Quantcast

MTB HAll of Fame moves to Fairfax, CA

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Whats funniest is that the location of the "Hall of Fame" has practically banned mountain bikes. No one there gives a fvck about them, and they probably never really have. A bunch of retread greasers on retrofitted coaster brake bikes bombing down fire roads wearing denim and flannel with someone else boots on do not tend to inspire awe in anyone but each other.

Mountain biking was invented there in the same manner that powered flight was invented at Kitty Hawk, or electricity harnessed at Menlo Park...

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Whats funniest is that the location of the "Hall of Fame" has practically banned mountain bikes. No one there gives a fvck about them, and they probably never really have. A bunch of retread greasers on retrofitted coaster brake bikes bombing down fire roads wearing denim and flannel with someone else boots on do not tend to inspire awe in anyone but each other.

Mountain biking was invented there in the same manner that powered flight was invented at Kitty Hawk, or electricity harnessed at Menlo Park...
What's funny about this diatribe is the fact that you have apparently never visited Fairfax.

The Fairfax economy practically runs on mountain biking. On a weekend you can't find a parking place in the town because of the hundreds of riders showing up from everywhere else, adding to the hundreds of riders who already live there. Several huge parking lots are full of cars with bike racks and two or three mountain bikes each, while the overflow parks in the next town and rides into Fairfax. There is a public monument to mountain biking. There are a half dozen businesses in Fairfax whose purpose is to cash in by catering to the mountain bikers. Soon there will be a museum of bicycling, adding another attraction to cyclists.

Money talks, and I would like to know about another town of this size where mountain biking has improved the economy as much as it has in Fairfax. A grateful town recognizes the people who made it the place that it is, while people who have never been there, reacting to blog comments, tell me that a town that hardly has room for another mountain biker sucks for mountain biking.

Could have kept your ignorance to yourself, but NOOOO....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What's funny about this diatribe is the fact that you have apparently never visited Fairfax.

The Fairfax economy practically runs on mountain biking. On a weekend you can't find a parking place in the town because of the hundreds of riders showing up from everywhere else, adding to the hundreds of riders who already live there. Several huge parking lots are full of cars with bike racks and two or three mountain bikes each, while the overflow parks in the next town and rides into Fairfax. There is a public monument to mountain biking. There are a half dozen businesses in Fairfax whose purpose is to cash in by catering to the mountain bikers. Soon there will be a museum of bicycling, adding another attraction to cyclists.

Money talks, and I would like to know about another town of this size where mountain biking has improved the economy as much as it has in Fairfax. A grateful town recognizes the people who made it the place that it is, while people who have never been there, reacting to blog comments, tell me that a town that hardly has room for another mountain biker sucks for mountain biking.

Could have kept your ignorance to yourself, but NOOOO....

Yes... yes... we understand that mountain bikers come hang out in Fairfax. But what about the TRAILS? I noticed you neglected to mention anything about the TRAILS. Give me a list. I wanna know what the goods are there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'd say Fruita, but I suspect it is way smaller than Fairfax...
Maybe Mt Snow is better because the legal mountain biking there SUCKS. Their race courses are closed to the public.

Nobody would be going to Plattekill in the off season if it wasn't for mountain biking either.

Last edited:

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
you bombed a fire road way back when.

big deal.

what kid hasn't hauled ass down a hill on a bike.....
Yeah, and what kid never went out and purchased digital timers to sort out who was fastest, and what kid never organized downhill races on dirt against the clock, and what kid never ponied up for a custom bike to do it on, and what kid never opened a shop to sell terribly expensive hand made bikes of a sort never seen on the market, and what kid never had his design copied by every bike manufacturer in the world, and what kid never organized a sanctioning body to govern the sport that he and his friends had come up with?

You're right, Everybody did it.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Yes... yes... we understand that mountain bikers come hang out in Fairfax. But what about the TRAILS? I noticed you neglected to mention anything about the TRAILS. Give me a list. I wanna know what the goods are there.
This just in. There are a many different opinions as to what makes a good mountain bike trail. The trails in Fairfax are obviously good enough to fill the town with mountain bikers, many of whom may not share your opinion on what they like to ride. If the trials are good enough to attract the huge crowds that we see, if the crowds are big enough to dominate the local economy,isn't that validation?

I have a blast riding out of Fairfax. The legal trails are better than the illegal trails were when I poached them 40 years ago. Please don't come here. It sucks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
This just in. There are a many different opinions as to what makes a good mountain bike trail. The trails in Fairfax are obviously good enough to fill the town with mountain bikers, many of whom may not share your opinion on what they like to ride. If the trials are good enough to attract the huge crowds that we see, if the crowds are big enough to dominate the local economy,isn't that validation?

I have a blast riding out of Fairfax. The legal trails are better than the illegal trails were when I poached them 40 years ago. Please don't come here. It sucks.
I approve of you ducking the question. :thumb:

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There are great trails in Marin, though most are illegal.
While the anti-bike mob is large, vocal and downright nasty at times their fervor makes it easy to justify bucking the system (which I feel will never change there) and poaching the goods.
Stay away from the Ranger and the worst you'll get is a dose of poison oak and a tongue lashing from some douche wearing a Namaste t-shirt.

Fairfax is a fun, stoney little town. An oasis in a sea of NorCal tools (except for Gary Fisher).
Hopefully they can take their bike related economic boom and sway the masses to be more tolerant of mtn bikers and realize the trails belong to everyone.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Thats what I am saying...ref the county trail report indicating less then 10% of trail space open to mountain bikes, other spaces requiring payment to ride there and other injustices perpetrated against us by the horsey loving populace of the area.

But I guess REAL mtb'ers go there to check out Joe Breezes old chamois, buy awesome t shirts and hang out where legends used to tread. Before they sold out that is. And as you have shooled us all on, money talks. Have fun exploiting the masses. I bet you do real well with tourists...

And dont worry, I for one will never step foot in Fairfax. I have too much fun riding decent places.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow. Just wow.

There are lots of great trails in Marin. But yeah, many are illegal, and most people are smart enough to not blab about the specifics on the internet. (Come on SS. Calling someone out for not naming trails is pretty lame. Maybe I'm giving you too much credit, but you know that.)

Fairfax actually makes a lot of sense for the Hall. Say what you want about origins, but there is no denying the area played a significant part in developing our sport. (Putting the Hall there isn't necessarily a statement that it all started there and nobody else anywhere played a part.) And apparently they couldn't keep the doors open at the prior location. Fairfax draws tons of people who are interested in bikes and who have the money to support this kind of thing.

I can understand apathy over this sort of thing, but not the outright hate.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Wow. Just wow.

There are lots of great trails in Marin. But yeah, many are illegal, and most people are smart enough to not blab about the specifics on the internet. (Come on SS. Calling someone out for not naming trails is pretty lame. Maybe I'm giving you too much credit, but you know that.)

Fairfax actually makes a lot of sense for the Hall. Say what you want about origins, but there is no denying the area played a significant part in developing our sport. (Putting the Hall there isn't necessarily a statement that it all started there and nobody else anywhere played a part.) And apparently they couldn't keep the doors open at the prior location. Fairfax draws tons of people who are interested in bikes and who have the money to support this kind of thing.

I can understand apathy over this sort of thing, but not the outright hate.
Naw - there's no hate. I never visited the HoF in the Butte either. Too busy riding trails when I'm there.

RR - I hope the museum makes a go of it in Fairfax. I apologize for piling on...

Just to show there are no hard feelings: here are all the great (and some not-so-great) trails in Crested Butte. - and some surrounding areas.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This begs the question of why one would want a hall of fame and where to put it so that it is "successful." Who do you want honored within, and who do you want visiting it? Do you want to make $$ off of it? Or just clear expenses? I would opine that a successful h.o.f needs more then just local devotees and practitioners of what is honored there. Hockey, football, baseball and even rock and roll have their own h.o.fs...and in the case of hockey there are several...yet these sports have been around for a looong time.

What bother's me most about this whole thread is the "You suck, you know nothing and I rule and know everything..." attitude of the o.p. Come down off your high horse and monkeys wont fling so much pooh at you...

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW so everyone knows, the legal trails in the north bay are better than all the illegal trails in the rest of the bay area.

No need to poach, just don't ride on crowded weekend times.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
What bother's me most about this whole thread is the "You suck, you know nothing and I rule and know everything..." attitude of the o.p. Come down off your high horse and monkeys wont fling so much pooh at you...
One thing that "bother's" me is people who never learned that the apostrophe indicates a possessive or a contraction, not a plural or a third person singular verb

I was a rock band roadie for 40+ years, and before that I served in the United States Army (E-5, Honorable). If you think the people here are insulting, you have never been insulted by a professional insulter who uses performance enhancing drugs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One thing that "bother's" me is people who never learned that the apostrophe indicates a possessive or a contraction, not a plural or a third person singular verb

I was a rock band roadie for 40+ years, and before that I served in the United States Army (E-5, Honorable). If you think the people here are insulting, you have never been insulted by a professional insulter who uses performance enhancing drugs.
you got insulted by lance derpstrong?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It took you that long to come up with that lame Grammar Nazi retort? Wow...a 40 year roadie for a band that I never heard of and an E5...I am so impressed. You have some serious skills dude...

Now stop bothering me...I have to go back and check my past posts for proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Sounds like you made some really bad choices. And that you're still angry about that.
If I'm not the luckiest guy who ever lived, I'm close enough to be ecstatic about it. I smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, I've been mountain biking with Bobby Weir, and when I met Janis Joplin, she was wearing red panties and red shoes.

I didn't choose to be in the Army. I was drafted in 1966 and served honorably. I'm proud of my service, because I can shove it in the faces of right wingers who think a "sacrifice" is skipping lunch.

The bike industry has honored me above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Big bike companies give me top of the line bikes, without my even asking. My name rides at the top of the list of MTB HoF inductees. Amazon just listed my mountain bike book for sale.

I had the best bike adventure, and the best rock 'n' roll adventure of the 20th Century. Most people don't even get one best adventure of the century. I had two.

I have a wonderful family. I'm 68 years old, I move pianos for a living and nothing hurts.

WTF is there to be angry about? I'm a ton luckier than anyone else I know about

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If I'm not the luckiest guy who ever lived, I'm close enough to be ecstatic about it. I smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, I've been mountain biking with Bobby Weir, and when I met Janis Joplin, she was wearing red panties and red shoes.

I didn't choose to be in the Army. I was drafted in 1966 and served honorably. I'm proud of my service, because I can shove it in the faces of right wingers who think a "sacrifice" is skipping lunch.

The bike industry has honored me above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Big bike companies give me top of the line bikes, without my even asking. My name rides at the top of the list of MTB HoF inductees. Amazon just listed my mountain bike book for sale.

I had the best bike adventure, and the best rock 'n' roll adventure of the 20th Century. Most people don't even get one best adventure of the century. I had two.

I have a wonderful family. I'm 68 years old, I move pianos for a living and nothing hurts.

WTF is there to be angry about? I'm a ton luckier than anyone else I know about
God has truly blessed you and your family...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...and the only time you come around here is to toot your own horn.

I admire what you have done to further a recreational pursuit that I love, and it seems you have had some really bitchin' experiences, but seriously, look back at your posting history here and ask what have I provided in the way of content or simple conversation? All we hear is how cool you are and how indebted we are to you for what you have done.

If you want Monkey acceptance, I would cool out a bit. Tell a fart joke or something...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Moral of the story: No matter how successful and/or experienced you are in this life, there's still a good chance you'll get suckered into arguing with a bunch of idiotic, middle-aged white men on the internet.