Quantcast

My e13 Story

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
a few months back I was in the process of ordering a Canfield and questions about using an e13 SRS guide on it came up. So I emailed e13 tech support and inquired. Response was back to me minutes later basically saying they werent sure but would look into the set-up. Few days later I get a follow-up email from Jonas at e13 saying he looked into it and wasnt entirely sure it would work but offered a few suggestions. I told him I would try it out and if it worked, would let him know. Fast forward a few weeks and due to laziness on my part, I hadnt tried the guide set-up on the F1. Jonas sends me a another follow-up to see if I had tried it out and how it had gone. I explained I hadnt but was planning to over the holiday weekend. Jonas then says he is going home for holidays in Western Mass and offers to come to my house to try and set it up. Mind you, I am far very much eastern Mass ( just north of Boston)so this would be WAY out of his way. I said it wasnt necessary but he said he would really like to check it out and see if he could help out. Unbelievable. So he comes to my house on Chrsitmas Eve, on his own time, wayyyyy out of his way to help me, just some shlub, set up his bike with their guide that I already owned ( I wasnt even buying a new one). He spent a long time trying different combinations, of things to make it work, etc. It didn't end up working but not from lack of effort for certain.
I have to say I am blown away by the service and support from e13 and more specifically, Jonas. People always post when they get treated badly or screwed so I figured I would share a stellar experience. Absolutely stellar. Thanks e13 and Jonas....you got a customer for life.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Word! All the folks I've dealt with at E.13 have been nothing but prompt, curtious and knowledgable! They are the example that should be followed by all in this industry! :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that's awesome!

too bad it didn't work, but big thumbs to jonas for going way over the call of duty. fwiw, i've had great support from mike and jonas when i had guide setup questions too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Above and beyond... Just like they always do!

That's awesome. I've had nothing but great support from them as well.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
maybe his first hand trial will lead to a possible new design to accomodate canefield.

i thought the canefiled already has a top roller so were you just trying to mount the bottom roller, or both of them cause the frame roller is up high away from the chainring?

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
YETI187 said:
maybe his first hand trial will lead to a possible new design to accomodate canefield.

i thought the canefiled already has a top roller so were you just trying to mount the bottom roller, or both of them cause the frame roller is up high away from the chainring?
yeah we tried that ( just removing the upper guide) but you have to tension the chain a bit at the 1 o'clock position to keep it from falling off an big compressions. Canfield does provide the proper backplate along with the frame and it goes on super easy...I just really wanted to use my SRS.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Now thats amazing service, I think the canfields are in the same boat linkage wise for setting them up properly as the karpiels, I was hoping to run an e13 as well, but settled for an MRP, with the e13 supercharger.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Reports like this go a long way. I was looking for a new chainguide for a couple of my bikes. Due to the overwhelming reports of great customer services and product quality I am getting an e.thirteen guide.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
That service is amazing I love E13s service its great. I had a bad plate on my bighit dh an older style and i couldnt even afford how much the replacement was and they sold me one for cheaper just because they wanted to make sure i was happy with their guides. e13 rocks my socks.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Brian HCM#1 said:
Now thats amazing service, I think the canfields are in the same boat linkage wise for setting them up properly as the karpiels, I was hoping to run an e13 as well, but settled for an MRP, with the e13 supercharger.

hey brian, ive set up SRS`s on all sorts of karps w/o any problem, what crank/bb combo were you using that didnt work? (so i dont go there)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hey Auntesther-

Glad to hear you were pleased with the service, but sorry to hear we couldn't get the guide working. Hopefully Jonas will have enough useful info that we'll be able to figure out a solution.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice words of support. Over the years, we found that customer service isn't too difficult - you've just got to really care about it. Jonas is a great example of someone who cares immensely, and has the initiative to do something about it (he went to auntesther's house on his own accord - I never asked him to do it but was very pleased when he told me about his plans). We're lucky to have him and the rest of our staff on board!

Have a nice holiday season everyone,

John P.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
mobius said:
That service is amazing I love E13s service its great. I had a bad plate on my bighit dh an older style and i couldnt even afford how much the replacement was and they sold me one for cheaper just because they wanted to make sure i was happy with their guides. e13 rocks my socks.
no you mean R0x0rs my s0x0rs

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
vitox said:
hey brian, ive set up SRS`s on all sorts of karps w/o any problem, what crank/bb combo were you using that didnt work? (so i dont go there)
I'm using a 118mm BB, it works with a longer spindle but the chainline isn't the best. With my MRP, the chainline is dead on. I've been kinda working with dw about this, but it hasn't been fully resolved as of yet.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
these guys are like bike service gods or something!
i'v never had a bad experience with them and i have talked to them a fare bit.
It's nice to know that there is a company going that extra mile.
Rock on Evil/e-13
kai-

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Give Jonas a raise!!! Top-notch service always from evil/e-13. I've always been impressed. They have my loyalty.

Toby

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Yes, e.13 is the best, no doubt about it. Jonas responded to 9 of my emails when I was trying to get an SRS setup on my BB7. He even followed up to see if I had ordered a part that I needed. Another e.13/evil customer for life!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I see Lance hasn't chimed in yet so I will.

You cant use an E13 backplate/guide on a canfield because of the upper pully and angle of the boomerang itself. The F1 cant be run without that upper guide pully, as a result you need a custom guide backplate. The chain on an F1 leading from the pully to your chainring is coming down almost vertical. Because of this you have to have the upper guide roller (or plastic thing on an E13) rotated all the way forwards so its perpenducular to the chain that comes from above, but the bottom roller on the guide still has to be positioned as it would on any bike. Right under the chainstay. So on a normal guide boomerang like the E13 the angle of the boomerang is too small to let you have the rollers where they need to be. This is why the F1 comes with its own boomerang for you to mount some MRP rollers on.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
The E-13 guys fine tuned my son's chainguide at Snowshoe and it's been trouble free since. Our LBS ordered another SRS for my daughter's slalom bike.

Is it any wonder when someone asks what guide to get, just about everyone says, E-13?

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
Curb Hucker said:
I see Lance hasn't chimed in yet so I will.

You cant use an E13 backplate/guide on a canfield because of the upper pully and angle of the boomerang itself. The F1 cant be run without that upper guide pully, as a result you need a custom guide backplate. The chain on an F1 leading from the pully to your chainring is coming down almost vertical. Because of this you have to have the upper guide roller (or plastic thing on an E13) rotated all the way forwards so its perpenducular to the chain that comes from above, but the bottom roller on the guide still has to be positioned as it would on any bike. Right under the chainstay. So on a normal guide boomerang like the E13 the angle of the boomerang is too small to let you have the rollers where they need to be. This is why the F1 comes with its own boomerang for you to mount some MRP rollers on.
Exactly....its awesome Canfield includes the backplate..I had just wanted to try to reuse my trusty SRS. Oh well, nothing lost from trying but some time....

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks a lot to Jonas, and thanks to all of you guys for sharing your positive experiences. Thats the best Christmas present I got this year!

Have a good New Years everyone

Dave

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Had a similar experience with my DRS.

Jonas hooked me up w/ a solution to the problem and even followed up twice to make sure it was working.

Beers for e13 & Jonas.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
just purchased and installed one today, not very difficult to install and tweek for a better fit. Now to have fun and test it.

FOR KONA STINKY 2004 Models: Note that the guide will not align as described in the instructions because the rear swingarm if the Stinky slopes down into the area where the guide needs to be. The guide does tension the chain and will work properly, it just doesn't clear the bottom of the bash guard completely.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
well I have a broken e. thirteen bash guard...a friend broke it on a rock so it's not something that can take all you (or my friend) can give it. I will post some pics of it when I get home later.