Quantcast

More info on the Thomson DM stem

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah Jerry at hippie techs been running the protos for a couple of years now.... Good looking product and solid...
Definently going to have to get one... Looks good and thomsons been a solid company!!!

Loaded the image for ya... LOL Im a picture guy, reading takes too long... :D

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Anyone know if/when Marz will change their upper crown to the RS DM bolt pattern? I heard about this a few weeks ago, but can't remember if it was from a reputable source.
I heard directly from a person at Marzocchi that 2011 or 2012 would bring a switch to the boxxer standard pattern. This was told to me last fall.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I heard directly from a person at Marzocchi that 2011 or 2012 would bring a switch to the boxxer standard pattern. This was told to me last fall.
so wait, we're finally gonna have a standard that's actually a standard?!

:shocked:

one down, a thousand more to go...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
color me frustrated at 45 and 55, but no 50mm...seems to be the magic number for most people...why change it?
Well, the new DW-DHR cockpit is a pinch shorter due to the 63 degree head angle. 55 degress put me right back where I was in terms of reach. I also have an Angleset that I can switch the head angle to 64 and slide my stanchions up or down, etc.
At 55 with the slightly lower mounting position and the fact that the 64 degree angle will in effect RAISE the front center...bingo!

Anyone confused? ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well, the new DW-DHR cockpit is a pinch shorter due to the 63 degree head angle. 55 degress put me right back where I was in terms of reach. I also have an Angleset that I can switch the head angle to 64 and slide my stanchions up or down, etc.
At 55 with the slightly lower mounting position and the fact that the 64 degree angle will in effect RAISE the front center...bingo!

Anyone confused? ;)
HUH!

If I wasnt a biker Id say you were a perv!!!! ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm with cableguy. Don't like the overhang, not very clean.

And if it's three times stronger than a crown, then they could make it lighter. :rolleyes:
Virtually unbreakable and still way light is ridiculously awesome. By not very clean do you mean..."doesn't have fancy swirly marks and bright colors and useless little bevels and speed holes drilled in it"?

Thomson:
Simple
Light
STOUT

I am such a bike whore. :D

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
That's how Thompson stuff is; muted, unremarkable looking, but light and reliable as hell. I personally think it's very tasteful.
I disagree. I love how their other stems (and seatposts) look. Has beautiful, clean lines. Unlike this fugly beast :eek:

Here's Point1 and Straitline as comparisons:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Chuck, it was just too big and obtrusive compared to other direct mount stems. When I first saw them on Brady's bike a couple years ago I remember being blown away with how big it looked. That said I have Thomson seat posts and x4 stems on every other bike I own.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I guess its to each thier own and all that. To me, the persist is slick and stylish, with beautiful machine work. The Function is brilliantly industrial, with sharper angles and a very businesslike appearance. WOuld look killer on a Nicolai I bet. :D

The THomson though..i dunno. Maybe its nicer in person than it is in that pic. Everything they make is so amazingly beautiful, I can't imagine they'd pop out a troll without noticing it.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I could care less how the Thomson DM stem looks

their sh*t is THE sh*t and I will always run their stems and seatposts on my bikes because they really know what they are doing as an aerospace manufacturer who makes their product "in house" with proper quality control and disregard for fashionable "trends"

160gm of 7000 series aluminium alloy is reassuring compared to all the DM stems made from cheaper and weaker 6000 alloy boasting "light weight" as their selling point

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
My 77 designz DM stem is made out of 7075 T6 aluminium alloy,weights 93 grammies incl Ti bolt hardware yes you heard it 93g!!.44mm stem,zero degrees rise & it's a super clean design.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I like it. I like the Function too, but agree that the Persist is fugly.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
My 77 designz DM stem is made out of 7075 T6 aluminium alloy,weights 93 grammies incl Ti bolt hardware yes you heard it 93g!!.44mm stem,zero degrees rise & it's a super clean design.

Very nice indeed! A part of me worries about the strength of that design though.

I'll stick with my Point 1.

EDIT: And I don't like stripping my bars to remove them, especially for travel.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
EDIT: And I don't like stripping my bars to remove them, especially for travel.
You'd just unbolt the stem from the crown if you were just travelling?

Thomson stem doesn't do it for me at this stage but maybe in the flesh it would look better. Wish they'd make an I-beam post - thats something I'd buy pronto.