Quantcast

My TR450, the Easton 35 bars, Zelvy Carbon guard and Shimano's 820 brakes.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Got a chance to get my ass out of the heat this weekend and go ride some DH at Sunrise here in AZ. This meant I got to do some product testing.

First out of the box was the new Easton 35mm bars and direct mount stem. All I can say is this: stiff, stiff stiff. Yes, the 800 was pretty damn wide for riding technical tree stuff here in AZ, but once I learned to dance around trees some, it was the perfect set up for me. Right width, stiff as hell, and the colors are ugly as sin.

Next was the Zelvy Carbon downtube guard. I'll put up some photos tomorrow when I get a chance, but I thought I'd give these guys the thumbs up. Rode a lot of rocks that jumped up, the guard is still 100% and no dents under the guard, which is a plus. And its pretty damn beautiful. Well laid up carbon, good clear coat, and the bends in it made it mate up to the frame without fitting or BS.

And my 820's. All the modulation of my old Gustavs, but with more power and a lot less weight. I did notice some what look like burn marks on the rear ice-tech rotor, which could be attributed to the fact that I am a 240# brake dragger. I am going to clean them off tomorrow and see if the burn marks are still there. Like I said, photos tomorrow.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nice.

Do you have any time on the Saint 810s? I'm super super happy with mine, with the possible exception of the lever ergonomics. Sort of debating whether I'm better off just updating the levers, or going full retard and getting the 820s. I'm not such a fat bastard so there's no way I could possibly need/want moar powerz but if the modulation is substantially better or something I could be tempted.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was on the 810's for about a month. I found myself with sorer hands and more arm pump on the 810's. I really found the modulation and the levers to be a lot better on the 820's.

The downside is that they don't have pads out for them yet. Not a huge issue, but I like to keep a couple spare sets in my box for when I go out of town. Hate having to try to find parts on the road.

I would absolutely recommend them over the 810's. And the rotors really do stay cooler. Like a dumbass I decided to do the "I'll touch it to see if its really cooler" test at the bottom. No hand burn, which says something to me.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
there m810s are sweet brakes.

the m820s are slightly better in all facets(more power/bite, better modulation, less fade), but not going to change your life or anything.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I was on the 810's for about a month. I found myself with sorer hands and more arm pump on the 810's. I really found the modulation and the levers to be a lot better on the 820's.

The downside is that they don't have pads out for them yet. Not a huge issue, but I like to keep a couple spare sets in my box for when I go out of town. Hate having to try to find parts on the road.

I would absolutely recommend them over the 810's. And the rotors really do stay cooler. Like a dumbass I decided to do the "I'll touch it to see if its really cooler" test at the bottom. No hand burn, which says something to me.
I'm a good 70lb lighter than you, and haven't ever run out of power or faded my 810s badly so it's probably more a case of me going "ooh shiny want" than really having a serious need. I'll probably throw the new gen XT levers on and call it a day.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Next was the Zelvy Carbon downtube guard. Rode a lot of rocks that jumped up, the guard is still 100% and no dents under the guard, which is a plus. And its pretty damn beautiful. Well laid up carbon, good clear coat, and the bends in it made it mate up to the frame without fitting or BS.
I live in a world of endless asking for more guards FOR carbon frames, and meanwhile somebody is making carbon guards for aluminum frames. I love you bike industry.
Does anyone make a guard to protect the carbon guard? I'm afraid if the carbon guard failing catastrophically on rox and leaving splinterz in my gnur. (did i get that right guys?).

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I live in a world of endless asking for more guards FOR carbon frames, and meanwhile somebody is making carbon guards for aluminum frames. I love you bike industry.
Does anyone make a guard to protect the carbon guard? I'm afraid if the carbon guard failing catastrophically on rox and leaving splinterz in my gnur. (did i get that right guys?).
oh quiet, you're being silly. carbon guard for alu frames, and alu guard for carbon frames. obvi.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland

Zelvy guards are not just carbon, but kevlar. And the "cushiness" of the mounting tape also helps.
How is the weight on the bars and stem?

I just landed the new XTR trail brakes. And I am a bit worried I should have gone the Saints, a 100kg brake dragger.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Weight is negligible when compared to a Deity stem and 800mm Gravity Lite bar.

I think this guard is going to be able to withstand a hell of a lot of abuse actually. I've had a lot of carbon like it on my street bikes over the years, and its pretty easy to tell when its in your hand what is crap and what will work. It came with a nice silicone mounting tape, which gives a little cushion for the pushin'. I also put a layer of motorcycle clear M3 tape under it, just for ****s and grins.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just landed the new XTR trail brakes. And I am a bit worried I should have gone the Saints, a 100kg brake dragger.
Send 'em to me for, uh, testing. Wouldn't want to get caught with inadequate brakes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dammit, until very recently it was in Sydney. Sorry, postage to the states might be a little more. I'll PM you though. :D

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Zelvy guards are not just carbon, but kevlar. And the "cushiness" of the mounting tape also helps.
How is the weight on the bars and stem?

I've talked to the antidote guys and one thing makes me wonder. They are dead set that vectran is beter than kevlar for frames and other dh application. Why everyone goes for kevlar? I know in protectors it doesn't make a differance but I'm curious frame wise. Cost/benefits too high?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
When I was in the alps I saw quite a few guys with guards on their fork lowers. Looked ridiculous. We really need guards for the guards!

We can also manufacture guards for shocks and fork lowers, and are currently developing a dérailleur guard also.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Here are the photos as promised.

As you can see, the Zelvy guard is already taking a beating from NE Arizona. I've looked it all over, and its 100% intact, which is a lot more than I can say for guards I've used in the past (which is why I got away from using guards all together for 5 years.)

Does a nice job too of running the entire usable length of the downtube.

Onto the new Saints.
Like I said, they stop like champs, but I am a little concerned from the blackening on the ice-tech rotors. Maybe just from the stock break pads?

And finally the Havoc 35mm bars and stem. I love these. Stiff as a steel pipe, and can take some hits without scratching or flinching. Ask anyone who rides with me, I kiss the ground a lot, and when I do I tend to take parts with me to their great reward. Not so much with the 35's...

Yea, they wide...

Single bolt pinch points though. Time will tell how well this works.

All and all Leisure Suit Larry is coming along really well. Might switch out the pedals (Straitlines) for some even more annoyingly colored Twenty6's as the Straitlines don't want to spin much anymore. This was cool until they unwound themselves from the crank, which was also my fault for not cranking them down hard enough. The downside was my one boo-boo that I can show on RM:

A little cut on the shin. Mind you what I can't show you was when the pedal came out of the crank arm I landed on my balls at full drop, which are now nicely black and blue.

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Your rotor or pads may be contaminated with oil. Sand down your pads lightly and clean everything with rubbing alcohol.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I think the more relevant point is that it's A guard that weighs almost nothing and can be replaced easily and cheaply if/when it gets sacrificed to save your $2500 frame. If you could replace downtubes that cheaply and easily then there'd be no need :)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Seeing as I'm not gnarcore, take this with a speck of meth dust, but are people really caving in downtubes, or even severely denting them? I heard about some of the original Sessions, but most of the DH frames I see are pretty damn burly in the big tube area. I have a 450, and numerous rocks (East Coast Rox mind you) have bounced harmlessly off the DT, and I've had a couple award winning stack ups with no issue. Or is this about avoiding damage from shuttling in a pick up truck?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Are you suggesting BC rox are harder than East Coast Rox? Pffftt.... :thumb:

Well, good on ya then! Maybe if I actually rode my bike in excess of 7 mph I might earn a rock divot myself. But I have Saint brakes, so that seems unlikely <sigh>

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Seeing as I'm not gnarcore, take this with a speck of meth dust, but are people really caving in downtubes, or even severely denting them? I heard about some of the original Sessions, but most of the DH frames I see are pretty damn burly in the big tube area. I have a 450, and numerous rocks (East Coast Rox mind you) have bounced harmlessly off the DT, and I've had a couple award winning stack ups with no issue. Or is this about avoiding damage from shuttling in a pick up truck?
I am 9/10 avoiding shuttle damage. I will throw the bikes over the back of the bed and drive 800 or so miles sometimes up to Tahoe to ride. The old 303 and my ASR5 had some pretty good rub marks from the Dakine pad. Thought I might try to take my time, be nice to my bike up front, see if it makes things better in the long run. I am not "super" concerned about rock bangs, they happen, its a bike, its supposed to get a beating. But if I can avoid throwing it a slamming just in transport, that's worth the $100 to me.

I have numerous dents, scrapes and chips all over my lower DT. My biggest dent is directly in front of my bb shell, and that guard would have done absolutely nothing to prevent it. Is there a reason it stops a couple of inches short of completely protecting the DT?
Honestly, I don't know why it stops short. Maybe I put it on wrong. But like I said above, I did this mostly to deal with the shuttle scars all of my other bikes seem to have. I'm lazy, you know this. I like hanging the bikes over the tail gate and driving. For that purpose it protects the frame really well.

Dirt-
I've done the Straitline rebuild more than once. It's easy as pie and your pedals will spin like new.
Is it abnormal to have to rebuild pedals after 6 rides?

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I gave up on downtube gaurds for my tr450
They look stupid and interfere with my steering
I resorted to using a tire, but the MCBP staff constantly made of me for it. No tire no longer!
But What does that Zelvy run? And how does it mount?
Zelvy for the Tr450 2012