Quantcast

Monday, Monday

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
i forget which brand it is....kia or huyndai....where the mechanic is counting all the warranty replacement engines in the shop...8+ i think....2 brands i will never consider....
In highschool autoshop we had a deal with the local Hyundai dealer, they gave us all the blown up engines we wanted, and after we tore them down and did whatever we wanted to do learning-wise they got to come get the scrap and drop off more. We had dozens at any given time, the warranty coverage is good, but necessary.

I've heard they got better since then, but still have a friend with a 2016 Sonata with a failed engine at 128k, dealer's working with her, but 128k is nothing for any other modern engine.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
In highschool autoshop we had a deal with the local Hyundai dealer, they gave us all the blown up engines we wanted, and after we tore them down and did whatever we wanted to do learning-wise they got to come get the scrap and drop off more. We had dozens at any given time, the warranty coverage is good, but necessary.

I've heard they got better since then, but still have a friend with a 2016 Sonata with a failed engine at 128k, dealer's working with her, but 128k is nothing for any other modern engine.
my favorite vw engine....2slo....non interference....

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Hyundai?

I think @boogenman has some first hand experience with that..
A whole bunch of the 2.4 liter Theta II engines along with some of the 2.0 liter and 2.0 liter turboTheta II had some improperly machined crankshafts. It leads to knocking, engine failure and seizing. The replacement engines do not have the issue and are covered for the lifetime of the car even with multiple owners. They will also replace a faulty engine on a car that is well out of warranty. I saw a new engine go into a 10 year old Sonata with 200,000 miles on the clock free of charge to the customer.
We do keep a few engines in stock, 2-3 day turn around if your engine does quit or the knock sensor goes off. All of the cars with the affected engines were issued a recall to have the more sensitive knock sensors installed to reduce failure while operating the vehicle.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
i forget which brand it is....kia or huyndai....where the mechanic is counting all the warranty replacement engines in the shop...8+ i think....2 brands i will never consider....
Our mechanics actually like the engine jobs now. After doing so many they know what they are doing. I think they are paid 8 hours and they can do one in 5 hours. I have watched them from time to time, it would take me about 100 hours.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I got the impression it had something to do with the traveling part, not the injury risk.
Injury is the fear. Fast crashes and scary. Despite the amount of safety gear that goes into it vs. gymnastics/cheer/soccer. It's largely untraditional, which doesn't help.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Our mechanics actually like the engine jobs now. After doing so many they know what they are doing. I think they are paid 8 hours and they can do one in 5 hours. I have watched them from time to time, it would take me about 100 hours.
all engine changes should be this easy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
they had a 20% rif at Ruths job with email notifications supposed to go out at 1800 PST it's now 1830 and no notice so it would appear that she made the cut

on my end I just received the electronic copy of the CHP's Renewal of our permit to operate ambulances in California, So I guess I am still employed too.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I crashed hiking. Yes it’s fucking possible to crash without a bike. Hooked a stick root combo that basically made me endo. With all that weight it’s like getting body slammed. No momentum to work with, just splat. Hiking sucks…

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I crashed hiking. Yes it’s fucking possible to crash without a bike. Hooked a stick root combo that basically made me endo. With all that weight it’s like getting body slammed. No momentum to work with, just splat. Hiking sucks…
I'm not sure what the hiking equivalent of training wheels is.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The normal big brands but shops never have any bikes in stock that I would buy and no test options. Not very motivating when you are looking to spend 7000-8000 USD. I might just give up and keep riding my old GT.
Then you might as well go mailorder. What about Propain?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That is a solution for sure. Propain their trail bike is too much travel. The trail I ride weekly are just not very demanding and good geo 120mm seems perfect?
Have you looked at Canyon?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
But you know, it climbs like a XC hardtail and descents like a DH bike. :sarcastic:
Most trails here are not that demanding, but if it is your only bike it needs to cover your out-of-town riding as well. Lately some spicy optional lines are popping up on trails everywhere.
This is why I enjoy my modded Tazer 4X bike so much: light and nible but also can take a harder hit combined with phenomenal cornering. But 26". ;-)
Dartmoore Bluebird 27.5 would be high on my list if I had to build a bike for fun Danish riding ATM.

To be able to hang with XC buddies, weights over 13 kg are a no-no for me. All these shorter travel trail/DC bikes are just too porky. Last Asco is light but €€€€€€€.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
But you know, it climbs like a XC hardtail and descents like a DH bike. :sarcastic:
Most trails here are not that demanding, but if it is your only bike it needs to cover your out-of-town riding as well. Lately some spicy optional lines are popping up on trails everywhere.
This is why I enjoy my modded Tazer 4X bike so much: light and nible but also can take a harder hit combined with phenomenal cornering. But 26". ;-)
Dartmoore Bluebird 27.5 would be high on my list if I had to build a bike for fun Danish riding ATM.

To be able to hang with XC buddies, weights over 13 kg are a no-no for me. All these shorter travel trail/DC bikes are just too porky. Last Asco is light but €€€€€€€.
I agree I don't want a porky bike that is too heavy above 13kg that is slow and boring on the flat sections. Then I might as well just keep my GT.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i keep them loose enough i've never had an issue with wrist pain, thankfully.
Nah, that’s not what I’m talking about. Straps are dangerous and an unnecessary throw back from their origins in skiing. Straps were there to keep you from losing them down a slope. It’s some weird, archaic practice that a lot hikers cling to. Some go so far as to preach proper technique for using the straps. But I have fallen enough times to know that if I was still attached to the trekking poles I would most definitely ended up with a wrist, elbow or shoulder injury. Would you ride a bike with wrist straps ? I think not.