Quantcast

Mount Snow #1

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
My friend who was there asked me that as well. I hate the middle section of that course after you first drop into the woods (that rut was legitimately 2 feet deep) and to the end of the roots. Smelled a bunch of people smoking herb in various spots along the course

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
wooohaaat? we were all told at pats peak that Mt Snow was canceled....
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

However...I arrived at Mount Snow at about 1230 Saturday for practice, I go register, get dressed, and the second I get on my bike to ride over to the lift, it starts pouring, I mean like absolutely down pouring. The lift line immediately went from being about 50 people deep to no wait at all. It was wet and wild friends. I ended up doing about 6 or 7 runs, and of course it rained the entire time. Just after I finished practicing, the rain started to let up and then it stopped raining for a while, stormed again, and then was pretty much clear and windy for the rest of the night. Practice Sunday AM was a bit better, I was the first one down the course and it was definitely greasy. I waited for the course to get ridden in a bit and then went back up for another run and it was better. By the time of my race run, there were definitely ruts, and it was definitely slick still, but it kind of started to tack up and get a lot faster. I had a blast.

Honestly, the ruts really weren't as bad as people make them sound, they were totally rideable.

how long does it usually take for them to put up results?

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA

For Real. The race organizer at Pats Peak straight up said during the riders meeting that Mt Snow closed registration at 4 on Saturday and the race was canceled, and that they heard some people were going to make their way to the Pats Peak race and they would let them hop in for race runs...

While you guys were in a slop fest we were in bone dry loam that was getting blown the F up! It was so dope.

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Man.... wish I hit the Peak instead of Snow (freaking lift lines).

Who won the Peak?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I had fun at Snow, love that course. Sloppy as **** on Saturday but Sunday it dried up enough for some fun rut roostin. Hitting the slickrock highway at mach 10 always makes me giddy.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The announcer at pat's peak did say that the Mt. Snow race was cancelled due to lightning...Good to see that they kept going. Pat's Peak really got lucky on the weather though, it was hot and dusty all weekend...in fact some rain would have been nice to tame the dust.

Sam Mellen won the mens pro race...such a dope course, I don't think anyone there was too sad they missed snow.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Piper/A.P. - Maybe you guys were at a different riders' meeting, or maybe I was tuned out because I nearly broke my neck in my last practice run and subconciously knew I was about to snap my chain while warming up for the race, but I never heard the promoter say that the Mt. Snow race was cancelled. A couple of the lift operators mentioned Mt. Snow was "a rain-out", but they were only referring to weather (in their NH dialect); not that the race over there was called off. The organizer did mention that Mount Snow closed registration at 4 on Saturday and made reference to lightning (which almost shut down the Pat's Peak race LAST year), but I never heard anyone say Mt Snow was cancelled.

Anyway, Pat's Peak was totally sick. $50, a day and a half of practice, great vibe, Saturday night party with a fun band, AMAZING course, cool people, perfect weather . . . a total home run all the way around.

--JP

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ

However...I arrived at Mount Snow at about 1230 Saturday for practice, I go register, get dressed, and the second I get on my bike to ride over to the lift, it starts pouring, I mean like absolutely down pouring. The lift line immediately went from being about 50 people deep to no wait at all. It was wet and wild friends. I ended up doing about 6 or 7 runs, and of course it rained the entire time. Just after I finished practicing, the rain started to let up and then it stopped raining for a while, stormed again, and then was pretty much clear and windy for the rest of the night. Practice Sunday AM was a bit better, I was the first one down the course and it was definitely greasy. I waited for the course to get ridden in a bit and then went back up for another run and it was better. By the time of my race run, there were definitely ruts, and it was definitely slick still, but it kind of started to tack up and get a lot faster. I had a blast.

Honestly, the ruts really weren't as bad as people make them sound, they were totally rideable.

how long does it usually take for them to put up results?

Some of the best runs I've had this year were during that rainstorm, deep mud, warm enough temps so the rain wasn't cold & the course\lift pretty much to yourself for a couple hours, f*ckin' awesome!

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
I may be misinterpreting this, but it sounds like the Pat's Peak promoter/race organizer told people that Mount Snow was canceled in order to get more people at their race. That's totally lame and sketchy. I didn't go to Pat's Peak, and it seems like all of you that did you had a great time, but being dishonest with racers is totally lame.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I may be misinterpreting this, but it sounds like the Pat's Peak promoter/race organizer told people that Mount Snow was canceled in order to get more people at their race.
Not at all. They didn't say anything at all about Mount Snow until about 10 minutes before the start of the Pat's Peak race, and they only said that a few people had called Pat's Peak because they showed up at Mount Snow after 4PM on Saturday and weren't allowed to enter the SOBE race.

To Pat's Peak credit, they allowed anyone turned away at Mount Snow to come on over and enter the PP race, even after PP had closed registration earlier Sunday morning. Because it was a 2-run format at Pat's, there were a couple of would-be Mount Snow racers at Pats Peak whose first race run was their first ever ride down the course. A few of us were pep-talking these dudes at the start line, trying to give them info on lines, drops, and turns. Fun stuff.

--JP

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I may be misinterpreting this, but it sounds like the Pat's Peak promoter/race organizer told people that Mount Snow was canceled in order to get more people at their race. That's totally lame and sketchy. I didn't go to Pat's Peak, and it seems like all of you that did you had a great time, but being dishonest with racers is totally lame.
seeing as they told people this at the rider meeting 15 min before the race start I doubt they had any attention of diverting people from mt. snow. the only thing diverting me (and plenty more racers) from mt. snow was, well, mt. snow:plthumbsdown:

Pat's Peak was a pleasant surprise for sure. Had the laid back feel of New England DH racing from the mid 90's but with quality timing and an excellent course. Two thumbs up for having a computer screen at the finish so riders could see their time immediately and then watch as it constantly scrolled through the standings between finishers. Simple, but a lot of promoters could learn from it.

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
The computer screen was legitimate. Next year he said they would prob have a big screen board.

My only complaint was the finish for the course. It would have been sweet to have a couple wide open turns on the glades after the rock hip, and then a finish sprint down the road and onto the last bit of XC course and through their big finish line (would have made the times a bit longer and get us all more windeed, wasnt a very physically demanding course). Other than that, the course is top notch and it was great seeing organizers that truly cared about making the racers happy.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
They closed the lift Sat afternoon for about 1-1/2 hours because of lightning.
Beginners went first for race runs on Sunday and the slop and roots were nasty - I think it got better as the day went on and some good ruts got formed so it was better for the experts and Pros - but it was fun - went down 3-4 times on my race run in the roots and slop.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Dieter

Nice job on your race run - i think most people had a crash or two I know I had a less than stellar run. Go Gravity East!

Overall a great weekend hanging out and riding.

Rich

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Thanks, I'll get the hang of this yet - just have to not crash 3-4 times during my race runs - definitely a big challenge from racing BMX!Having a blast though!

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Yeah Neko is flying and it doesn't really matter what bike he rides - he makes them all go fast. Of course the 13 year old in Second place didn't do so bad either:twitch: