Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Never, a tire is useless under 140 psi

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Would you ever consider purchasing a high end MTB specific floor pump? As MTB specific it would:
-have a large gauge with more resolution but only reads up to abut 60 psi.
-A larger diameter piston for higher flow rates (easier to seat tubeless tires).
-All metal construction

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes.
And the built in feature to make it easier to set tubeless would be the selling point for me.
The gauge is the big thing for me. I like my tires at 27psi, not 26 or 28. The gauges on most pumps have no resolution but go up to 150-200psi. Completely worthless for me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I use my current floor pump to check the tires on my moto. I like my street bike tires at 37psi warm. I don't have a gauge on my pump, so it's a huge pain in the ass sometimes, but I would consider buying something like that if it were in the $50 to $75 range.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would have if I hadn't already bought a thing.

I can't believe anybody would notice or care whether their tires were at 27 or 28psi. I once asked a friend whether his gauge was accurate on his pump, and he said "I don't know, I just grab the tire"....and it was like, "Oh yeah". Is the tire squishy? Great! Is the tire too squishy? Uh oh. Is the tire not squishy enough? Better fix that. It's easy! And free! I use my gauge to tell when to stop, then I grab a fistful of tire and check.

Sorry for the rant...but yeah, a big wide 0-60 gauge would be better than a 0-120.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Yes, especially if you had rebuilt kits or parts available so it would last forever, ala Silca.

Being able to seat tires in a parking lot would be sweet.
Not having to carry a gauge would be sweet.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not me personally. I ride all kinds of bikes, including some with tires that I pump to 120 psi, and I want each of my pumps to work for all my rides.

But, I don't ride tubeless, and I'm ok with the readings that are within a pound or two.

It's interesting, but I want something else:

I want a device that I set to a particular pressure, accurate to, let's say, 0.25 PSIG. I set it, go to the tire and it either inflates or deflates the tire as appropriate to attain the desired pressure. It could work with a hand pump or an air compressor.

Shouldn't be rocket science to come up with and I'd willingly pay $100- for it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

I want a device that I set to a particular pressure, accurate to, let's say, 0.25 PSIG. I set it, go to the tire and it either inflates or deflates the tire as appropriate to attain the desired pressure. It could work with a hand pump or an air compressor.

im sure it could be done with a CO2 cartridge w/ a fancy head on it. id buy that

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Interesting idea, but I wouldn't buy one. I don't feel the need to be super accurate with tire pressures and wouldn't want to keep track of two pumps for different bikes. I also haven't had much of a problem seating UST tires with a regular floor pump.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Air Tool Pro = happy camper.

With the pressure release valve I can dial in my pressures pretty readily anyways, and I need one pump for mountain and road. Only way I'd buy a pump like that would be if it was an Air Tool Pro that was MTB specific!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sounds like a good idea to me. the valve clamp on my cheapo floor pump is starting to piss me off. If you have it ready for next week, I might buy one.

You should call it Westy's Big Wind.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
It's an interesting idea for sure. I'd probably buy Sq-Earl one at some point...he likes having lots of tools :) We currently use the air compressor to seat UST tires but it sucks to have to do it with a regular floor pump at a race!

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

Should actually be fairly easy to build. The thing that might be tricky is maintaining the .25 psi resolution over a range of pressures. I would think a high-end pressure regulator in line with your tank would do the job. Not sure about the two way functionality though... McMaster Carr or Grainger would be a good place to start looking for parts...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

If you're running a shrader valve and you dont mind over-inflating your tires first, there's something out there that does it: http://oasismfg.thomasnet.com/viewitems/tire-deflators/automatic-tire-deflators?&forward=1

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If it were me, I'd want a floor pump that had the option to divert to a small pressurized tank. I could pump that sucker up to like 80 psi and then hit a button to dump the tank into the tire and viola! Tubeless tire seated easily.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
I always keep a Silca Pista handy as it has a screw in adapter for presta and unscrew that from the head to go schrader. For my home shop, I just use a small compresser with an air valve on it like you'd see at a gas station, had it for years with no issues.