexing?
Is the flex only allowed in certain directions?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Whats right with the industry - MIPS/whatever new anti-concussion tech. Tested the MIPS system out in a crash the other day and I'll give it some merit. Stuff works way better than old helmets hey.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@toodles
Maybe I should get one of these new helmet too.
Glad to read that you are safe!

@Gary
Please don't ruin this one for me. This product would give an unique opportunity to impress my riding buddies who all have handlebars with various level of engineered flex combined with custom revgrips :brows:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Whats right with the industry - MIPS/whatever new anti-concussion tech. Tested the MIPS system out in a crash the other day and I'll give it some merit. Stuff works way better than old helmets hey.
Did you feel different while crashing? I've had some hard hits in my life but I'm not sure how I'd judge if a helmet worked better besides me walking away from a crash not puking.

Btw. Why did you crash on purpose?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Did you feel different while crashing? I've had some hard hits in my life but I'm not sure how I'd judge if a helmet worked better besides me walking away from a crash not puking.

Btw. Why did you crash on purpose?
Was a decent smash hey. Helmet has hits front and rear and I needed a CT scan on my head and neck to get the all clear. It was a bike path collision with another rider when I was on my way to the pub. Other fellow was stuck behind a group of slower riders, didn't see me coming and pulled out to overtake and we went head on at like 20kph each. Didn't even have time to touch the brakes. He was knocked out cold and needed an ambulance.

Obviously can't say for certain that MIPS made any difference but having no symptoms and getting the all clear from the docs and walking away with just bruises is a pretty happy outcome from a crash on hard surfaces with multiple head impacts. I felt the helmet 'slip' on contact with the ground, much like if the straps were too loose but was much less violent than I expected. All in all 12/10 - would wear for my next lawndart into concrete again

20230302_081913.jpg

That's the front of my lid. Its supposed to be symmetrical obviously.

20230302_081918.jpg

Back all scuffed up as well, plus a bit of impact damage.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I had a MIPS helmet and after having it pull off the tabs a couple of times I decided I hated it.
Went through some vines, pulled off the tabs, headbutt an overhead tree, off the tabs.
So if I crashed after those almost non events I would have been fucked.

But it does make a lot of sense and I think that Spesh helmet would suck to crash in if it didn't have MIPS. Aggressive, angular helmets without plastic covering the entire outer would be have to* be more likely to do bad things to your head/neck.

*Naturally I have no proof of this but this is the internet so it shouldn't matter.

I now have a Kaask normal helmet and a Bontrager with the for sale sign in the shell.
I've not crashed in either yet, but I will.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Was a decent smash hey. Helmet has hits front and rear and I needed a CT scan on my head and neck to get the all clear. It was a bike path collision with another rider when I was on my way to the pub. Other fellow was stuck behind a group of slower riders, didn't see me coming and pulled out to overtake and we went head on at like 20kph each. Didn't even have time to touch the brakes. He was knocked out cold and needed an ambulance.

Obviously can't say for certain that MIPS made any difference but having no symptoms and getting the all clear from the docs and walking away with just bruises is a pretty happy outcome from a crash on hard surfaces with multiple head impacts. I felt the helmet 'slip' on contact with the ground, much like if the straps were too loose but was much less violent than I expected. All in all 12/10 - would wear for my next lawndart into concrete again

View attachment 190377

That's the front of my lid. Its supposed to be symmetrical obviously.

View attachment 190378

Back all scuffed up as well, plus a bit of impact damage.
Bike path crashes, they'll get you every time!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bike path crashes, they'll get you every time!
The couple of crashes I can recall from when I used to daily bike commute in NYC, one was being doored and the other was another biker pulling out to overtake coming up hill on a bike path as I was heading downhill at 20mph...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The couple of crashes I can recall from when I used to daily bike commute in NYC, one was being doored and the other was another biker pulling out to overtake coming up hill on a bike path as I was heading downhill at 20mph...
Yeeesh. Yeah bike paths produce some carnage. One of my worst wipeouts was on one, got a little too aggressive on a gravel corner and ate it. The front/side of my left shin looked like bacon after, that crap took forever to heal. Also sprained my MCL and broke a perfectly good working road brake/shifter. Still have this weird soft bulge on the front of my knee.

Like @toodles, I was on my way to get some beer. I mean I still had some, but had to enjoy them while a buddy picked pebbles out of my leg.

This is when the left over skin started to say goodbye and the scab was taking over. It was so disgusting looking, but I kept going to a walkin clinic to have it get cleaned and it somehow never got infected. :rofl:

My elbow also had a pretty large scab on it. It got caught and ripped off on a gondola while riding some dh. I apologized to the other passengers for the blood... :dead::dead::busted:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Like @toodles, I was on my way to get some beer. I mean I still had some, but had to enjoy them while a buddy picked pebbles out of my leg.
I didn't even get a beer! I walked the last bit to the pub and the boys took one look at me and took me to the ER.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I assume helmets are a bit better now ....with MIPS and different ratings. .but this one did save my life...still ended up with a TBI and permanent effects for life..my other helmets are MIPS and or moto se4. Jaw piece was held together with a few strands shattered both sides and on top...

So any improvement on brain buckets that's not marketing BS is good with me

Screenshot_20230304_175104_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230304_175042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I hate MIPS. It gives the benefit of hair to crashing riders who don't have hair. For the majority of riders who have hair it does nothing while making helmets larger, hotter, and more expensive. Sure, include it on a few models, but it seems to have taken over the mid-high end helmets. Without it I suspect my Fox Proframe would be more comfortable and I removed it from a new Oakley road helmet I just got.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I hate MIPS. It gives the benefit of hair to crashing riders who don't have hair. For the majority of riders who have hair it does nothing while making helmets larger, hotter, and more expensive. Sure, include it on a few models, but it seems to have taken over the mid-high end helmets. Without it I suspect my Fox Proframe would be more comfortable and I removed it from a new Oakley road helmet I just got.
You forgot noisey too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I hate MIPS. It gives the benefit of hair to crashing riders who don't have hair. For the majority of riders who have hair it does nothing while making helmets larger, hotter, and more expensive.
Thanks for the concise and honest review. Genuinely*.
Sure, include it on a few models, but it seems to have taken over the mid-high end helmets.
So stick to budget helmets. They're all covered by the same safety ratings. and plenty have good fit, retention and venting. I've never owned even a mid priced normal bike helmet in my life. Infact I've never paid more than £30 for a normal (no full-face) bike helmet and the only reason I ever paid more than that for Full face helmets was because of vanity. I basically thought D2s "looked" more aesthetically pleasing to me than others.

*I still have a full head of medium length thick hair and wear a helmet for way less than 1% of the riding I do. (basically only ever for off-road descending)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I thinned so I shave head did well before that.. Head shape makes certain fits better no doubt. Fox is rounder, TLD is more oval shaped. That old urge helmet I gave to troy personally at tld, he hooked me up with another helmet. He wanted to see constructiona and failure...

I went back to TLD from there he and I had a really good chat about construction and design. My old d2 has smashed into rocks sliding and bounced of several ...retired it but trusted it, went to the urge and granted that hit would have finished any helmet off the whole jaw being disconnected and it shattered on all sides of helmet ..

That said I love fox and TLD...my kid rock's a fox and a troy lee, me it's TLD due to fit and safety.

As far as MIPS my old d2 I'm sure the MIPS would have been discolored all over from years of abuse..still kicked ass

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You forgot noisey too.
I've had mixed experience with noise due to MIPS. Some are silent as, others are unbearable.

I think there's still plenty of options without MIPS kicking about. FWIW, I have decent length hair and I don't think its still a noticeable effect vs. not having it.

*edit* I'm not a doctor obviously, I don't care what others choose to run and I reckon just run whatever the hell you want to do. I'm not your mum.

Last edited:

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Leatt makes pretty nice lids. I have a roundish oval head shape and they fit me well. I use their moto helmets/goggles as well. No noise, just little grippy round things that 'rest' on your skull.