Quantcast

Mountain Cycle facepalm

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The picture is nothing. What's with that new bb idea? Another standard or do they rebadge something? In both cases extra lame.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
What the hell 35mm spindle cranks,now you can't even run other cranks for this frame:rofl:.Mountain cycle deffinitly knows how to make ugly DH frames

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
the people who made that tubing should be offended that this is how it's ended up

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I was shocked when I saw the Mountain Cycles booth. I thought they were long dead. I didn't spend much time looking at them. About as much time as the Ellsworths.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I saw these bikes in Taiwan and couldn't believe how wretched they looked. The sad part is that there is some seriously impressive tube shaping going on, it's just hideous in execution.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
slightly, but its svelte and balanced with its rear end. The mountain cycle has got a bigger front and smaller swing arm. The paint job doesn't seem to help

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, that Ellsworth is a joke. It looks just like a DARE from back in the day, but with an inturupted seattube. :confused:
I lost interest in it when I realised being a non us citizen made me not able to win it...to sell it.

Though I'm quite fond of my joker xc trailbike. It's a good bike and the xc versions didn't seem to crack.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Though I'm quite fond of my joker xc trailbike. It's a good bike and the xc versions didn't seem to crack.
amazing. (back in the day when the flow show was sponsored by elseworth) i witnessed cracks propagate in the brand new joker swingarm of tyler klassen's bike within a couple hours use @ whistler bikepark. he kept a spare swingarm in his truck for the inevitable deconstruction. the dares weren't much better - the headtube gussets would crack in multiple locations, and pieces sometimes fell off, so elesworth made these cnc'd bolt-on gusset reinforcements to keep them from falling apart / hide the destruction. good times.

with this model, seems they took the dare platform, reduced the travel to increase it's versatility, then fvcked up the seatube to negate said versatility. brilliant work.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
amazing. (back in the day when the flow show was sponsored by elseworth) i witnessed cracks propagate in the brand new joker swingarm of tyler klassen's bike within a couple hours use @ whistler bikepark. he kept a spare swingarm in his truck for the inevitable deconstruction. the dares weren't much better - the headtube gussets would crack in multiple locations, and pieces sometimes fell off, so elesworth made these cnc'd bolt-on gusset reinforcements to keep them from falling apart / hide the destruction. good times.

with this model, seems they took the dare platform, reduced the travel to increase it's versatility, then fvcked up the seatube to negate said versatility. brilliant work.
Well the Joker XC is not a park bike. It's a 4'' trailbike with a bit more agressive geo ( I think it gets 67deg at max travel of my 140mm fork). I'm not going to complain as I got it quite cheap for a new frame ;) It's not that I claim that I like Tony or the company but some of their trailbikes may even be good ;)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do people break them left and right? I had a dude blow through 4 swing arms on his ID, and another who broke like 3 rouges.
nope. not like they use to. my old shop saw a ton of them break left and right but surprisingly, we dont get that many at this one. nor do we get any c'dale's breaking either :shocked:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've always had a soft spot for MC. I owned both previous iterations of the Shockwave and raced downhill for them for a while. The aesthetics of the frame suck, but so does the GT. Way back when MC was bleeding edge. It would have been much cooler to see them come out with a gearbox bike, or something else that would cause them to stand out. Funny side note, long time ago they made a BMX frame that would accept an 8" disc brake.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
nope. not like they use to. my old shop saw a ton of them break left and right but surprisingly, we dont get that many at this one. nor do we get any c'dale's breaking either :shocked:
The last shop I was at was a HUGE Elsworth dealer. As of a year and a half ago, they still break.

Yea, in 4 years at a cannondale shop I honestly can't remember seeing a defective frame fail. We had a guy snap a jekyll cause he was doing some FR on it, other than that the only time they broke was when a car hit a roadie, or a roadie hit a wall.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It would help a ton if the designer didn't go for the gas task aesthetic for the TT on the new MCs. It didn't work for SC and it won't work here...

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
It would help a ton if the designer didn't go for the gas task aesthetic for the TT on the new MCs. It didn't work for SC and it won't work here...
I agree with you, but I think the most objectionable part of the frame is the swingarm; I've seen sleeker designs on supermarket bikes.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England

my riding Buddy has been rocking an Ellsworth Moment Mk II for several years - 2 vacation to the French Alps (overtaking dudes on DH bikes), lots of UK Uplift trips, DH races and aggressive FR sessions

no problems to report

the EW Epiphany and Moment are pretty solid bikes, and have done very well in the UK in bike magazine reviews and sales to real-world riders

the Mk1 Epiphany had a problem with the rocker which was magnesium alloy and too light, and could crack, these were replaced with a slightly heavier aluminium alloy rocker which works just fine

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
There's still a way out: call this one a prototype, let it get stolen, and start fresh!

edit: maybe grab that shock out of there first.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Leaving aside the aesthetics and poor construction quality, I personally don't like the brand for their constant BS policy when it comes to the suspension systems they use. The A.T.L.A.S. crap they came out with was simply astonishing. And the way they circumvented the Host Link patent by merely replacing the upper linkage by a construction-grade H-Beam was hilarious...