Quantcast

Need some opinions on DH forks

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
I've been rocking out a 2002 shiver since I started riding DH (2 in all, i stupidly sold the first one).

The fork was having some major issues towards the end of last year and I don't want to get rid of it, but at this point i'm thinking about getting a new fork.
The only one that has the feel I like is a 888 with the avalanche upgrades.
-or-
shipping the shiver out to marzocchi to have the internals/seals etc replaced.

I'm not opposed to spending the $ for a new fork, but i'd hate to spend the $ and not be happy with a new one.
Pretty much all the newer forks I've ridden on just don't have the feel i like, like the shiver has. something about it's simplicity and flex........

anyways, any opinions here?
has anyone recently had a shiver serviced by marzocchi, and how did it feel afterwards?

thanks!

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
a new fork will definitely be lighter. sure they feel good, but just about everything now feels good or better once its broken in and serviced properly a couple times...plus service parts are much easier to find meaning you won't have to send it out to zocchi once a year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is marz still even servicing shivers?

that being said, i'd recommend an upgrade regardless (and i saw this as a former shiver owner, and i absolutely loved that fork). You can also get an avy cart for a boxxer. the weight drop makes a huge difference.

do you prefer air sprung or coil?

one option that you have to save some $$ is to get a used fork (888 or boxxer - if you find one with a blown damper unit you could get it even cheaper) because you're just gonna drop a new damper unit in it anyways.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
Thanks for the replies...

I'm not really concerned about weight; i'd rather just have the right fork for me.
Boxxers are nice, I just don't like how they feel.

JonKranked---100% coil for me, i had a 888 ATA for a few months that I absolutely hated. Loved all the adjustments and the weight was nice (after getting used to it), it just felt wrong for me.

I do agree about avy upgrades though, I saw a guy at Diablo last season who was running a 888 with the avy cartridge and it was smooth as butter---that's what got me thinking bout finally ditching the old trusted shiver.

And to be honest, while I can afford to buy it new...i don't really want to drop >$1000 on a new one just to spend $300 more for the avalanche upgrade.
-edit: last i checked avy cart. price was $300. it's $427 now, d'oh!

Thanks again all, I think I'll just keep trolling the classifieds for a while until a good used 888 comes along.
Unless anyone else knows of someone selling?

Last edited: