Quantcast

My e13 Story

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
k9handler said:
well I have a broken e. thirteen bash guard...a friend broke it on a rock so it's not something that can take all you (or my friend) can give it. I will post some pics of it when I get home later.
If your friend broke one, then most likely it is defective, or he did not use the washers under the heads of the chainring bolts. His best bet would be to get in contact with e.thirteen support. support@e13components.com. We'll see what we can do for him.

Since 2000 I can count the number that have legitmately broke (at least that I am aware of) on one hand, seriously.

dw

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
There are a number of reasons as to why something like this could happen. Like dw stated, the lack of the M8 washers under the chainring bolt heads tends to be the most common. This allows the heads of the bolts to dig into the polycarbonate tabs sacrificing the structural integrity. Another possibility is over torquing of the bolts. They only require 43 inch pounds of torque. Any more and the material becomes pre-stressed. The cracks may not appear immediately. Once a high frequency vibration occurs within the material (a hard impact) the material can give out and the fractures reveal themselves. The strength of the bashguards' set up comes from the chainring nuts and their resistance to sheering. A local rider up here slammed his bashguard a couple days agp while doing a stall and bent his spider to uselessness. The bashguard was bent as well, but once the chainring bolts were taken off the bashguard snapped back into alignment. Pretty amazing material to work with. Another problem I've seen is that Loctite will interact with the polycarbonate and cause severe weakness at the tabs. The chainring boolts are such a fine pitch thread, and at 15mm long, provide more than enough thread surface area to keep things together.

Oh yeah, if you don't own a torque wrench (most people don't), you can hold the short end of an "L" bend Allen wrench and just hand tighten the bolts - always a good rule of thumb in any situation.

Like dw said earlier, though, manufacturing defects occur sometimes (but I've only seen one in my days here). Please feel free to get in touch with me directly at support@e13components.com and we can get this worked out.

Thanks
J

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Jonas said:
Oh yeah, if you don't own a torque wrench (most people don't), you can hold the short end of an "L" bend Allen wrench and just hand tighten the bolts - always a good rule of thumb in any situation.

Thanks
J
well that's quite a handy tip.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
Let me start with a big thanks to the guys for the quick reply and support for the products. :)

after looking at the chain guide today on a friends Giant AC2 I decided to make a modification to the plastic spacers and allow the guide to be positioned closer to the rear swingarm of my 2004 Kona Stinky.

As you can see it is still close to the bottom plane of the bash guard, but almost 1/2 inch closer to the swingarm so a little better protection.

PART 2

As for the broken bash guard, I have sent the pictures to jonas and they are taking care of it. :)