Quantcast

MTB in Puerto Rico

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
my wife and her new found love of mountain biking (all deitys help me), have expressed a desire for me to take her to Puerto Rico for a get out of the cold, MTB trip.

Any local knowledge?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
why not go there and actually help them to rebuild their country after the great USA failed to do so*?

(*shithole status etc)
It's a shame. I've been there before and after. I hate to say it had shithole status before the hurricane, but....

The real shame is that it is a beautiful island close to the US. but last time I checked there biggest export was Oxy. And there doesn't seem to be much other work available, which is ironic, considering the work that NEEDS to be done.

I don't mind spending a little money there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Im down in Tucson. Sedona is a few hours drive. If you are going to Sedona in March, im guessing its for the bike fest? Are you bring Demo bikes?
Whiskey Off Road is at the end of April in Prescott, that could also be a good time to hit a bunch of AZ trails. I know I'll be right after the race.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't know about PR, but there was some mountain biking on St Croix when we vacationed there. Didn't actually do it, but the island encompasses a bigass mountain/volcano, so there are hills and rainforest to ride through. Daydreamed about leading bike tours there, then got back to reality. Would be a nice combo of active and beach stuff too.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Im down in Tucson. Sedona is a few hours drive. If you are going to Sedona in March, im guessing its for the bike fest? Are you bring Demo bikes?
Yes. Going to the fest. On the waitlist for a booth spot, but I’ll be there with a few bikes either way

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Whiskey Off Road is at the end of April in Prescott, that could also be a good time to hit a bunch of AZ trails. I know I'll be right after the race.
Ya. I remember you mentioning it last year

Prescott, around ‘94. Cactus cup before it moved to Scottsdale and eventually got ousted by Sea Otter

I was working with a small machine shop called Ultimate Machine in Prescott

End of April might work

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Don't know about PR, but there was some mountain biking on St Croix when we vacationed there. Didn't actually do it, but the island encompasses a bigass mountain/volcano, so there are hills and rainforest to ride through. Daydreamed about leading bike tours there, then got back to reality. Would be a nice combo of active and beach stuff too.
I’ll check that out too. US territory is a big plus

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ
Howzit Bro,
According to my family its still in recovery mode, unless you have a personal guide I would stick to the beaten path if you decide to visit. That said the off road riding is quite a unique experience pending where you go on the island, however a lot has changed since the hurricane.
Another option is to come visit Rotorua New Zealand during Crankworx or anytime during the summer. Rotorua has a great selection of trails for every level of rider and or bike developers, the scenery is pretty sick!
I work at the main trail head of the forest so can get you set up with epic adventure, would be great to (shred) check out your rigs in person :).
Cheers,
Freddy

It's a shame. I've been there before and after. I hate to say it had shithole status before the hurricane, but....

The real shame is that it is a beautiful island close to the US. but last time I checked there biggest export was Oxy. And there doesn't seem to be much other work available, which is ironic, considering the work that NEEDS to be done.

I don't mind spending a little money there.